The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Dec 2, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #3,722 of 7,980
I know they're easy to drive, but does anyone have any recommendations for amps which pair well with the Heir 4.A? Particularly looking for something which can play at low volumes without channel imbalance as I'm very sensitive to loud volumes.

Although I have had the amp only a few days now, the Leckerton UHA-6S mkII is pretty magical with the 4.Ai. as far as any channel imbalance, when the volume knob gets juuuust to where some sound comes out, it is out of balance. As soon as the knob moves juuuuust the next bit up, the channels are even as can be.

Also, the background is just totally silent.

Edit: that imbalance is at the extreme low end of volume, well below any normal listening level

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #3,723 of 7,980
Quote:
Although I have had the amp only a few days now, the Leckerton UHA-6S mkII is pretty magical with the 4.Ai. as far as any channel imbalance, when the volume knob gets juuuust to where some sound comes out, it is out of balance. As soon as the knob moves juuuuust the next bit up, the channels are even as can be.
Edit: that imbalance is at the extreme low end of volume, well below any normal listening level

Considering I'm a Leckerton fan boy I'm glad to hear that news, thanks.

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #3,725 of 7,980
Quote:

Been looking at that along with the UHA-4, but they're pretty hard to find aren't they? Anywhere that I can get a good deal of one?

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #3,726 of 7,980
Quote:
I was afraid the treble may be dull but they are perfect.  Clean and sparkly but never bright or hot.  Great upgrade from my LCD2.1  Easily worth $1500.

So how would you describe the mid and the treble of 8A? For the bass, I saw the frequency graph, I'm definitely into it, but for the mid and treble, I'm not very sure.

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #3,727 of 7,980
Quote:
So how would you describe the mid and the treble of 8A? For the bass, I saw the frequency graph, I'm definitely into it, but for the mid and treble, I'm not very sure.

If the mids on the recording are great than the mids sound great.  I have an older recording of Vivaldi's Four Seasons on Telarc that sounds incredible.  I notice that miking and recording technique are clearly presented on the 8a.  You get those "spooky" voices, the ones that sound real, when they are recorded well, and you get crap when they are recorded crappy.  The higher frequencies are smooth and well presented.  One thing that they don't do is sound stressed when driven hard.  They 8a appears to take almost anything that it is fed without "overloading" if that is the right word.

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #3,728 of 7,980
Quote:
 One thing that they don't do is sound stressed when driven hard.  They 8a appears to take almost anything that it is fed without "overloading" if that is the right word.

That's what I'm hoping to get from my 8.A too. Very much the same with my loudspeakers. I can crank em up until the safety switch from the amp kicks in eventually, but it never hurts and it never distorts. It just gets louder and louder.:wink:

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #3,729 of 7,980
Quote:
 If the mids on the recording are great than the mids sound great.  I have an older recording of Vivaldi's Four Seasons on Telarc that sounds incredible.  I notice that miking and recording technique are clearly presented on the 8a.  You get those "spooky" voices, the ones that sound real, when they are recorded well, and you get crap when they are recorded crappy.  The higher frequencies are smooth and well presented.  One thing that they don't do is sound stressed when driven hard.  They 8a appears to take almost anything that it is fed without "overloading" if that is the right word.

so, do you think 8A will be a great upgrade or sidegrade for me since I own a JH16 for 2 years?

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #3,730 of 7,980
Quote:

No matter what I throw at my 8.A, they never sound stressed. Chopin? No worries, enjoy the musical clarity. Combichrist? Bring it on. Ravel? Sure. Rage Against The Machine? Certainly, would you like som extra punch with that? 

Tuning those 8 drivers to do so many things so damn good must be how Dr. Moulton earned his nickname The Wizard.

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #3,732 of 7,980
Is there an 8.A appreciation thread around here somewhere? Or just a general 8.A "mother-thread"? I keep loving the heck out of mine with the Heir Rendition 1 but I was wondering what other 8.A owners use for amping. My DX100 drives them very well, the R1 does it better. If I'm gonna break my 1-box solution, I might as well do it right the first time. 

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #3,733 of 7,980
...just got News from Sunny today! :)

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #3,734 of 7,980
Is there an 8.A appreciation thread around here somewhere? Or just a general 8.A "mother-thread"? I keep loving the heck out of mine with the Heir Rendition 1 but I was wondering what other 8.A owners use for amping. My DX100 drives them very well, the R1 does it better. If I'm gonna break my 1-box solution, I might as well do it right the first time. 

Iamthinking of getting the rendition 1 too. But right now using the rsa predator.
Wonder how much will the improvement be

Dec 3, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #3,735 of 7,980
Quote:
Iamthinking of getting the rendition 1 too. But right now using the rsa predator.
Wonder how much will the improvement be

The R1 is an improvement over the built-in amp in my DX100, but I'm afraid I haven't heard the RSA Predator so I can't compare those. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back