The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Nov 30, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #3,661 of 7,980
I looked through this entire forum and I can't find any information regarding what the procedure would be like that my audiologist I went to told me she wanted to do on me. Most people here say to drop oil. But the way the audiologist spoke to me, it seemed like she wanted to do something more "professional". :S

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #3,662 of 7,980
Since I'm going to be booking an appointment in the next few days, whats a good product for cleaning out all the wax in your ears? I really don't want to book an appointment only to have to reschedule due to wax buildup. Also, can anyone tell me what would make the perfect bite block just in case the audiologist doesn't have one? Right now I'm comtemplating buying a pack of cigarettes and using that as a bite block.

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #3,664 of 7,980
I can picture it now, me sitting in a big chair with goop in my ears ramming my fingers into my mouth. I should get myself filmed during the process and throw it up on YouTube. With my luck it would go viral and everyone on the planet would know me as the middle aged dude who likes to stick his fingers into his mouth while goop dries in his ears.

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #3,666 of 7,980
Quote:
My ears were squeaky clean apparently, if the audiologist doesn't have a bite block you could always just use your fingers.

Which audiologist did you go to in Toronto? I'm actually from Scarborough but I'm in New York right now for an internship. I'm not having a good experience with the audiologist here. I'm thinking of going back to Toronto to get it done instead. 

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #3,667 of 7,980
I had my impressions done at the hearing clinic at Markham Stoufville Hospital for $50 but there's a place recommended by UE in Downtown Toronto close to UofT St.George called Musicians Clinics of Canada 340 College Street, Suite 340. I was planning to go there to get impressions after class but the clinic at the hospital had an earlier appointment so I opted to go there.

Which audiologist did you go to in Toronto? I'm actually from Scarborough but I'm in New York right now for an internship. I'm not having a good experience with the audiologist here. I'm thinking of going back to Toronto to get it done instead. 

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #3,668 of 7,980
Quote:
I had my impressions done at the hearing clinic at Markham Stoufville Hospital for $50 but there's a place recommended by UE in Downtown Toronto close to UofT St.George called Musicians Clinics of Canada 340 College Street, Suite 340. I was planning to go there to get impressions after class but the clinic at the hospital had an earlier appointment so I opted to go there.

At the hospital? So did the audiologist in the hospital know how to do impressions for CEIM's? IE, did they go to the second bend of your ear canal?

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #3,669 of 7,980
It's actually in a building next to the hospital. The audiologist that did my impressions knew what IEMs were and went a little past the second bend of the canal. I just showed her PDFs from Heir and Unique Melody when she asked if I had any special instructions or anything. They had bite blocks too and a thick cardboard box for me to keep the impressions in.

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #3,670 of 7,980
Quote:
I can picture it now, me sitting in a big chair with goop in my ears ramming my fingers into my mouth. I should get myself filmed during the process and throw it up on YouTube. With my luck it would go viral and everyone on the planet would know me as the middle aged dude who likes to stick his fingers into his mouth while goop dries in his ears.

Try taping a pair of popsicle sticks together so that the width of the two sticks come out to about an inch. Maybe an inch and a half if you want a slightly different fit. My audiologist did this for me since he didn't have a bite block in his office, and my CIEMs seem to fit very well. Super comfy, great isolation. However, the seal breaks relatively easy. I don't have to open my mouth quite as wide as I thought I'd have to in order to break the seal on them. I'm not sure whether this is related to our unorthodox procedures or not. Anyway, enjoy your visit with your audiologist. It's quite the experience.
tongue.gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #3,672 of 7,980
Quote:
The box of cigarettes as an emergency bite block seems like an even better idea now..
rolleyes.gif

I think so, and after it's all done I can walk outside and have a smoke. Talk about killing two birds with one stone

Dec 1, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #3,673 of 7,980
No wax removed and the price was very low. $35 for both although I think he gave me a deal since the price was listed on the company website as $70

The guy was more looking at the Heir web site than at the work he needed to do:)

Dec 1, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #3,674 of 7,980
Quote:

My wife already took pictures of me with what she said "Hubba Bubba" in my ears, biting on some piece of foam, tying not to drool, because you can't swallow your saliva for 3-5 minutes.:)
Fortunately she didn't want any bribes to not upload the picture to social media.

Dec 1, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #3,675 of 7,980
As I have posted previously if your ears are too waxy you will have to reschedule and get them cleaned, I would recommend getting them professionally cleaned. I have been down this road in my first set of impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back