Theft of Orpheus at IFA 2015
Sep 2, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #31 of 151
I think (only speculation) that they were stealing some stock to sell in the dark and they just so happened to have targeted the trailer holding the orpheus. If anyone of the people responsible know about the Orpheus they would probably not sell it out through public methods.

Sep 2, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #32 of 151
That's like stealing the Mona Lisa.  Wouldn't be surprised if the thief is an audiophile and wants to keep it.

Sep 2, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #33 of 151
The sad reality of such high-value thefts is that they are almost never "random" nowadays. And while I hope and wish that the O is returned unharmed, it probably is already on it's way to Russia, over the polish border, to it's new owner who ordered it from an organized criminal organizations. Same thing happens with cars here every day. Not just new luxury cars, basically any condition and model. Often times it is not even obvious for the buyer that they are dealing with criminals. They present themselves as agencies which can find and buy virtually anything for you on the market. You make a down payment and pay the rest when you get whatever you orderer. So the buyer doesn't necessarily had to have bad intentions when he ordered an Orpheus.

The executioners probably grabbed whatever else they could easily sell themselves and got out.
Like I said, very sad...but very real in the eastern parts of Germany. Doesn't necessarily have be this way but it is a possibility. Let's hope it's not.

m00h

Sep 2, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #36 of 151
first a thousand audeze headphones were stollen (valued 250000 usd ) now the Orpheus
a new Hi end black marked is born
the audeze phones dissapeared as air the same will happen the the Orpheus bad news

Sep 2, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #37 of 151
Unfortunately, a thief who managed to pull off this serious of a heist obviously is much more intelligent than many posters are making them out to be. In the first place, they were obviously knowing what they going after for some time and had carefully laid plans as to how to do it. (They may have had insider information or this may have been an inside job that allowed them to do this. If they have not already, Sennheiser should seriously consider investigating these possibilities in addition to the community outreach effort currently in progress.) In the second place, if they are planning on selling it to make money, they have the subtlety and patience to wait a year or two before selling it with a falsified serial number--one obviously within the number range of the product in question. As hopeful and optimistic as I want to be about this, we are dealing with an expert burglar and we will need a miracle to get the product back into Sennheiser's possession.

Sep 2, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #40 of 151
  Wow.  Yes serial numbers would be helpful as these will probably flow into the second hand market.  Though seriously, I don't know how the thief is planning on selling this without getting caught.  

Anybody else think that perhaps the thief isn't planning to sell the Orpheus?  For all we know, he seriously just wants it for his own personal listening pleasure :-/

Sep 2, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #43 of 151
I hope they get the serials out ASAP. The longer it takes them, the less chance they have of recovering them. The would-be owner and culprit could already have them outside of the public eye as we speak, in some far-off summer cottage or in long-term storage. Urgency and expediency is an absolute must if you want help, Sennheiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back