Thinking about picking up the Eastsound CD-E5
Nov 15, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #1,066 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
Yes yes cables are mighty fun... almost as much fun as tubes... wish I could DIY tubes
icon10.gif

well, you probably could. the investment may not be worth it, however
wink.gif

Nov 15, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #1,067 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
I am real... take a look at any industry... GE kitchen products has a failure rate of something like .005% and thats for a $30 blender... I would certainly hope Eastsound had higher standards... imagine 1 out of every 100 planes crashing, 1 out of every pace makers failing... heck anything. 5% is even better thats 1 in 20.

and that is completely unacceptable for NAD I hope someone got fired for that one.

All that aside... are the parts to repair it readily available in the US? or have you ordered spares from China?

NAD solved their problems - they have been reliable now for years. The laser is the problem with any transport - the Philips transport and laser is as reliable as any made, if not the most reliable. They have a life of about 7 years - if they don't have early failure. Put a laser in GE kitchen products and watch the failure rate zoom up. I have seen a price of $24 for the Philips 1202 laser here in the states.

The Philips VAM 1202 is widely used in many CDP and will be readily available for years to come.

Nov 15, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #1,068 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
NAD solved their problems - they have been reliable now for years. The laser is the problem with any transport - the Philips transport and laser is as reliable as any made, if not the most reliable. They have a life of about 7 years - if they don't have early failure. Put a laser in GE kitchen products and watch the failure rate zoom up. I have seen a price of $24 for the Philips 1202 laser here in the states.

The Philips VAM 1202 is widely used in many CDP and will be readily available for years to come.

ah cool i didnt know thats what the E5 used....darn...must not get E5, have no desk space, DAC fine
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
well, you probably could. the investment may not be worth it, however
wink.gif

Says you! Ill make the best tubes ever!
icon10.gif

Nov 15, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #1,070 of 1,228
we also had someone else comparing to the grace m902, who believed the Eastsound lacked dynamics and detail compared, but was smoother and easier to listen to ... havent heard the m902 but sounds like a fair comparison.

Nov 15, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #1,071 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
we also had someone else comparing to the grace m902, who believed the Eastsound lacked dynamics and detail compared, but was smoother and easier to listen to ... havent heard the m902 but sounds like a fair comparison.

Yes, but this test was done on the balanced outputs. Completely different output stage that is OPAMP based. The RCA outs have a discrete output stage that is far superior.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #1,072 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Yes, but this test was done on the balanced outputs. Completely different output stage that is OPAMP based. The RCA outs have a discrete output stage that is far superior.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh Shucks I didnt notice
eek.gif

I know its far superior hahah, well even though I have grados, i wouldnt exactly say my system is overly dynamic (tube amp, ic's probably cause that). cant wait for Dynahi + K3000 though
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 17, 2005 at 2:03 PM Post #1,073 of 1,228
This will be my first post.

I'm currently using a Consonance Ref 2.2 which I had upgraded some of the parts. I'm just curious, has anybody been able to hear The REf 2.2 and E5 side by side? Will it be a better option for me to get the E5?

P1000786.jpg

Thanks

Nov 17, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #1,074 of 1,228
My E-5 arrived last night after finally clearing Brazilian customs. I have to say I think it is a fantastic machine. My Marantz was no slouch but in terms of timing, detail, soundstage etc. the E-5 really does take it to the next level and this is just on a preliminary listening session straight out of the box with run of the mill interconnects. Thanks to everyone for their advice over the last several weeks. I am still confined to speaker listening through my TDLs at the moment (can't complain!) until the PPX SLAM arrives.
Cheers
James

Nov 17, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #1,075 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicks7
My E-5 arrived last night after finally clearing Brazilian customs. I have to say I think it is a fantastic machine. My Marantz was no slouch but in terms of timing, detail, soundstage etc. the E-5 really does take it to the next level and this is just on a preliminary listening session straight out of the box with run of the mill interconnects. Thanks to everyone for their advice over the last several weeks. I am still confined to speaker listening through my TDLs at the moment (can't complain!) until the PPX SLAM arrives.
Cheers
James

icon10.gif
...just wait util she is burnt in and set up with some nice cables and the SLAM... you will be one happy man! Glad it finally arrived
icon10.gif

Nov 17, 2005 at 10:47 PM Post #1,076 of 1,228
That's going to be a sweet set-up, I was listening to a Supra hooked up to an E5 last weekend, and although it was excellent, i believe the slam set-up will enhance the E5 sound signature more vigoriously.

Nov 17, 2005 at 11:10 PM Post #1,077 of 1,228
Pleased to hear it
icon10.gif

I guess Mikhail is pretty busy at the moment but I am hoping the SLAM will arrive within the next few weeks. Shame I cannot also run the SLAM and the E-5 through my speakers as well........

Nov 18, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #1,078 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicks7
Pleased to hear it
icon10.gif

I guess Mikhail is pretty busy at the moment but I am hoping the SLAM will arrive within the next few weeks. Shame I cannot also run the SLAM and the E-5 through my speakers as well........

You can use a 1/4" to RCA adapter coming from the headphone output and run the SLAM as a preamp.
wink.gif

The IC may need to be fairly long but this works fine when I have used my Singlepowers in this fashion for preamp duty. The only problem you may have is if the amp has so to much gain. If so ..... you will have virtually no range on your volume control.

Nov 18, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #1,079 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by hendrix142002

I'm currently using a Consonance Ref 2.2 which I had upgraded some of the parts. I'm just curious, has anybody been able to hear The REf 2.2 and E5 side by side? Will it be a better option for me to get the E5?

P1000786.jpg

Thanks

Good Gosh!
eggosmile.gif
Two huge power supplies and a bunch of very large caps.
basshead.gif

Nov 18, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #1,080 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by hendrix142002

Thanks

Ask Snowy Law at infor@cattylink.com - likely familar with both units.

It would come down to listener preference of sound signature.

I have a bias against a tubed source - I think tubes should only be used in the preamp stage of a system. The second order harmonic emphasis of tubes should be blended with the higher order emphasis of solid state IMO to get the best characteristics of both with a natural and uncolored timbral body. I like a SS source, a tube preamp (or first amplification stage), and a solid state final amplification stage. My home and headphone system does this and I love both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back