Not open for further replies.
Dec 1, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #826 of 12,550
Quote:
Freemasons...
biggrin.gif

Ah, OK.  A mystery society.....
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #830 of 12,550
Yeah, I haven't got any objections to anybody who wants to put other religious/holiday/etc imagery on the currawong, or else nothing at all. The bird is the focus, and the other stuff is only there to create the association between the month and the theme, since it's not in the name.

I certainly don't think the hat should be a requirement, but I also don't think people should be scared of using it. There should be a certain expectation that, on an Internet forum, there will be people who believe in/celebrate/say/do/etc. some things that we don't entirely agree with. We must also, however, consider the possibility that we ourselves believe in/celebrate/say/do/etc. some things that others don't entirely agree with. It all works because we tolerate one another and concentrate on the things we agree on. We might disagree about a lot of things, but I'm quite sure there are few to no people on here who hate headphones. It's a headphone forum. That's what we're all supposed to be here to talk about, and no matter our individual opinions, we all love our cans.

In fact, I'd love to see CiW avatars with lots of different imagery along with the bird because it embodies this very point--we all agree on what's important for the theme, and that's the currawong and the text. Everything else can be personalized to whatever extent. That said, the version with the hat is a great starting point, and is, I believe, fairly neutral.

Dec 1, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #831 of 12,550
Quote:
I actually prefer CIW sans the hat...good point on perspective.

Just trying to be conscientious.

Quote:
I don't really think Santa as portrayed in modern times has anything to do with religion frankly but....
Sure we can even make a Hanukkah or other theme'd currawong bird if someone makes a request. Or just the original currawong is watching version is fine too.

No, it probably doesn't... or at least not any religion outside of Consumerism,  But you know, to say that someone HAS to use it would be like... well it COULD be something uncomfortable for some people.

Quote:
Quote:
Wait, the Santa hat is a requirement?  Because you know, we should accommodate other (or no) religious beliefs and such. 
smile.gif

I wouldn't object to a hatless Currawong...as long as someone adds a tasteful "TMAC" in there somewhere.
smile.gif

Yeah, exactly.  As long as it carries the theme over, it'd be cool.  I mean, think back to how much we butchered Scotty on occasion, and still made it work.

Quote:
Quote:
I really just dig the humor of the hat honestly.
biggrin.gif
Now for sure there is NOTHING religious about a bird wearing a goofy red hat with a ball on the end...... right?
beyersmile.png

No, there isn't. I think Warren's point is that the religious people may be offended by the Santa hat....which may well be true. Of course, if they say anything to us, we can invoke Currawong and the rule against discussing religion, right? 
wink.gif

Sure, but then Currawong might say that the Santa hat avatar is religious in and of itself.  BTW, has anyone read the new posting guidelines?  There's a part in bold about NOT offending people with our avatars (I kid you not).  Was that always there?

Quote:
Yeah, I haven't got any objections to anybody who wants to put other religious/holiday/etc imagery on the currawong, or else nothing at all. The bird is the focus, and the other stuff is only there to create the association between the month and the theme, since it's not in the name.

I certainly don't think the hat should be a requirement, but I also don't think people should be scared of using it. There should be a certain expectation that, on an Internet forum, there will be people who believe in/celebrate/say/do/etc. some things that we don't entirely agree with. We must also, however, consider the possibility that we ourselves believe in/celebrate/say/do/etc. some things that others don't entirely agree with. It all works because we tolerate one another and concentrate on the things we agree on. We might disagree about a lot of things, but I'm quite sure there are few to no people on here who hate headphones. It's a headphone forum. That's what we're all supposed to be here to talk about, and no matter our individual opinions, we all love our cans.

In fact, I'd love to see CiW avatars with lots of different imagery along with the bird because it embodies this very point--we all agree on what's important for the theme, and that's the currawong and the text. Everything else can be personalized to whatever extent.

+1 to everything you just said!

And now... here's mine.

Dec 1, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #832 of 12,550
Unanimous decision (more like undecision) for December: Currawong is Watching You. Dedicated this month for tribute to Currawong, the ever dauntless and diligent, friendly mod. My campaign to use alliterative theme naming fails this time, but I will try harder next time to bring more alliterative allure all around.

Choose from these three variants of Currawong, and with enough skill and imagination, maybe you too could also make a hybrid Cerberus-Currawong eldritch abomination watching you with three soul-reding gazes of pure insanity!
5707ba9d_900x900px-LL-b4c39c28_900x900px-LL-af5c4b76_Currawongiswatching.jpeg

759f9015_image.jpeg

7507a1f0_4642f12b84ecabe838a7c29b832c5011.jpeg

I might be planning a hibernation from here, but that doesn't mean I can do a halfass job at updating for this month!

Dec 1, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #835 of 12,550
Quote:

Sure, but then Currawong might say that the Santa hat avatar is religious in and of itself.  BTW, has anyone read the new posting guidelines?  There's a part in bold about NOT offending people with our avatars (I kid you not).  Was that always there?

And now... here's mine.

I don't know if that was always there or not.....because I had never read them before. 
redface.gif

I like yours too, Warren....I may adopt it at some point this month, if you have no objection.

Dec 1, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #837 of 12,550
Dec 1, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #838 of 12,550
Just updated my sig so people who see my posts know what's up. Right away I think this one will stand out more than last month's, as much as I enjoyed Noobvember. It's hard to miss that bird with those yellow eyes.
Quote:
@Arg & Doc

Cheers for catching me up, I guess I'll go with this~

Lookin' good! 
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #839 of 12,550
Quote:
Just updated my sig so people who see my posts know what's up. Right away I think this one will stand out more than last month's, as much as I enjoyed Noobvember. It's hard to miss that bird with those yellow eyes.

I updated mine too....the sig link says TMAC, and since that is in the avatar, I think people are smart enough to make the connection.

Dec 1, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #840 of 12,550
Quote:
maybe you too could also make a hybrid Cerberus-Currawong eldritch abomination watching you with three soul-reding gazes of pure insanity!

eek.gif

biggrin.gif
  Thank you kind sir!

Quote:
I might be planning a hibernation from here, but that doesn't mean I can do a halfass job at updating for this month!

True dedication that is! 

Quote:
200x200px-ZC-43746233_currawongs-r-watching-u.png

I wonder how the three divided up which one gets which forums for monitoring...
size]

Wat u mean bro?  They are ALL up in our business ALL the time.  My custom title is proof of that.

Quote:
Quote:
BTW, has anyone read the new posting guidelines?  There's a part in bold about NOT offending people with our avatars (I kid you not).  Was that always there?

I don't know if that was always there or not.....because I had never read them before. 
redface.gif

LOL, I know right?  I think the first time most people see it is after their first warning.

Quote:

I like yours too, Warren....I may adopt it at some point this month, if you have no objection.

Not at all, please do.  Lemme know if you need any modifications made to it.

Quote:
I could have sworn we all agreed on "Currawong Christmas".......

LOL, I've been awol for a while.  I saw some early adopters make the switch, so I whipped up something in a hurry.  That's what popped out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back