The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
Mar 1, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #181 of 1,799
They are 53mm drivers in these cans so fully over ears. Unless you have donkey ears then they would be semi on ears.  Normal to semi large should be fully over ears.  They initially have a clamp but loosen up nicely with use. No need to stretch these out.

Mar 1, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #182 of 1,799
These or M100 with the newer XL pads once they get released... decisions... decisions... I would give these a try probably right now if they were purchasable on amazon.co.uk. Hopefully they will still become available worldwide.

Mar 1, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #184 of 1,799
Quote:
I think so. They will be released in the US on Amazon.com for $250 so I am certain these will get a world wide release.

Let's hope so, $250 sounds quite a lot compared to Japan though but yea I guess AT is cheaper in Japan.

Mar 1, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #185 of 1,799
Well if they get a release world wide. You should be able to try them out and see if they are to your liking. By the way Danny will get his WS99 next week. He will be able to tell everyone how he hears them compared to his M100 and Tiestos and such soon.

Though I know what he is gonna say already.
ph34r.gif
  Been listening to them all day with my Armin Van Burren tracks. Love these cans. These things look so nice in person too.  You know I kinda like owning cans people kinda overlook. Makes them more unique for me. Lol.

Mar 1, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #186 of 1,799
Quote:
Well if they get a release world wide. You should be able to try them out and see if they are to your liking. By the way Danny will get his WS99 next week. He will be able to tell everyone how he hears them compared to his M100 and Tiestos and such soon.

Though I know what he is gonna say already.
ph34r.gif
  Been listening to them all day with my Armin Van Burren tracks. Love these cans. These things look so nice in person too.  You know I kinda like owning cans people kinda overlook. Makes them more unique for me. Lol.

Great. Comparison vs M100 will be veeeeery interesting, it's the biggest competitor anyway. V-MODA did set the bar pretty high in the portable headphone market.

Mar 1, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #187 of 1,799
The ES10 is better than the M100 in almost everything to me... (midrange clarity, bass quality, bass impact, soundstage, presence)

So if the WS99 is similar to the ES10, I'd believe that it's better than M100 in every way.

Not to take away from V-Moda, but... they're up against 53mm drivers here.

Mar 1, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #188 of 1,799
Oh I think these will hang in there nicely and do a few things those cans don't do at a less cost too. 

To be honest. It ain't like I can't afford to get on the vmoda train myself but I am so completely happy with these and the other AT cans and earphones I have no need or want.. Call me a happy customer. 

But Danny should be able to enlighten us with a comparison very soon.

Mar 1, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #189 of 1,799
Quote:
The ES10 is better than the M100 in almost everything to me... (midrange clarity, bass quality, bass impact, soundstage, presence)

So if the WS99 is similar to the ES10, I'd believe that it's better than M100 in every way.

ES10's MSRP is higher than M100 though. If I remember correctly something $500+ (and no I don't care about your unfair american deals or whatever you're going to point out as it probably costs like 500 EUR to pick ES10 in europe for example :p M100 = 300 EUR)

Also driver size doesn't matter, as long as it's 40mm or bigger I don't see the driver size as an advantage. There are very proven high quality 40mm drivers out there too. In fact it's just silly thinking 53mm drivers have an advantage when talking headphone world. 40 - 53 mm all the same to me and doesn't make me automaticly think the 53 mm will be better. Only manufacturers may use marketing about driver size to their advantage, in real world tests, it doesn't quite always work like that.

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #190 of 1,799
No, the ES10 is expensive. No two way around it. If I didn't like mine so much, I would have sold it back for some money a long while ago.

And it's actually true that Audio Technica's 53mm drivers are better than their 40mm drivers by far. It may not apply to other brands, but at least it's pretty consistent for this one.

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #191 of 1,799

That may be true, but it is not just about certain sonic attributes.
It is also about their sound signature, which is very musical and popular.
It may be technically on a lesser level than the es10 but it is still a great can.
In fact many cans are very competent in certain areas, but not all are musical to just enjoy the music.
Plus the m100 are almost unbelievably low profile, sleek and sexy. Extremely portable..
Yet think it's safe to say these audio technica cans mentioned are very musical. :)

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #192 of 1,799
Quote:
Hey I don't remember reading it, so I asking,
How are stock pads? Ok comfort?

They have shallow pads which made my ears hurt like crazy after 15-30 minutes.  And I don't really think that I have above average sized ears.  I currently own the M100 which tons of people complain about the shallow pads, but they seem to be just right for me.

Mar 2, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #194 of 1,799
It is like a grown up version of the WS55. Every part of the spectrum is an upgrade including the bass. Bass extends lower and is some of the best quality bass for any AT can I have ever heard. WS55 amped has similar bass quantity I think the only real similarities is the sound balancing but even in this department the WS99 has the better more fuller deeper and much more dynamic sound...These cans are a serious upgrade on the WS55 not by a little either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back