The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
Mar 8, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #197 of 1,799
Hi, I'm new to head-fi, although I've been following all this AT hype for a while. I recently got the AD900X and have been LOVING them but I've been considering getting a closed pair of full-sized headphones to replace my M50s. How do the WS99 compare with the A900X? Originally I was planning to get the A900X to complement the airiness of my AD900X but after reading the reviews of the WS99, they seem like they would be great too. I listen to a wide range of genres.

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #198 of 1,799
Quote:
Hi, I'm new to head-fi, although I've been following all this AT hype for a while. I recently got the AD900X and have been LOVING them but I've been considering getting a closed pair of full-sized headphones to replace my M50s. How do the WS99 compare with the A900X? Originally I was planning to get the A900X to complement the airiness of my AD900X but after reading the reviews of the WS99, they seem like they would be great too. I listen to a wide range of genres.

Well even if I haven't heard WS99 yet (I'd like to order from europe rather than Japan/China) would most likely complement your AD900X very well. Dsnuts can probably answer better on this subject as he has AD900X and ATH-WS99 but WS99 seems to be like a detailed basshead can, he already said it was a pretty much upgrade in like almost every aspect compared to M50 I believe. 

Mar 8, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #200 of 1,799
Quote:
Oh yea. No comparison from the older M50 to the Ws99.. Perfect cans to compliment the AD900X.. DannyBai got his WS99 so we should see some comparisons soon..

Could you possibly give me some comparisons between the WS99 and A900X though? I'm sure both are much better than the M50 but I'm curious as to how they stack up in relation to each other.

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #201 of 1,799
Well for one the WS99 is more versatile in that they can be worn out doors. the A900X is the exact same size as the AD900X..A900X the pads are stiffer pleathers which some of the guys on the A900X had an issue with. They get more comfier over time but comfort wise I would say the WS99 beats them as well.

Sound wise there are some similarities in the sound of the A900X and your AD900X but the AD900X has a newer revised driver that has the better balanced sound with better resolution in details and that awesome stage.. The WS99 isolates better and has the more fuller sound over the A900X. Smoother more forward mid range on the WS99. The bass end both are excellent but the WS99 has the edge here.

I would go for the WS99 it isolates better, weighs less, more comfier, has a very nice full sound and can be used as a portable headphone. Not so much the A900X. The highs are about a wash on both cans though I think the overall sound because of the dual air chambers on the WS99 are deeper be it the highs mids and bass... The A900X are wider in stage but not by a significant amount. You want stage you already got the one for that. Depth in sound goes to the WS99.

The A900X is a good deal for the price you can get those for but for roughly the same price I would go for the WS99.. Both have a great balance but the little things on the WS99 makes them a real nice compliment to AD900X.

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #202 of 1,799
Quote:
Well for one the WS99 is more versatile in that they can be worn out doors. the A900X is the exact same size as the AD900X..A900X the pads are stiffer pleathers which some of the guys on the A900X had an issue with. They get more comfier over time but comfort wise I would say the WS99 beats them as well.

Sound wise there are some similarities in the sound of the A900X and your AD900X but the AD900X has a newer revised driver that has the better balanced sound with better resolution in details and that awesome stage.. The WS99 isolates better and has the more fuller sound over the A900X. Smoother more forward mid range on the WS99. The bass end both are excellent but the WS99 has the edge here.

I would go for the WS99 it isolates better, weighs less, more comfier, has a very nice full sound and can be used as a portable headphone. Not so much the A900X. The highs are about a wash on both cans though I think the overall sound because of the dual air chambers on the WS99 are deeper be it the highs mids and bass... The A900X are wider in stage but not by a significant amount. You want stage you already got the one for that. Depth in sound goes to the WS99.

The A900X is a good deal for the price you can get those for but for roughly the same price I would go for the WS99.. Both have a great balance but the little things on the WS99 makes them a real nice compliment to AD900X.

Guess I'm going for the WS99 then, thanks for the comparison!

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #203 of 1,799
You gotta stop talking about the WS99 Dsnuts or I'll simply have to order from Accessoryjack and call it a day. :) The more comments I hear about it the more it seems to fit my aural orentation (gotta love that expression xD). So it appears these pack, reasonably forward mids for a bassheavy can, finally. Seems hard to get something with non-recessed or veiled mids with bassy can without sounding overly dark. Pro 700MK2 actually has pretty forward mids for a bassy can (at least the lower-midrange which gives it a fullbodied thickness) but due to the very veiled highs it sounds excessively smooth.

I get the picture that WS99 is like an upgraded PRO700MK2 soundwise with a boost in the highs and upgraded housing (dual-chamber design) that gives it additional edge over it and comfort is slightly improved too.

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #204 of 1,799
Hey Dsnuts, I received my WS99s a few nights ago and noticed its sound seems a bit darker/smoother than my M-100...is that just me? Thus far I've only listened to them for a handful of hours. I've also noticed the mids are much better while the sub bass has less quantity and is more balanced to the overall sound. Just out of curiousity I was wondering if I should consider the CKS1000 since their signatures are similar and(per your enthusiastic recommendation) recently ordered a pair of CKN70s as well. Do you have a preference for one or the other? If you think the WS99s are sufficient I might just eventually spring for some XBA-30s instead as I've been eyeing them for a while now 
ph34r.gif

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #205 of 1,799
Ya it has a unique signature for a bass can. These do have mid bass and that low hitting sub bass but for once has the full frontal mids and highs to match so it balances out extremely well.. As much as I love the bass these cans can throw out. It is them deep full mids that makes all your tunes shine on these.

I ain't gonna lie here. I love these cans. The new AT sound is in full effect. Guys that are into your vocals will love these. Not to mention getting your club like bass on. I was using just my Z1060 with these cans all day and it drives extremely well but then once you throw on some power it will scale to the power you throw at it so a very versatile can. Also I didn't mention before. These cans are dead sexy on the head. understated but looks extremely nice in person. Not gaudy or too colorful but them all aluminum metal finish make them stand out from your normal headphones people wear in the crowd. Lower profile so they don't stick out abnormally.

We should get an impression from DannyBai soon. So look out for that.

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #206 of 1,799
Quote:
Hey Dsnuts, I received my WS99s a few nights ago and noticed its sound seems a bit darker/smoother than my M-100...is that just me? Thus far I've only listened to them for a handful of hours. I've also noticed the mids are much better while the sub bass has less quantity and is more balanced to the overall sound. Just out of curiousity I was wondering if I should consider the CKS1000 since their signatures are similar and(per your enthusiastic recommendation) recently ordered a pair of CKN70s as well. Do you have a preference for one or the other? If you think the WS99s are sufficient I might just eventually spring for some XBA-30s instead as I've been eyeing them for a while now 
ph34r.gif

These cans do have a smoother warmer tone to them. I personally like that. I don't think it is overly dark but a warmer tone is easier on the ears over the duration of time listening to them.. A mark of a higher end sound from AT. A warm smooth tonality. The CKS1000 are similar but has less mid bass so the mids are even more pronounced on them. But you would be getting a side grade more so if you already own the WS99.. The XBA-30 seems to be a nice upgrade on the older XBA series so those might be a good way to go. Though I have to admit I love my CKS1000. If you see one for sale on the sale forums.. An earphone version that has this sound signature is nice to own.  I am interested in getting a XBA-30 myself. Though I will have to wait on them as I just bought a new Audinst MX2. Lol. It just don't end.

My preference. Hmm I listen to my CKS1000 in my car when I drive. I listen to my WS99 at my house and when I am out doors. So both get use.. The WS99 takes to amping better as they have the big boss 53mm drivers..The ease of use on the CKS1000 is what makes those excellent. I like em both equally to tell you the truth..

CKN70s are awesome. You gotta burn them in big time and use Sony Hybrids though but once you got some significant drum n bass happening on them. Those can hold their own easily against much higher end earphones. 

Mar 10, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #207 of 1,799
I've had the WS99's burning for the past few days.  They have somewhere near 70 hours now.  The signature has been hard to get used to.  I also received the CKN70's at the same time so they have been both burning in and I've been switching back and forth with hasn't helped any.  Today I've been strictly using the WS99's with various amps and daps.  I have been listening to them out of the O2/ODAC combo and could not figure out what was missing.  The bass just didn't sound right.  Then I tried out of my iphone 5 and I like that combo better.  The bass seemed fuller and more quantity but slower.  Possibly the neutrality of the O2/ODAC combo didn't suit these headphones to my taste.  Next, I tried it with the DragonFly and I was getting similar results as the O2/ODAC combo.  Next up is the RSA Intruder and that combo matched perfectly.  The bass was tight and fast.  Deep and wide stage.  RSA amps work well with bassy headphones and this combo seems justified.  Still, these headphones shouldn't be so picky with sources is my thought.  I again switched to another amp in the Leckerton 6S MKII with op amp 209.  Another good match with the WS99.  This amp brings out the treble more than the Intruder and bass gets fuller but doesn't sound as tight as the Intruder.  The stage seems wider but not as deep as the Intruder.  Not sure if I needed to write all this but it was my experience so far with this headphone.  I also used the DX100 and Studio V 3rd Anniv. and the WS sounded pretty good with both.  The DX100 came in sounding just as good as the Intruder if not better.  

To wrap it up, I think Ds is right that these will work better with an amp.  Although I like the headphones with the iphone 5, amping them brings out the speed of the bass which is crucial of this headphone.  This is a bassy headphone with forward midrange which is very unique and unlike most other headphones in this category.  For example, I've never heard Massive Attack sound any better.  The bass presents itself in the mid-bass area but not overly so that it gets annoying.  The sub-bass comes out when it's in the music and has literally vibrated my ears.  I also tested it against M100 and the midrange is absolutely more forward in the WS and M100's bass sounds muddy with some tunes.  The treble is more sparkly with the WS without sibilance.  The WS is a faster headphone with more energy but might not suit as many genres as well as the M100's.  

Mar 10, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #208 of 1,799
Just curious: what's it like switching between the 99's and the ad900x's?

Mar 10, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #209 of 1,799
Thanks for the impressions DannyBai, my WS99's are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow morning, and I ordered them Thursday evening on Accessory Jack. At times I wish my M100's mids were more forward and the highs extended further, so I can't wait to hear them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back