The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Dec 3, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #3,738 of 7,980
How many of you had to do a refit for your CIEMs? Also, I wanted to ask how do I know if my impressions are done "perfectly"? I want to avoid refit problems and the audiologist I'm going to see actually listens to his patients and will redo the impressions on the same day if needed. I have browsed through this thread and noticed some people say how they know whether the impressions are done correctly or not but I"m not sure how to tell because I've never done this before.

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #3,739 of 7,980
My 4.A's were too deep (couple other fit issues as well). They're off for refit now but I do miss them. They went right to the back of my canals and hit the cartilage at the end. Bit of an eye popper first time I thrust 'em in there.

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #3,741 of 7,980
Quote:
My 4.A's were too deep (couple other fit issues as well). They're off for refit now but I do miss them. They went right to the back of my canals and hit the cartilage at the end. Bit of an eye popper first time I thrust 'em in there.

Same for me... but just slightly... enough to muffle the sound, but not hurt.

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #3,743 of 7,980
Houbi: They look nice.  I know you will be pleased with the sound.

Sorensiim: I am looking into the Centrance HiFi M8.  I am excited by the possibility of a single box solution.

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #3,744 of 7,980
I guess not perfect as the seal was always tenuous, not quite tight enough. As for depth the went past the second bend as instructed. I recall reading a discussion re there being a comfort vs musician fit option before that has since been removed given fit issues with the latter. Why they're still so long is odd in that respect. That said I'd like them to be deep as possible to maximize isolation, but not so much that they hit the back. I had new molds done just in case (no charge service by audiologist) and sent back.

I wonder what the rate of fit issues is with CIEM's, and what they would be if more of the human element were removed from the core design (ie. 3D computer imaging of the ear, combined with computer CNC routing of the shells directly from said image file). The magic would come in the driver configuration, crossover, port tuning, and customization of outer shell materials. But the fit under such logistics should be optimal every time, no? Nice savings with shipping molds as well, and storing custom fit data to reproduce other models. If I recall from one of those 3D imaging videos an average can be taken at various mouth positions as well. Wicked stuff.

Gahh. So scary.Were the impressions done incorrectly?

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #3,745 of 7,980
Quote:
I guess not perfect as the seal was always tenuous, not quite tight enough. As for depth the went past the second bend as instructed. I recall reading a discussion re there being a comfort vs musician fit option before that has since been removed given fit issues with the latter. Why they're still so long is odd in that respect. That said I'd like them to be deep as possible to maximize isolation, but not so much that they hit the back. I had new molds done just in case (no charge service by audiologist) and sent back.
I wonder what the rate of fit issues is with CIEM's, and what they would be if more of the human element were removed from the core design (ie. 3D computer imaging of the ear, combined with computer CNC routing of the shells directly from said image file). The magic would come in the driver configuration, crossover, port tuning, and customization of outer shell materials. But the fit under such logistics should be optimal every time, no? Nice savings with shipping molds as well, and storing custom fit data to reproduce other models. If I recall from one of those 3D imaging videos an average can be taken at various mouth positions as well. Wicked stuff.

What ended up being your total cost for a refit may I ask?

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #3,748 of 7,980
Quote:
Who pays for the shipping of the IEM's/new moulds to Heir?

I paid for shipping, which is cheaper coming from the US.  You may be able to work out shipping to the San Diego office first and let Heir take care of the last leg of the delivery.  You'll want to drop Sunny a line to find out what works best for you.

Dec 3, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #3,749 of 7,980
Quote:

My refit / fix was free of charge on both my 4.A and 8.A.  I only had to pay shipping back to the US ($55 - with no customs fee of course).

"Only $55" for a "free" refit? That can add up if it has to be done more than once, not to mention the time involved. Sure Heir pays for some shipping and time to redo the shells, but it was their fault to begin with. I am not saying it's possible to get a perfect fit every time, but that's the nature of customs and should be the cost of doing business for Heir. I don't think it should cost the customer anything to do a refit. It's also not the customer's fault that the CIEM's need to be shipped back and forth to China as opposed to somewhere closer.

Dec 3, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #3,750 of 7,980
Quote:
"Only $55" for a "free" refit? That can add up if it has to be done more than once, not to mention the time involved. Sure Heir pays for some shipping and time to redo the shells, but it was their fault to begin with. I am not saying it's possible to get a perfect fit every time, but that's the nature of customs and should be the cost of doing business for Heir. I don't think it should cost the customer anything to do a refit. It's also not the customer's fault that the CIEM's need to be shipped back and forth to China as opposed to somewhere closer.

I had it done once, sending both CIEMs back at the same time.  To be fair, most manufacturers do charge you shipping for repairs, unless you pay upfront for annual service agreements (i.e. Lenovo where both tech support and service are located in Atlanta, GA, resulting in excellent service that is easy, fast and free).  We're talking Big Blue type of corporations, though.

In defense of much smaller CIEM manufacturers, it's more than reasonable to expect that shipping costs are bore by the customers.  Yes, we'd all prefer a US-based service center, but that isn't likely unless business gets so good (and Heir gets as big as Logitech/UE) that it becomes feasible.  Let's hope so 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back