Thieaudio Monarch MKIII impressions, reviews, and pictures thread
Apr 18, 2024 at 4:45 AM Post #676 of 690
Thanks guys for the recommendations. Due to price difference I went with ru7 for now and this small dongle really surprised me. There are 3 options as dsd 64 -- > dsd 128 --> dsd 256. Warmer to more detailed sound. Dsd 128 is sweet spot for my taste. I've tried mk3 with azla xelastec, spinfit cp 145 and spiral dot ++ tips. I found spiral dot tips are best for comfort, seal and sound. Sorry for the photo quality I just took it :)

IMG_5772.jpg

Nice! Spiral dots, the wide-bored Tang Sancai, and maybe the Velvet tips are the ones that I still want to try, as for now the Sedna Crystals work best for me.

Apr 18, 2024 at 4:49 AM Post #677 of 690
Thanks guys for the recommendations. Due to price difference I went with ru7 for now and this small dongle really surprised me. There are 3 options as dsd 64 -- > dsd 128 --> dsd 256. Warmer to more detailed sound. Dsd 128 is sweet spot for my taste. I've tried mk3 with azla xelastec, spinfit cp 145 and spiral dot ++ tips. I found spiral dot tips are best for comfort, seal and sound. Sorry for the photo quality I just took it :)

IMG_5772.jpg
Gorgeous shells. Welcome and enjoy!

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #678 of 690
After a month of listening to MK3's, I must say they are more then decent every day drivers. Also good for gaming and watching movies. However there are some unavoidable cons for me, the treble doesn't feel that good, feels a bit "plastic", even though its extended it feels either too harsh or to little of it (if trying to fix harshness with eq for example), after certain volume levels they feel a bit plastic as a whole, the mid and high trebles are too sharp, there is this unavoidable zing, there is also too much mud due to the heavy although well textured bass in some of the mix, sometimes some of the instruments are not in the fore front enough, the electrical guitars don't seem to have enough detail and clarity sometimes, specially where the mix features quite some bass elements and other noisy elements. I also felt sometimes, the snare pop was too little punchy specially on some of the tips. So tip rolling can improve this IEM. The best tips after rolling quite some for me was the Tri Clarions. I used them with Tangzu Sancai's, various Azla Sednalight\Sedna shorts, stock tips as well.

Overall I feel it's very well rounded kilo buck IEM and fits a lot of genres and other types of sound to use for. Since I got Anni's on the way, I'll compare them and do a write-up, I am really curious how they will match.

Apr 18, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #679 of 690
Edit:xf_eek:kay it worked somehow.

Bought some divinus ear tips. But how do you fit those? I can't seem to fit the tip

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #680 of 690
After a month of listening to MK3's, I must say they are more then decent every day drivers. Also good for gaming and watching movies. However there are some unavoidable cons for me, the treble doesn't feel that good, feels a bit "plastic", even though its extended it feels either too harsh or to little of it (if trying to fix harshness with eq for example), after certain volume levels they feel a bit plastic as a whole, the mid and high trebles are too sharp, there is this unavoidable zing, there is also too much mud due to the heavy although well textured bass in some of the mix, sometimes some of the instruments are not in the fore front enough, the electrical guitars don't seem to have enough detail and clarity sometimes, specially where the mix features quite some bass elements and other noisy elements. I also felt sometimes, the snare pop was too little punchy specially on some of the tips. So tip rolling can improve this IEM. The best tips after rolling quite some for me was the Tri Clarions. I used them with Tangzu Sancai's, various Azla Sednalight\Sedna shorts, stock tips as well.

Overall I feel it's very well rounded kilo buck IEM and fits a lot of genres and other types of sound to use for. Since I got Anni's on the way, I'll compare them and do a write-up, I am really curious how they will match.

It's a bit spicy, that's true :relaxed: Thanks for your thoughts!

(TRI Clarions are good on them, indeed, that's my second choice.)

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #681 of 690
TRI Clarions definitely best sounding, some Comply foam sounds like 50$ headphones. Only with TRI Clarion they sound great.
Also, yesterday I received Spiral Dots JVC and they reduced that treble a little (after listening for month with Tri Clarions I really felt it). So overal it may be better than Tri Clarions for me. Both are good tho.

Apr 21, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #682 of 690
Am I the only person who call the MMK3 bass kinda "wet"? Don't get me wrong I enjoy MMK3 overall but on some bassy and fast tracks it lacks the controlled, dry tactility by other counterparts.

Apr 21, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #685 of 690
Apr 21, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #687 of 690
Am I the only person who call the MMK3 bass kinda "wet"? Don't get me wrong I enjoy MMK3 overall but on some bassy and fast tracks it lacks the controlled, dry tactility by other counterparts.
Depends on the genre I guess, I MMK3 shines with live recorded instruments and not really with electronic music which generally has a lower production and instrument quality, not all but a lot of it (I would assume because synth music is a lot more accessible to create, compared to recording instruments live).

MMK3 is fantastic with blues, indie rock, folk, country, etc.

For example listen to Nothing Left or Bilgewater by Brown Bird, or One Mile Deep by November South. Another good one is the Doors cover People are strange by The Dead South.

Turn up the volume just a little bit.

Edit: if you want to tighten the bass a bit on the MMK3, add a -3dB peak filter at 100Hz with Q=0.7

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 6:51 AM Post #688 of 690
Depends on the genre I guess, I MMK3 shines with live recorded instruments and not really with electronic music which generally has a lower production and instrument quality, not all but a lot of it (I would assume because synth music is a lot more accessible to create, compared to recording instruments live).

MMK3 is fantastic with blues, indie rock, folk, country, etc.

For example listen to Nothing Left or Bilgewater by Brown Bird, or One Mile Deep by November South. Another good one is the Doors cover People are strange by The Dead South.

Turn up the volume just a little bit.

Edit: if you want to tighten the bass a bit on the MMK3, add a -3dB peak filter at 100Hz with Q=0.7
Good info:thumbsup:I have exactly this feelings, I like MMK3 for real instruments music, but for EDM not so much.. Which IEM do you suggest for EDM in the price range from 150,- to lets say 800,-USD?

Apr 22, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #689 of 690
Good info:thumbsup:I have exactly this feelings, I like MMK3 for real instruments music, but for EDM not so much.. Which IEM do you suggest for EDM in the price range from 150,- to lets say 800,-USD?
To my ears most EDM suffers from bass bloat so something like the Variations will sound great, due to that mid bass scoop. Of course, anything EQed to that profile will sound pretty nice, so try to EQ the MMK3 first to see if it would work for you.

Do you have access to a PEQ? If yes, do this:

1. Go to squig.link
  2. Select Monarch mk3
  3. Add Variations
  4. Ensure no other targets are enabled
  5. Click Equalizer
  6. (optional) Set the upper auto EQ range to something like 6000Hz
  7. Click AutoEQ
  8. Grab the values and put them in your favorite PEQ
  9. Enjoy!
It won't be perfect due to unit variation (!!) but at least it will give you an idea if that sound signature works or not with EDM. I don't like to EQ myself but I tried it on the MMK3 and I find it takes EQ without skipping a beat.

1713824135769.png

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 3:13 AM Post #690 of 690
To my ears most EDM suffers from bass bloat so something like the Variations will sound great, due to that mid bass scoop. Of course, anything EQed to that profile will sound pretty nice, so try to EQ the MMK3 first to see if it would work for you.

Do you have access to a PEQ? If yes, do this:

1. Go to squig.link
  2. Select Monarch mk3
  3. Add Variations
  4. Ensure no other targets are enabled
  5. Click Equalizer
  6. (optional) Set the upper auto EQ range to something like 6000Hz
  7. Click AutoEQ
  8. Grab the values and put them in your favorite PEQ
  9. Enjoy!
It won't be perfect due to unit variation (!!) but at least it will give you an idea if that sound signature works or not with EDM. I don't like to EQ myself but I tried it on the MMK3 and I find it takes EQ without skipping a beat.

1713824135769.png
Many thanks for usefull info, I had in the past the Variations, unfortunatelly they were not comfortable for my ears but yes, the sound was very good (very clean) for EDM for me.. Hopefully second gen of Variations with better shape will come.. But the EQ before a buying an IEM is great method not to loose money so often.. thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back