Thieaudio Monarch MKIII impressions, reviews, and pictures thread
Mar 23, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #601 of 726
You need to specify your needs, because there are so many possibilities by dongles:
Battery inside (Y/N), DAC (delta-sigma (which chip), 1bit, R2R), Bluetooth (Y/N), Amp (discreet, chip), Volume implementation (independent hardware volume, not independent, no volume control), Display (Y/N), form-factor (maximum portability or not), etc.. etc..

Battery (Y) but ability to bypass so that I can use it connected to USB without battery degradation\constant drain
Bluetooth not a must,
AMP preferable Ig,
Display not really important,
Would prefer optionally something smaller and portable
4.4mm balanced plug preferable

I care mostly for it to drive my MK3's properly as some mentioned the treble drivers need some juice. Although I still think Apple dongle might work fine. Given that you have the mentioned IEM's maybe you'll be able to advice me well. Also I have bit conflicting views about this DAC\Amp things, some say they do nothing to the sound and that is all snake oil, some say certain DAC's are good for "gaming" to pin-point sounds better etc.. I am unsure if that is really true, I would prefer such unit which gives some benefits also for gaming.

Mar 23, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #602 of 726
Hey, my monarchs mk3 are coming on Monday. I currently use apple dac, should I look into something better, or would it be fine?
The Apple dongle is totally adequate. I really like my RU6 with the Mk3’s, but am not sure I’d be able to hear a difference between the Apple dongle and my THX Onyx in a blind test.

Mar 23, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #603 of 726
Battery (Y) but ability to bypass so that I can use it connected to USB without battery degradation\constant drain
Bluetooth not a must,
AMP preferable Ig,

I care mostly for it to drive my MK3's properly as some mentioned the treble drivers need some juice. Although I still think Apple dongle might work fine. Given that you have the mentioned IEM's maybe you'll be able to advice me well. Also I have bit conflicting views about this DAC\Amp things, some say they do nothing to the sound and that is all snake oil, some say certain DAC's are good for "gaming" to pin-point sounds better etc.. I am unsure if that is really true, I would prefer such unit which gives some benefits also for gaming.
So I´d give you some tips which have good reviews in their price-categories:
Fiio BTR7 (with battery + bluetooth), Aful Snowynight (cheapper), Ibasso DC04 pro (cheapper) Aune yuki (discreet amp + CS), Cayin RU7 (1bit dac, big power, this dongle I have now.. great but pricier), Ibasso Elite (pricier), new iFi Go Bar Kensei (many features, pricier)

Mar 23, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #604 of 726
Bluetooth not a must,
AMP preferable Ig,

To be honest I don’t really use dongles as I find them really annoying.

Not only do they drain your phones battery but it makes using your phone a hassle whilst listening to music imo.

ever since I switched to using daps I’ve never looked back.

I use my R6P2 for home use and M300 for outdoor use.

If you really want to stick with the phone, the Khadas Tea looks pretty good. It’s MagSafe so attaches to the back of the phone, and has its own battery

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #605 of 726
The FiiO BTR7 was one of my considerations, but it has a major flaw it always runs of the internal battery, and there is no way to disable battery charging\draining once operated as desktop dac. Since that will be majority of my usage, it kind of doesn't fit.
Cayin RU7 is what you’re looking for then.

Not as good as my Sony DAP but it’s cheaper and a lot smaller.

Also on sale at AliExpress right now.

Mar 23, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #606 of 726
Well I will use them primarily for the PC, so I am not too worried about battery and phone. That would be the side usage. I am looking at a lot of options rn.
Cayin RU7 is what you’re looking for then.

Not as good as my Sony DAP but it’s cheaper and a lot smaller.

Also on sale at AliExpress right now.

Yeah was doing some re-search on it, the only thing that bothers me there is a lot of reports of it having issues with clicking noise during song changes\hiss and pop due to the DSD conversion. It seems to be unavoidable also from what I read. I am still looking further.

Mar 23, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #607 of 726
Well I will use them primarily for the PC, so I am not too worried about battery and phone. That would be the side usage. I am looking at a lot of options rn.

Yeah was doing some re-search on it, the only thing that bothers me there is a lot of reports of it having issues with clicking noise during song changes\hiss and pop due to the DSD conversion. It seems to be unavoidable also from what I read. I am still looking further.
Questyle M15 is a highly regarded dongle.

Mar 23, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #608 of 726
Does anybody use mmk3 with questyle new m15i? If so please let me know how does it work. I am torn between the m15i and the Ru7 at the moment.

Mar 23, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #609 of 726
Does anybody use mmk3 with questyle new m15i? If so please let me know how does it work. I am torn between the m15i and the Ru7 at the moment.
Unfortunatelly m15i does not have volume control and this generates two problems.. Digital attenuation affects the dynamic range (the incoming signal is not bitperfect anymore) and independent volume control is also safety feature (you dont want become accidentaly full signal into your iems and your ears..)

Mar 23, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #611 of 726
To be honest I don’t really use dongles as I find them really annoying.

Not only do they drain your phones battery but it makes using your phone a hassle whilst listening to music imo.
Battery drain is real, but…then you need to carry two devices around with you. I just don’t know what’s worse…

Mar 23, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #612 of 726
Battery drain is real, but…then you need to carry two devices around with you. I just don’t know what’s worse…
I don’t mind carrying two devices. Well, I prefer it over the cons of having my phone tethered to a dongle. But I appreciate it’s down to personal preference and others opinions and preference may differ.

Mar 23, 2024 at 11:54 PM Post #613 of 726
Unfortunatelly m15i does not have volume control and this generates two problems.. Digital attenuation affects the dynamic range (the incoming signal is not bitperfect anymore) and independent volume control is also safety feature (you dont want become accidentaly full signal into your iems and your ears..)
Did you notice any clicking issues with your RU7?

Mar 24, 2024 at 12:05 AM Post #614 of 726
Just want to add that the M15 is quite loud. I tested it the other day with low gain, using Symphonium Crimson, a very difficult to drive IEM, and it needed only 8/100 digital volume from my R3II. I much prefer dongles with independent volume control to avoid any nasty surprise.

My personal recommendation after AB against M15, KA17, KA3, S9 Pro, and XO is AFUL Snowy Night. It's less edgy and the stage feels more layered and deep than both FiiOs. It sounds as refined as the M15, but it has independent volume control and can get very quiet so that I can pair with my Andromeda as well. And it's cheap.

Mar 24, 2024 at 3:01 AM Post #615 of 726
Did you notice any clicking issues with your RU7?
No cklicking in music, or other problems.. only between the tracks I can hear very, very quiet pop, but it is hard to hear... an it does not annoy me... maby they wanted to simulate vinyl experience😁 it has someting to do with pcm/dsd coversion..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back