The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Sep 15, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #2,176 of 7,980
Quote:
Thanks Kunlun, was a very good read. After reading it and project86's review, I'm really thinking about grabbing the 6.A over the 4.A now!

At the intro price, it's a good deal.

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #2,180 of 7,980
I emailed them a question after ordering and they responded very quickly and were really polite.

I think I made a good decision going with them, customer service is really important to me; and it seems Heir Audio takes it importantly too.

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #2,183 of 7,980
Interesting. I don't have any issues with my Westone 4R cable at all. That said I also added a relief clip but even before didnt bother me. I ordered the Magnus with my 4.A's anyway but this is good to know.

The standard cable (standard for Heir Audio, Westone, etc.) is very microphonic; it is, by far, the worst part of my 4.A.

I tried the Magnus 1, and it is much better. Luckily, I'll get one soon!

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #2,184 of 7,980
I would have written the exact response. 100% agreed.

I think price is a big reason.  At $450, the 4.A is reasonably priced for those of us that either don't have massive amounts of expendable income or simply think that $500 is simply a lot of money to spend on headphones.  The 6.A is supposed to have a similar sound signature with just more bass but is also twice as expensive.  It's fairly difficult to justify the extra $449 for more bass (believe me I tried hard because I wanted the 6.A's).  The gap between the 6.A and the 8.A is half as much so it's a little easier to swallow moving up a level and seems like more people like the more warm sound of the 8.A.  I agree with you though, the 6.A seems like the best option for what I like, I just couldn't pull the trigger on $1k for headphones that I would only be using for a handful of hours a week.

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #2,185 of 7,980
I'm in the same boat. Went from looking at a simple upgrade to my aging Etymotic 6’s to a set of Westone 4R's to an Heir 4.A. My molds have been received and sent to China so now the waiting game starts. I'm just nervous about fit issues so fingers crossed.

Damn am I excited; sent my impressions off today (4.A).

Can't wait to get them, my first high end audio purchase.

Sep 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #2,187 of 7,980
Hi

So I'm seriously thinking of getting either a 3ai or 4ai, but not sure which is more suitable.  I listen to a load of progressive rock/metal (magnum, marillion, pendragon, camel, dream theater etc) and audiobooks.  Source is either a 3rd gen ipod touch or ipod classic (7th gen).  I tend to use the iems at work where I need a fair bit of isolation.  Have got a westone 3 which I quite like but find a little fatiguing due to the midbass hump.  Would the 3ai be an improvement over the w3 or would I be better of looking at the 4ai? 

Done a little reading but ended up confusing myself so a little direction wouldn't go a miss!

Oh and I know this doesn't mean much, but has anyone in europe/uk ordered and been ok with import fees?  That's the only bit that's concerning me atm.

Cheers

Sep 15, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #2,188 of 7,980
Quote:
Hi

So I'm seriously thinking of getting either a 3ai or 4ai, but not sure which is more suitable.  I listen to a load of progressive rock/metal (magnum, marillion, pendragon, camel, dream theater etc) and audiobooks.  Source is either a 3rd gen ipod touch or ipod classic (7th gen).  I tend to use the iems at work where I need a fair bit of isolation.  Have got a westone 3 which I quite like but find a little fatiguing due to the midbass hump.  Would the 3ai be an improvement over the w3 or would I be better of looking at the 4ai? 

Done a little reading but ended up confusing myself so a little direction wouldn't go a miss!

Oh and I know this doesn't mean much, but has anyone in europe/uk ordered and been ok with import fees?  That's the only bit that's concerning me atm.

Cheers

The 3.Ai have a mid-bass hump as well.  They have a sound that is closer to a V-shape while the 4.Ai is supposed to be more balanced.

Sep 15, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #2,189 of 7,980
    I just got my 3.Ai and currently owns the Westone 3.  I use my iphone 4S  and imod .
    Love my 3.Ai with rock , metal and electronic dance music.  It is a big improvement over Westone 3 IMO.
    I enjoy 3.Ai with Dream Theater : A dramatic turn of events  and other metals including Epica, Therion, Avenged Sevenfolds.
    Deadmau5: For Lack of Better Names  also sounds very nice out of the 3.Ai
    I also need to eartip rolling to get the best result because if I don't get the better isolation and fit   the sound will too bright and
the bass impact is much less.

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #2,190 of 7,980
Quote:

Nice - I think you really nailed it! Your 6.A looks amazing too. What kind of wood is that?

Thanks, much appreciated. The cocobolo is quite nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back