Theft of Orpheus at IFA 2015
Sep 2, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #16 of 151
At the end of the day, the prejudice against high-end headphones does work against us. Not many people know of the value an Orpheus holds.

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #20 of 151
  Wow.  Yes serial numbers would be helpful as these will probably flow into the second hand market.  Though seriously, I don't know how the thief is planning on selling this without getting caught.  

You can't steal the Mona Lisa. 

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #21 of 151
As sennheiser shared these TOTL HPs with the masses, theres every chance that they will get them back.  People will know well what they look like, as they had worn them and heard them. So hopefully by having shared them they will get them back

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #22 of 151
these thefts are bad for the hobby. discourages loaner programs (the HE1000 incident) and discourages people/sponsors from bringing high-end gear to meets or shows.

what is the answer -- better security or just sit at home and horde. don't know.

Sep 2, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #25 of 151
This website has a great network of members around the world.  We just all need to keep our eyes and ears open to someone trying to sell this.  Fortunately, it is a fairly rare bit of equipment, so sale will not be as easy.

Sep 2, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #26 of 151
  This is website has a great network of members around the world.  We just all need to keep our eyes and ears open to someone trying to sell this.  Fortunately, it is a fairly rare bit of equipment, so sale will not be as easy.

This.
Selling an orpheus will be very hard for a thief as there are probably tops 5 of those in the world trading hands. Also the thief's greed will eventually be his downfall, as he will try to sell it for a price at least in the realm of the expected one, making it an attention draw for head-fiers.

Sep 2, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #27 of 151
I could imagine it would be extremely difficult to track this headphone in Germany though...

Sep 2, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #29 of 151
Yah sucks to see this type of thing happening more often.  Sorry to hear about the theft.  

In regards to preventing theft I would bring an extra body that is dedicated to watching the demo units.  

I know that may not be ideal but ultimately it will prevent theft.

Another shocking thing is that they don't have any type of security watching the trailers or even cameras that can help catch what was taken.

Sep 2, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #30 of 151
There's no way that they'd want to sell them. The only reason they'd probably do it is to have it for themselves. Such an expensive and rare item would have to be sold very carefully and to either someone unknowing of the fraud or to someone who would just want a cheap one. Doesn't hurt to post the S/N though and everyone keep a lookout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back