Thinking about picking up the Eastsound CD-E5
Nov 20, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #1,082 of 1,228
Quote:

So if you use the RCA outs, the tube is in the output and you get tube coloration - great for some CDs and bad for others.

Keep in mine that the source component, being early in your component chain has an emphasized effect on the sound since any problems there are amplified twice in the second part of the chain - your preamp and then your amplifier. That is why I don't like a tubed source - tube coloration there is amplified later.

I only like a solid state CD source, with Class A and no opamps in its output.

Then I add some timbral body to the source signal with a tube preamp, and then I restore detail, focused imagery, dynamics, transient impact, and deep and well defined bass with a solid state amp. I can vary the added tone body (richness, liquidity. lushness, etc.) by tube changes in my preamp while still having the great solid state characteristics in my amp.

This approach is in both my home speaker and headphone systems. In my headphone amp, it is a hybrid design that uses 3 6NS7 tubes in a tube pre-amp or input stage then uses Toshiba MOSFETS in a solid state amp or output stage. I change tubes to dial in the amount of timbral body and lushness I want while still getting the graet solid state sound characteristics. I can go from totally natural and realsitic sound to totally enjoyable but colored tube sound, while not having the tone leanness you get with any solid state equipment made.

For me, there is no better way, and I have audioned systems costing more than $100,000.

The E5 gives me very natural and realistic timbre, great image focus with proper placement, fore and aft, of instruments in the soundstage, and a minimum of digital hash or harshness. And at a insanely low price!

Nov 21, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #1,083 of 1,228
Arrrrrgggg! My E5 just broke also. I was playing then just stopped in the middle of a song and now it won't read any discs.

I got it two weeks ago, and haven't played it a whole lot.

This sucks, I got it to replace a CDP that was skipping.

-bdh

Nov 21, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #1,084 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdh
Arrrrrgggg! My E5 just broke also. I was playing then just stopped in the middle of a song and now it won't read any discs.

I got it two weeks ago, and haven't played it a whole lot.

This sucks, I got it to replace a CDP that was skipping.

-bdh

Contact Snowy Law at info@cattylink.com

Nov 21, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #1,085 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
So if you use the RCA outs, the tube is in the output and you get tube coloration - great for some CDs and bad for others.

Keep in mine that the source component, being early in your component chain has an emphasized effect on the sound since any problems there are amplified twice in the second part of the chain - your preamp and then your amplifier. That is why I don't like a tubed source - tube coloration there is amplified later.

I only like a solid state CD source, with Class A and no opamps in its output.

Then I add some timbral body to the source signal with a tube preamp, and then I restore detail, focused imagery, dynamics, transient impact, and deep and well defined bass with a solid state amp. I can vary the added tone body (richness, liquidity. lushness, etc.) by tube changes in my preamp while still having the great solid state characteristics in my amp.

This approach is in both my home speaker and headphone systems. In my headphone amp, it is a hybrid design that uses 3 6NS7 tubes in a tube pre-amp or input stage then uses Toshiba MOSFETS in a solid state amp or output stage. I change tubes to dial in the amount of timbral body and lushness I want while still getting the graet solid state sound characteristics. I can go from totally natural and realsitic sound to totally enjoyable but colored tube sound, while not having the tone leanness you get with any solid state equipment made.

For me, there is no better way, and I have audioned systems costing more than $100,000.

The E5 gives me very natural and realistic timbre, great image focus with proper placement, fore and aft, of instruments in the soundstage, and a minimum of digital hash or harshness. And at a insanely low price!

Yeah, you maybe right, the E5 could give me better result in my system. But the problem, there is no dealer here to try it. I don't have a flowing cash that is why I want to thank you for this type of comments
biggrin.gif

Is there still reliability issue with the E5?

Nov 21, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #1,086 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by hendrix142002
Yeah, you maybe right, the E5 could give me better result in my system. But the problem, there is no dealer here to try it. I don't have a flowing cash that is why I want to thank you for this type of comments
biggrin.gif

Never was a reliability issue - just seems that way since nearly all E5 owners who have had problems seem to announce this publicly here.

E5 problems have been about 1% - they sell 100 or more a month worldwide. This is a very low problem rate.

The problems center on the transport - a Philips VAM 1202 (with an Eastsound added optical preamp). This is a excellent performing and reliable transport - inexpensive, easily replaced by the owner with instructions I can provide, and widely available worldwide.

Nov 21, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #1,087 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by hendrix142002

I don’t think the issue is with the E5’s reliability, but that the transport is fragile and I would bet more often then not when someone’s E5 has a problem it is as a result of the handling during shipment. This has been my experience. Even though, Snowy at CattyLink does everything within his power to ensure that it is extremely well packed sometimes the delivery process can be taxing on the transport.

Quote:

The problems center on the transport - a Philips VAM 1202 (with an Eastsound added optical preamp). This is a excellent performing and reliable transport - inexpensive, easily replaced by the owner with instructions I can provide, and widely available worldwide.

I can attest that Snowy and Art were extremely helpful when my transport had a problem. Further, it was a pretty easy quick fix.

Nov 21, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #1,088 of 1,228
Quote:

Never was a reliability issue - just seems that way since nearly all E5 owners who have had problems seem to announce this publicly here.

E5 problems have been about 1% - they sell 100 or more a month worldwide. This is a very low problem rate.

I am wondering how hard it would be to replace the VAM1202 with the world class VAM1250. The VAM1250 can be bought for $75 U.S. new.

Nov 21, 2005 at 6:19 PM Post #1,089 of 1,228
Yes, I'd also like to know if the VAM1250 can be used, it seems more reliable and also offers CDRW playback (not available on the stock Eastsound).

Looking at the pictures of them, it seems they have the same shape and dimensions:

VAM1202:
vam1202a04x500.jpg

VAM1250:
vam1250a12x500.jpg

However, the VAM1250 has that flex ribbon coming out the bottom. I've not looked at these two in person, so I am curious if the electical connectors are pin-compatible.

Nov 21, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #1,090 of 1,228
Nov 21, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #1,092 of 1,228
Quote:

Can I ask where you get these definitive figures from ?. Do you personally know all the E5 owners
biggrin.gif
and where do you get the 100 a month and 1% figures from.

I would also humbly suggest that someone whose CD player had just stopped playing after n weeks would regard it as a reliability problem , regardless of it's etiology.

That the transport can be replaced easily is neither here nor there, buying a costly product that dies is the problem. This is a shame as I am interested in the E5 but these problems do put me off somewhat.

Nov 21, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #1,093 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
That the transport can be replaced easily is neither here nor there, buying a costly product that dies is the problem. This is a shame as I am interested in the E5 but these problems do put me off somewhat.

Well, this thread is already way long...

Would it make you happier if everyone who has bought an E5 and HASN'T had any problem speaks up on this thread? It's the nature of humans on the internet to only squeal if they get stuck
smily_headphones1.gif

Mine is problem free.

Nov 21, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #1,094 of 1,228
Quote:

Can I ask where you get these definitive figures from? Do you personally know all the E5 owners? And where do you get the 100 a month and 1% figures from.

I agree, throwing around random numbers is not helpfull. Quote:

I would also humbly suggest that someone whose CD player had just stopped playing after n weeks would regard it as a reliability problem, regardless of it's etiology.

That person would be thinking with their heart and not their head. One person having an issue does not mean there is a reliability problem. Neither does 10. The fact that this is the only english speaking place that is discussing this CD player in any detail means that all of those with issues will eventually ask for assistance here. Personally, I think the fact that Cattylink has been so quick to assist the few owners that are having problems speaks highly of them. Quote:

buying a costly product that dies is the problem

This player is a steal at the price they are selling them for and the performance you get for it... I was very uncertain when I imported my player from China because nothing was known of Cattylink or Eastsound at the time, but it is really a no brainer now I would say.

Nov 21, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #1,095 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by maf_au
Well, this thread is already way long...

Would it make you happier if everyone who has bought an E5 and HASN'T had any problem speaks up on this thread? It's the nature of humans on the internet to only squeal if they get stuck
smily_headphones1.gif

Mine is problem free.

I think that the part that worries people is not the fact that there is an amount of people with problems, but the fact that they all apparently have the exact same problem. But for what it's worth, if I just needed a cd player without additional D/A functionality, I'd probably go with the E5...

/JF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back