Thinking of selling my LCD-2... what's next?
Aug 15, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #16 of 56
Sounds like the T1 is really worth a look but I'm hesitant to give it a go if the synergy with the Lyr is poor. I probably jus need to find a mini-meet up here in the Sac area and give a few things a try. I really want to hear the T1, Fostex, and LCD-3 and be able to compare them with what I have now and the HD800 to see what I prefer. Whatever change I make will probably be my only rig for the next year or so until I'm bored of it.

Aug 15, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #17 of 56
The T1 has a very nice sound.  I would describe it as natural, though i realize measurements and opinions may say otherwise.  People always point out the huge spike in the freq response, but I quite like their presentation.  It has a lot of treble energy but I've never found it harsh; vocals sound smooth as silk.  The bass impact is there and sounds very tight to me, not bloated at all. 

I've been alternating between the T1 and LCD2, and while I enjoy the LCD2 with most of my rock/metal, the T1 is the clear winner for vocal / acoustic / classical.

....in my opinion of course.

Aug 15, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #18 of 56
Most will disagree, but Ultrasone Edition 10 may be considered, too.

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #19 of 56
Quote:
The T1 has a very nice sound.  I would describe it as natural, though i realize measurements and opinions may say otherwise.  People always point out the huge spike in the freq response, but I quite like their presentation.  It has a lot of treble energy but I've never found it harsh; vocals sound smooth as silk.  The bass impact is there and sounds very tight to me, not bloated at all. 

I've been alternating between the T1 and LCD2, and while I enjoy the LCD2 with most of my rock/metal, the T1 is the clear winner for vocal / acoustic / classical.

....in my opinion of course.

I've always liked most of the Beyer sound just never enough to keep them for any length of time. They always seemed like a jack of most trades master of none and as such were constantly eclipsed by competing manufacturers in similar price ranges. The DT880 isn't bad but there is something strident and digital sounding about it that I just never cared for.
Quote:
Most will disagree, but Ultrasone Edition 10 may be considered, too.

Thanks for the rec but if I'm honest I've never been much of a fan of the Ultrasone house sound, although I've not heard anything from them since the ED8 but it was underwhelming to my ears (or I'd had just too much time listening to my PS-1's.)

I've got a LCD-3 on the way to me to demo and I'm still eyeballing HD800 possibly with a Zeus cable and a warmer dac than the bifrost but I want to hear a T1 and HE500 first.

Aug 19, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #20 of 56
Aug 19, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #21 of 56
The HE-500 is not a good recommendation. He's coming from a dark headphone LCD-2 and you
recommend another dark headphone....huh...

Really if not the HD800 then something with that level of detail and a fun bottom end would be the T1.
An even better option would be the HE-6, but that does commit you to buying another amp.

Aug 19, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #23 of 56
Quote:
Hifimans have treble spikes.  I really wouldn't consider them dark.

Are you primarily referring to the HE-400?

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #24 of 56
Consider going to Stax? At this level, you could try out the SR-007 (try to find a mk1) and a good amp. A bit more lively than the LCD2 but with the speed, clarity and depth of soundstage of the HD800. They're still a mostly dark headphone but their treble isn't quite as shelved as the LCD2. It won't have the bass impact or slam of the dynamics but the emotion in the vocals is absolutely there in spades.

Alternately, The LCD3 sounded a lot better than the LCD2 to me. Much better soundstage for one thing, but they're still quite dark. But these have incredible bass. slam and texture and subtlety.

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #25 of 56
Quote:
Are you primarily referring to the HE-400?

HE-500 and HE-6 have them too according to objective measurements and subjective impressions of others.  A lot of people prefer the HE-500 over the LCD-2 for that reason alone.

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #26 of 56
Quote:

HE-500 and HE-6 have them too according to objective measurements and subjective impressions of others.  A lot of people prefer the HE-500 over the LCD-2 for that reason alone.

The HE-500 is dark, but does have treble presence. Not the wonky type the HE-400 has. And the HE-6 is just balanced through and through
unless you have crap amplification, then it sounds bright, rought, edgy harsh, etc.

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #27 of 56
Something that's dark and having treble presence is an oxymoron.  I don't find the HE-400 to have wonky treble at all.  There's nothing uncharacteristically off timbre about it.  The HE-400 might suffer from a laid-back 5-6khz upper midrange, but better to have that than have over-agressive upper midrange that many other audiophile oriented headphones have.

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #28 of 56
Quote:
Something that's dark and having treble presence is an oxymoron.  I don't find the HE-400 to have wonky treble at all.  There's nothing uncharacteristically off timbre about it.  The HE-400 might suffer from a laid-back 5-6khz upper midrange, but better to have that than have over-agressive upper midrange that many other audiophile oriented headphones have.

That's just reading too much into words. 

You may not and others might not either. However I, as well as others do. Just different interpretations.

To get back on topic, I don't think the HE-500 is a good replacement to his LCD-2 because it's too alike.

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #30 of 56
Quote:
Sounds like the T1 is really worth a look but I'm hesitant to give it a go if the synergy with the Lyr is poor. I probably jus need to find a mini-meet up here in the Sac area and give a few things a try. I really want to hear the T1, Fostex, and LCD-3 and be able to compare them with what I have now and the HD800 to see what I prefer. Whatever change I make will probably be my only rig for the next year or so until I'm bored of it.

I picked up a pair of T1's,a few weeks ago
I also own the Lcd2's
I was looking for something that would balance out ,the SQ of my setup...Lyr/Bifrost..usually with the Mullard cv2493,or cv2492 tubes..if I am listening to rock..I'll switch over the the Rca blackplates,or cleartops...I have many,many tubes..lorenzes,CCa's,telefunkens..so I try to use a tube that will give me good results,with what I am listening to ,at that time
The T'1's were bought from another head-fier,who,modded them slightly,to give a very slight increase  bass
When I first got them,I felt,they were still too bright,but after 8-10 hours of listening ,I really started to like them,especially with acoustic guitar,& classical music.

I  strongly urge you to at least try these headphones..the detail is amazing..& I find myself using them 75% of the time
Also,please note--they are extremely comfortable.,and lets you emerse yourself in the music.
I can easily wear these for 8-10 hours without fatigue,something I cannot do with my Lcd's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back