The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Apr 19, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #676 of 7,980

Quote:
The only thing I'd say is try to find a line out dock for your Zune, to pair optimally with your new amp when it arrives. I think the ZuneHD has line out capabilities right?

Only place I've found a zune LOD is on Ebay. However, they are all apparently only compatible with first generation zune or 8gb and 30gb players.

Honestly, I'm just getting the amp as a temporary solution to provide my 8.A with more juice than the zune is capable of providing. Will it be worth it to use the amp and not use the line out? I plan on upgrading to an iBasso DX100 (or if an equivalent rival DAP of that quality appears), as I do not want to carry a ton of equipment around for my portable rig. 

That means you would have to go out from the Zune headphone jack, into the portable amp, then out to your 8.A, which is double amping. I wouldn't think that would be optimal. It may sound ok but in theory you might just stick with the Zune alone.

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #677 of 7,980

Quote:

Only place I've found a zune LOD is on Ebay. However, they are all apparently only compatible with first generation zune or 8gb and 30gb players.

Honestly, I'm just getting the amp as a temporary solution to provide my 8.A with more juice than the zune is capable of providing. Will it be worth it to use the amp and not use the line out? I plan on upgrading to an iBasso DX100 (or if an equivalent rival DAP of that quality appears), as I do not want to carry a ton of equipment around for my portable rig. 

An amp through a line-out dock is better, as project said.

You can get a refurbished ipod 5.5 gen slim from ipodzens or another place and it makes a nice match via LOD with a slim amp such as the HE Arrow, TTVJ Slim (which I have--it's really quite nice) or the Leckerton uha-4. Any of these amps will provide more than enough power. The TTVJ Slim can handle headphones, too.

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #679 of 7,980

Quote:

You can get a refurbished ipod 5.5 gen slim from ipodzens or another place and it makes a nice match via LOD with a slim amp such as the HE Arrow, TTVJ Slim (which I have--it's really quite nice) or the Leckerton uha-4. Any of these amps will provide more than enough power. The TTVJ Slim can handle headphones, too.

Hey Kunlun would you say the Heir 8As are more difficult to drive or are they very sensitive like the ES5? In a way I am hoping so so it will pair well with both my Studio V and DX100.

Apr 20, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #681 of 7,980

Quote:

I see, thank you. Then perhaps I will upgrade to a more capable player. Would you suggest any other MP3 players that have a line out other than apple? I'm not against apple products in anyway, I just despise their itunes software. Does the Cowon J3 have a Line Out? If not, I may just wait the six months with sub optimal amp usage then sell it and purchase a DX100.

Quote:

Nice! Can I post this picture on Heir Audio's Facebook page?

No problem. :)

Apr 20, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #682 of 7,980
If you use an iPod 5th gen or 5.5 gen, you can replace the stock firmware with Rockbox. It's simple to do, and is a much better ui in my opinion. Also it frees you from the iTunes requirement - just drag and drop, or sync with programs like windows media player.

I'd pick up a cheap older iPod, Rockbox it, get an LOD and a cheapish but nice portable amp, and you will be all set. It may be good enough to where you don't even need to upgrade later on. But if you do, I bet you would make almost all the money back by selling the amp and iPod. So it's win win.

Apr 20, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #685 of 7,980
My iPod 5.5G (80gb) is in my junk drawer... 
tongue.gif
  I still would like to get one of those all Aluminum cases for it... but I don't see myself using it much anymore after I picked up my Walkman Z.

Apr 20, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #689 of 7,980

Quote:

Thanks Kunlun for the insight, appreciate that. Anyway, I have email the Wizard and will wait for his clarification on this matter.
As for the sound, the 1st 10mins was like crap ( muddy bass, timid treble and grainy mids ) and nothing like I have read saying it has powerful bass, lush mids and great high extension. 
And after this initial 10 mins, things started to come together and it was quite a drastic transformation from What (pardon me) to WOW. Being my 1st CIEM, there's nothing i can compare with except my universal and I can boldly says that it easily outperforms anything I own and auditioned before. SQ may not be for everyone but this is the sound I'm looking for. They have been in my ears for more than 2 hours now and still seems to opens up more and more. 

Hi Matter, thanks for chipping in. Appreciate that.

Ok guys, got clarification from Wizard. So it was my narrow and small ear canal can't contain all 3 bores as some have mentioned. Wizard also wrote:- 

"In my design, the importance of the sound bore is the number of acoustic dampers that are used. Each “bore” allows for one acoustic damper, the damper acts as a passive filter. In other words the damper is used to “tune” the sound.
Now in your product, although there are two bores, three dampers are still used, thus the effect is still the same as using three bores."

It turns out to be a non issue after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back