The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Nov 28, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #3,571 of 7,980
Quote:
Thanks, I just went to take a look and it gave me a white page in Chinese with a bunch of format exception strings below. Looks like Heir is having some site problems. I'll check again tomorrow. I'm guessing Heir is swamped with all the orders for the 4A and the 8A because the only confirmation I've gotten so far is from PayPal. I'm not to worried it'll eventually all get ironed out. From all I've read Heir seems to be a company that's on top of things.

Heir has the best service in the industry, I am really impressed. 

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #3,572 of 7,980
Quote:
8.A owners: what's your preferred DAP/rig? I've got an iPod+Arrow 3G right now and a Clip Zip, but If there's something as portable as the Clip but with better sound quality I wanna know about it.

You just invoked the Tera Player crowd ^_^

In other news, I have a Studio V 3rd ANV. It is slightly bright, which AFAIK would pair well with the 8.A.

Experience: Late night thinky-s.

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #3,573 of 7,980
I know the RoCoo BA is not on the same level as the Studio V, but would you say it would be better than my current iPod+Arrow rig? With the 8.A that is.

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #3,574 of 7,980
My Ibasso DX100 sounds phenomenal with the 8.A! 

Portable? Well, how big are your pockets? 
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #3,575 of 7,980
Quote:
I know the RoCoo BA is not on the same level as the Studio V, but would you say it would be better than my current iPod+Arrow rig? With the 8.A that is.

The Studio V is  a hiss fest, I'd stick to the iPod+Arrow rig.

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #3,577 of 7,980
Quote:
i know the RoCoo BA is not on the same level as the Studio V, but would you say it would be better than my current iPod+Arrow rig?

That would be TBD. I had a DIYmod/C421 combo and prefer the V to that for warmer IEMs. But if your Ipod is new, it will be a little more neutral compared to the extremely warm sound of my old 5.5 gen. I guess one reason I liked the old combo is for toggles (EQ, Bass boost, etc). Also another big thing for me was pocketability. Although it sounded fantastic, the Ipod combo was not too comfortable to carry all the time, and even though you have an Arrow I know that it sucks sometimes. Also the 3rdANV has minor hiss with low Z IEMs. Some can bear this more than others, so YMMV.

For more $$$ you may also look into the Sony F series. While not expandable, those are some sexy machines. Turokrocks would be able to tell you more about them. Other good options would be the Colorfly C3 and the Cowon J3, but as with all players, there will be drawbacks. It just depends on what you're willing to sacrifice. For me, I sacrificed EQ, asuper user friendly UI, and a completely black background for pretty good sound quality, stupid good battery life, and tank-like build. YMMV, I was supposed to have my V review up tonight but I got caught up organizing and tagging my music on my MicroSD for it.

Wow, how many places other than Head-fi will you hear of such a lovely night hobby 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 28, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #3,579 of 7,980
Quote:
I'm currently using a Walkman Z + Arrow 4G, are there any better alternatives to this for around the same price as the walkman + arrow amp for pairing with the 8A?

The 8.A sounds nice straight out of my Clip+. Better out of an iPod+Alo RX rig. Even better out of my DX100. Nothing short of amazing out of my DX100+Heir Rendition 1 amp. They'll keep getting better as you upgrade, but you don't need summit-fi gear to make them sound good.

Nov 28, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #3,580 of 7,980
How is the sound signature of the 8 A compared to the 3.Ai?  I didn't really care for the sound signature of the 3.Ai all that much because it was to bright and the mids were to recessed for my tastes along with the soundstage that could have been a bit wider.

Nov 28, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #3,581 of 7,980
Quote:
How is the sound signature of the 8 A compared to the 3.Ai?  I didn't really care for the sound signature of the 3.Ai all that much because it was to bright and the mids were to recessed for my tastes along with the soundstage that could have been a bit wider.

First off, give the 3.Ai some time. They'll grow on you and/or burn in. 
smile.gif

That being said, the 8.A has better bass, mids and highs. As it should, considering the price. Soundstage is a good deal better as well. A much more even presentation, warm but never muddy, amazing highs that never get shrill or sibilant and a thunderous bass when called for.

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #3,582 of 7,980
Quote:
I think what will happen is it will hit customs by Wednesday and the guy in charge of ripping open the packages will rip yours open and become mesmerized by the utter beauty of your new 4A's. Being a curious sort he will then plug them into his cough found iPod cough and try inserting them into his ultra tiny ears. Upon realizing they don't fit he will throw a temper tantrum and with one huge push will permanently lodge the 4A's into his melon head. Freaked out he will then run screaming at the top of his lungs through the streets waving his hands in the air like a lunatic to the emergency ward. Upon arriving there he will begin to feel like a total wiener when he has to explain how he jammed someone elses customs into his ear canals. After some creative explaining of how all this came about to the medical doctors your 4A's will be surgically removed followed by the customs official calling his boss and telling him he's going on medical leave for the next month. I'm guessing you'll get them in your hands in just over a months time. I highly recommend you give them a good cleaning when they arrive
wink_face.gif

This story is so funny that I can't even begin to get upset that you didn't give me a serious answer. Thank you. That made my day.
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #3,583 of 7,980
Quote:
The 8.A sounds nice straight out of my Clip+. Better out of an iPod+Alo RX rig. Even better out of my DX100. Nothing short of amazing out of my DX100+Heir Rendition 1 amp. They'll keep getting better as you upgrade, but you don't need summit-fi gear to make them sound good.

If the DX100 didn't cost a fortune and a half I would get it. But until then......

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #3,585 of 7,980
Quote:
Ever since i received my shipment tracking number,
i have been refreshing the page hundreds of times >.<

Maybe it's just my browser, but I couldn't see your second line until I quoted it here.

And more on topic, that's probably going to be me (between tracking and build status info) for the next month or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back