The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
May 19, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #1,816 of 5,722

Quote:
Thanks for the info and the pointer!  *starts to read* There are almost 3k posts in that thread! wow.  *falls over dead*

It would be great if we had some sort of indexing system where a person could look up a chart of these opamps and see (on a score of  1 - 10) which what amount of highs, lows, soundstaging, grain, etc.

There seem to be hundreds of combonations and a person could spend lots of time and money doing this.

I know we can't really ask "What's the best?" as it all depends on one's system and hearing, but if we know our systems well enough we know that we'll want an opamp that's darker to tame a bright speaker or faster to improve a sludgy big woofer system.

There is no best, it is a matter of opinion and what is best regarding your system and circuit.  However, if you are looking for certain aspects like a bit of roll off in the high end or lighter in the bass end.  You might be able to get what you are after with certain opamps in your circuit.

May 19, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #1,817 of 5,722
Right that's just what i'm saying. I'd love a chart that would tell me that *such and such chip tends to roll off the high end".  Right now though between these two  threads, one has a week of reading to figure that out.

May 19, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #1,818 of 5,722

Quote:
Right that's just what i'm saying. I'd love a chart that would tell me that *such and such chip tends to roll off the high end".  Right now though between these two  threads, one has a week of reading to figure that out.

There is a problem with that also.  People hear things differently and have different tastes.  What I might find cold sounding you may find warm..etc.  It is all based on your experience with opamps and other audio devices.  This idea gets mentioned every now and again but it never takes off because it will not work.  Opamps are far to subjective for such things..

May 20, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #1,819 of 5,722
I still think a highly opinionated list based upon personal preference and one's particular gear in use would be way more helpful and efficient than trying to dig through these two threads.  I'm not talking about a list for op amps in general either, I specifically mean for the ASUS Xonar cards.

May 20, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #1,820 of 5,722
Just ordered some [size=x-small]LT1364, hope it will sound nice.[/size]

May 20, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #1,821 of 5,722

Quote:
I still think a highly opinionated list based upon personal preference and one's particular gear in use would be way more helpful and efficient than trying to dig through these two threads.  I'm not talking about a list for op amps in general either, I specifically mean for the ASUS Xonar cards.

I agree. If this thread is helpful at all and not completely subjective (and it IS helpful - i've got a lot of good advice about op-amps which worked for me), then a wiki-style contributory list will be. All that it awaits is a few people with the skill and energy to get it started. Anyone?

These new drivers are really going to have to make me reconsider my choice of op-amp. Depth and detail have been increased at the expense of increased high frequency grain and volume to the level of a too screechy treble. I'm thinking of the OPA627AU to replace the LME49720HA in the buffer. Would this work?

May 21, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #1,822 of 5,722

Quote:

I second that.

May 22, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #1,823 of 5,722
i would wait for the final drivers if i were you, just to be sure. these are only beta drivers after all.

Quote:
These new drivers are really going to have to make me reconsider my choice of op-amp. Depth and detail have been increased at the expense of increased high frequency grain and volume to the level of a too screechy treble. I'm thinking of the OPA627AU to replace the LME49720HA in the buffer. Would this work?

May 22, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #1,825 of 5,722
I've never done a WIKI before so bear with me.
I just started this to see if it works and is any help at all concerning keeping track of what people are doing with Op Amps in these cards.

This is only on a trial basis right now.  If it works and people find it helpful then great.
If it's stupid or ends up causing me undue headaches I'll kill it.

http://levlhed.com/xonar

Your input on ways to improve this are welcome because I really have no idea what I'm doing.

May 28, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #1,829 of 5,722
i do agree on the idea for a central repository with only the useful ideas (no extra noise/chatter) assoc w/this family of cards.
It could outline opamp and more sophisticated mods one can do to improve their performance....

Alas i have no time these days for this sort of thing, but if there was a central pace, & it was easy to sign up.
Then I suppose I wouldnt have a problem adding new content occasionally, as I learn new things.

Jun 5, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #1,830 of 5,722
May i know what does the buffer or i/v opamp do? Meaning what does the buffer and i/v do to the sound. If i use RCA out does it mean only the buffer opamp affects it? How about the i/v? Does it really affect headphones out only and not the RCA.

And lastly does the ST has any converter adapter for 3.5mm to 6.3mm and 3.5 to  RCA? Seems like the mic is 6.3mm too. Both my speakers and mic are using 3.5mm. I believe the STX provide the RCA cables but not the ST. Thanks alot :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back