The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Feb 27, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #5,658 of 7,980
Would the cheapest Schiit Stack (Modi/Magni) be appropriate for driving the Tzar 350's as well as something like the 5.0 or 8.a?

I'm a *total* noob when it comes to Amps and DAC's, even though I know my way around IEM's pretty well... so advice would be hugely appreciated.

Just seen a post on facebook about a big announcement tomorrow, and now I'm wondering if I should wait a day before playing my 5.0 order :p

I saw this, too! :xf_eek: 

So excited to see what's coming! :D 

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #5,662 of 7,980
Quote:
Would the cheapest Schiit Stack (Modi/Magni) be appropriate for driving the Tzar 350's as well as something like the 5.0 or 8.a?

I'm a *total* noob when it comes to Amps and DAC's, even though I know my way around IEM's pretty well... so advice would be hugely appreciated.

Yes, the M&M should work quite well with the Tzars, and should be good with 5.0 or 8.A as well, although you'll probably need to digitally attenuate for those to get a decent volume range.

Feb 27, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #5,663 of 7,980

Yes, the M&M should work quite well with the Tzars, and should be good with 5.0 or 8.A as well, although you'll probably need to digitally attenuate for those to get a decent volume range.

Do the Tzars really require that much power? I've heard of people using them to power the HE-500 and some other really power-hungry full-sized headphones. Given how none of Schiit's other AMPs are recommended for IEMs (at their own insistance) I'd be curious to know if this round is the first exception.

Especially if they can power they HE-500 as well as that'd make me "downgrade".

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #5,664 of 7,980
Quote:
Do the Tzars really require that much power? I've heard of people using them to power the HE-500 and some other really power-hungry full-sized headphones. Given how none of Schiit's other AMPs are recommended for IEMs (at their own insistance) I'd be curious to know if this round is the first exception.

On their website, Schiit says that they will power most anything. :)

I find the versatility and price point to be very attractive, so I really hope it's true.

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #5,665 of 7,980
Would only be comfortable with an amp with selectable gain, or even a dedicated [portable] amp for IEM listening. have not bothered double checking the specs of the mentioned Schiit gear, know they get a good rep on here though they are under the radar in UK due to cost of importing

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #5,666 of 7,980
Quote:

It's not so much that as the M&M are the only Schiit stack (well, maybe the Mjolnir as well if you were seriously careful about volume levels) that has low enough output impedance and noise floor to even really be considered for BA IEMs.

Also, please note that I actually sold my M&M before my 4.As came in, so I haven't tried the combo personally, but others did at the meet and I didn't hear anyone say anything about hiss. I was digitally attenuating the volume in Windows to 10% to get a reasonable range though.

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #5,668 of 7,980
Does anyone consider their 8As to be rather sensitive? I mean I can even detect hiss on my iphone4 :p. I think the only IEM that I've heard being more sensitive is the 334s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back