Think I'm getting Carpal Tunnel Syndrome...
Apr 5, 2004 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Stephonovich

Headphoneus Supremus
Dunno if this should go in CI or not, but what the heck... mods, move it if you deem neccesary.

I think I'm getting CTS. Recently I've noticed my right wrist aching, feeling funny and cold when I flex it, and overall weird feelings. It's the one I use for my mouse. It's funny, too, as I've got ergo pads, or whatever you call them, for the keyboard and mouse. My arm isn't at a real funny angle for the mouse, I'd say pretty straight. Only thing I can think of is that my forearm hangs down at an angle from my wrist, as the mouse is near the edge of the table. On the other computer, the mouse is farther up, so my whole arm is supported, and I don't notice pain on that one as much.

I've got a chiropracter appointment soon anyway, so I'll mention this to him, but dang... a friend of mine had CTS and had to stay off the computer for 3 months or something like that. I think that'd kill me
frown.gif

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 5, 2004 at 6:54 AM Post #2 of 18
I recently got hit by this crazy pain right around the lower right area of my left wrist, with the area swelling up and everything. It lasted only for about a day though, and slowly faded away the next couple days. But man, if that's what CTS feels like, consider me living in fear of it.
eek.gif
I totally couldn't even put any weight on that wrist, and any slight movements hurt like crazy. A bit strange though that it'd be my left wrist, I'm right handed and I mouse with my right hand.

After that epsiode, it made me what to run out and buy one of those split keyboards...

Apr 5, 2004 at 6:58 AM Post #3 of 18
In looking, yeah, my right wrist is a bit swelled. The bones and veins aren't very well defined now. Ouch. Methinks I'll be getting off the computer...

It happened once before during a very long IM session, except it was gone the next day.

As for split keyboard, I don't care how good they are for you, I can't stand them. Give me a Standard 101 any day, thankyouverymuch.

Anyhoo, perhaps I'll go soak it with some magnesium sulfate (aka Epsom Salt) for a while. Can't hurt.

Apr 5, 2004 at 7:20 AM Post #4 of 18
get a chair with arm supports. Adjust the arm height to the same height as the table top surface. lay off the games for awhile. If its the bone connected to your pointing finger, you've got it or are over stressing it. start using your left hand for shor cuts (control and alt keys, or the windows key) more.

good luck.

Apr 5, 2004 at 7:52 AM Post #5 of 18
Ever considered using a trackball? Kensington makes some good ones:

http://www.kensington.com/html/2200.html

Unless a hardcore gamer, a trackball can be surprisingly handy. I used one (Logitech Marble Mouse) for about 6 months, but ended up in getting a regular mouse because of a certain game (Ultima Online). It takes a good while getting used to, but FPS's are very playable with a trackball, too. Also you won't have anyone wanting to play on your PC
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 5, 2004 at 7:59 AM Post #7 of 18
well we learned that the way to diagnose carpal tunnel is to push the back of your hands and wrists together in kind of an inverted prayer hands position and see if it brings about your symptoms. also you can tap your wrist above the carpal tunnel and see if that brings about your symptoms. phalens test is the first and tinnels test is the second one if i recall correctly.

unfortunately as a first year med student we only learn how to diagnose things. we don't know jack about curing anything.

Apr 5, 2004 at 8:55 AM Post #8 of 18
Do you feel any numbness on the palmar surface of your thumb or pointing finger?

usc goose - CTS is median nerve compression in the carpal tunnel isn't it?

Usually, they drain the carpal tunel anatomical compartment with a syringe to remove the effusion and hopefully relieve symptoms. I think that is right.

I'm only a second year student myself.

Apr 5, 2004 at 8:59 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by HappymaN
usc goose - CTS is median nerve compression in the carpal tunnel isn't it?

hey you should be telling me right?
tongue.gif

Apr 5, 2004 at 11:25 AM Post #10 of 18
Just asked me mate - he says to percuss (tap with the pad of your middle finger) your carpal tunnel with your index finger. If you feel numbness or pins and needles in your thumb and index finger, that is a positive sign for CTS.

Come on Goose, you should know this.
wink.gif
I did this stuff in first year - that's why I can't remember it.
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #11 of 18
Thread hi-jack:

HappyMan,

That's one nice looking system you have there.

-----------------------------------------------------
Steven,

You may want to start always "flicking" your hand back and forth very quickly a lot. (like throwing dice end move); that and always carrying around a rubber ball which you can squeeze. Just don't do so much that you hurt your hands.

http://yourmedicalsource.com/library...revention.html

Apr 5, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #12 of 18
Lots of good advice in this thread. Also, get rid of those "ergo pads" you're using under your mouse and keyboard. Part of the problem with CTS is compression of the nerve; when you rest your wrist on a pad you're only increasing the pressure. It's worth checking out ergonomics sites and making sure your workstation is set up correctly.

Apr 6, 2004 at 3:01 AM Post #14 of 18
I did the tests you all recommended, and nothing happened. Perhaps it's early enough that it doesn't show. I'll see about getting an extendible tray or something, though. My grandparents had one, and it is very nice. Your entire arm is supported.

As for the exercises, I flick my mousing wrist subconsciously. My mom pointed it out to me, every now and then, I just raise my hand up and flick my wrist hard then go back to doing whatever. I never noticed it until awhile ago.

Oh, and wali, I don't game nearly as much as I do web surfing. Head-Fi is almost constantly open, and I check /., Fark, and a few others fairly regularly. Combine that with e-mailing and other random crap, and I spend entirely too much time on the internet.

Thanks for all the help, anyhoo.

Apr 6, 2004 at 4:12 AM Post #15 of 18
I've known far too many people who have gotten CTS to one degree or another.

It really comes down some people being more supceptible to it, and how you hold your mouse. The mouse is simply one of the worst inventions ergonomically.

I'm exaggerating a little bit here, but you should use your hand sideways like you are holding a cup. Although, you will be holding it more diagnolly though. That way you push the mouse around with your hand and fingers, rather than resting your hand flat on top of the mouse and move your hand, wrist, and arm only.

OK, to be a bit crude to get my point across,(and since my digicam is a piece of sh1t and no longer working) if you hold your hand out, palm facing the floor, and angle your hand up and down, in a "limp" wristed fashion, that is a more natural way of moving your wrist. With your palm still facing down, if you angle your wrist side to side, you are essentially making the same motion as when you use a mouse. This motion is called "ulnar deviation" which basically will strain muscles on the insides of your wrist, causing them to swell and pinch the infamous nerves running down the middle of your wrist. So the "masturbating motion" (for guys) is the bad one. The "smacking motion" is the good one.

If the damage is already done, than wrist braces will be in your future.

Or try avoiding mice altogether. I use Wacom tablets mostly instead of a mouse. Mainly because I find it difficult to draw with a brick.

When was the last time you heard someone getting CTS from using a pen or pencil?

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back