The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 7, 2024 at 2:25 AM Post #88,502 of 89,866
Thank you kindly, and I'd say it's at the very least equal to the R8 II and WM1Z in terms of technical performance (stage, resolution, imaging, separation). It's also got a darker background in my opinion, which makes these metrics easier to pick out.

I'd love to get more feedback from others who have heard it with their own IEMs and music.

Sorry I couldn't find your original review (I'm new around these parts), but the CMA18 has piqued my attention.

My interest comes from loving the Mojo 2 by a very, very significant margin over anything else (DAP, portable dac/amp or even desktop amp - but I am buying a Chord Alto ASAP)

I have owned or tried for IEMs. I have just gotten rid of my $3800 A&K SP3000 (which was a swap for a Cayin M9 that I really hated due to the very warm sound) - and yes I'll absolutely include that, which I thought sounded ok.

For my (rarely used) dongle, I have a Questyle M15. For me this has a lot in common with the Mojo 2, which is absolutely why I went for it... hence I am interested in at least listening to it's big brother. My current stance is that you'd have to pry my Mojo 2 out of my cold, dead hands & if it was a $3000 device, I'd absolutely have bought it.

Are you a Mojo 2 fan? How do you think it compares, putting recency bias aside (perhaps easier said than done)?

Also could you kindly link your review?

Many thanks!

May 7, 2024 at 2:26 AM Post #88,503 of 89,866
Yeah actually progressive house is a more appropriate tag - I’d say his biggest hit as Quivver was ‘Twist & Shout’ from the Renaissance 2 mix. My love for trance was very much early 90s and mostly acid trance… rarely listen to anything with more than 125bpm these days though 😂

Given my dnb focus was mostly 90s, I must get you to recommend some albums from 2000 onwards. There are certainly a few in my collection, I’ve bought most from Calibre for example but sparse otherwise.
From the 2000-2005-2010 I can point out few artists I loved - Benny Page, Alix Perez, Shy Fx, Ed Rush and Optical, John B, J Magik and Wickaman, Logistics, Total Scienece, Zero T, and ofcourse always anything on the Hospital records - Nu Tone, Hight contrast, London Electricity.

May 7, 2024 at 2:28 AM Post #88,504 of 89,866
From the 2000-2005-2010 I can point out few artists I loved - Benny Page, Alix Perez, Shy Fx, Ed Rush and Optical, John B, J Magik and Wickaman, Logistics, Total Scienece, Zero T, and ofcourse always anything on the Hospital records - Nu Tone, Hight contrast, London Electricity.

Cool, thank you!

May 7, 2024 at 2:40 AM Post #88,505 of 89,866
Yeah actually progressive house is a more appropriate tag - I’d say his biggest hit as Quivver was ‘Twist & Shout’ from the Renaissance 2 mix. My love for trance was very much early 90s and mostly acid trance… rarely listen to anything with more than 125bpm these days though 😂

Given my dnb focus was mostly 90s, I must get you to recommend some albums from 2000 onwards. There are certainly a few in my collection, I’ve bought most from Calibre for example but sparse otherwise.

Calibre is phenomenal. Honestly, good dnb albums are hard to come by - unless they're a label comp (and even those suffer this same fate) - it's very often a couple of excellent tracks which are the ones selling the album.a few ok ones & a bunch of mediocrity.

Two that I'll name off hand are Marcus Intalex's '21' album which features tracks by Marcus & collabs.

Also if you liked the early Ram Records stuff (eg the incredible Speed Of Sound label comp from 96 or even earlier - Quest, Valley Of The Shadows, Sound Control, Night Flight etc), a couple of years ago Ram did a Ram 25 years album which features all the classics & a lotttt of remixes of all the classics. There will be a lot of post 2000 originals in there too. The guys who did the remixes generally knocked it out of the park.

I'm going to make some Tidal playlists for DNB soon which will all be themed - maybe 5 or 6 with around 20 tracks I consider essentials within that theme.

I'll let you know :)

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 2:42 AM Post #88,506 of 89,866

Generally great but you missed the boss - Marcus Intalex (RIP).

May 7, 2024 at 3:00 AM Post #88,507 of 89,866
Generally great but you missed the boss - Marcus Intalex (RIP).
Because you already mentioned him :D but for sure legend!

May 7, 2024 at 3:29 AM Post #88,508 of 89,866
May 7, 2024 at 4:16 AM Post #88,509 of 89,866
FB_IMG_1715069330687.jpg

True!!! He was one of my best friends since 1999. The last time I saw him I went to visit him in Berlin & we went to Berghain (easy to get in as he played there under his Trevino techno alias) & we absolutely raved it up after a fantastic Italian meal & lots of wine.

It was a fitting send off & I can tell you that he was one of the nicest guys in dnb. He was curmudgeonly but in a really funny way. His DJ-ing ethos (especially for longer sets) was to make the crowd wait a while until he played a sure shot banger. He did this one time at a club I had him playing at in Bangkok... started off really deep, then played a banger... the crowd are going nuts, hw turns around to me & says 'this tube is fooking crape' 😂😂😂😂

May 7, 2024 at 4:28 AM Post #88,510 of 89,866
Sorry I couldn't find your original review (I'm new around these parts), but the CMA18 has piqued my attention.

My interest comes from loving the Mojo 2 by a very, very significant margin over anything else (DAP, portable dac/amp or even desktop amp - but I am buying a Chord Alto ASAP)

I have owned or tried for IEMs. I have just gotten rid of my $3800 A&K SP3000 (which was a swap for a Cayin M9 that I really hated due to the very warm sound) - and yes I'll absolutely include that, which I thought sounded ok.

For my (rarely used) dongle, I have a Questyle M15. For me this has a lot in common with the Mojo 2, which is absolutely why I went for it... hence I am interested in at least listening to it's big brother. My current stance is that you'd have to pry my Mojo 2 out of my cold, dead hands & if it was a $3000 device, I'd absolutely have bought it.

Are you a Mojo 2 fan? How do you think it compares, putting recency bias aside (perhaps easier said than done)?

Also could you kindly link your review?

Many thanks!
Actually I have not listened to a Chord product yet, keen on doing so though.

The idea of not having a GUI has always put me off, dont like to dongle of my phone.

But who knows maybe ill like it.

May 7, 2024 at 4:44 AM Post #88,511 of 89,866
Actually I have not listened to a Chord product yet, keen on doing so though.

The idea of not having a GUI has always put me off, dont like to dongle of my phone.

But who knows maybe ill like it.

They're absolutely incredible. I've put literally dozens of people onto them & they've bought one & got rid of their other similar gear. IMO absolutely light years ahead to the point it's embarrassing that others are so far behind.

And honestly, not having a GUI... that colour ball system takes 15 minutes at most to get used to if you actually concentrate (if you can remember a phone number, you can do this) & the DSP is absolutely incredible.

I worked with music/sound for around 25 years and I have never once been so impressed with a product, all things considered.

May 7, 2024 at 4:53 AM Post #88,512 of 89,866
The @Craft Ears Omniums are a proper flagship. I really enjoy how much of an all-rounder they are. I love how they do treble, how solid the subbass is, and above all, and this is coming from someone who's not a mid-head, how absolutely transparent and nuanced the midrange is. I hear midrange nuances with this that I don't with more expensive IEMs and I can't help but think that it's the planar driver at play.

PXL_20240507_060009126.jpg

PXL_20240507_060057177~2.jpg

PXL_20240507_034407267.jpg

PXL_20240507_034450105.jpg

PXL_20240507_034851102.jpg

Craft Ears FR.png

May 7, 2024 at 4:59 AM Post #88,513 of 89,866
The @Craft Ears Omniums are a proper flagship. I really enjoy how much of an all-rounder they are. I love how they do treble, how solid the subbass is, and above all, and this is coming from someone who's not a mid-head, how absolutely transparent and nuanced the midrange is. I hear midrange nuances with this that I don't with more expensive IEMs and I can't help but think that it's the planar driver at play.

PXL_20240507_060009126.jpg

PXL_20240507_060057177~2.jpg

PXL_20240507_034407267.jpg

PXL_20240507_034450105.jpg

PXL_20240507_034851102.jpg

Craft Ears FR.png
Some of my favorite iem midrange seems to come from Planar Drivers, seems to be a consistent trend. I enjoyed the midrange of the Omnium alot, and the slam of the subbass especially.

May 7, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #88,514 of 89,866
#5900…countdown to 6k!

All we need is a new-gear-related topic or two, and we could be there in days! :smile: Speaking of which...

IMG_2400.jpeg

I've been spending some quality time with both versions of the "Eletech Prototype" a.k.a. Romeo.

The one on the left (affectionately nicknamed OG), was previewed at CanJam NYC 2024, and it's the one that most of you have heard. The one on the right has been dubbed V2, and it was at CanJam Singapore 2024. I was also able to roll both of them with a bunch of ET cables - as well as try out the new "in-between" sizes of Baroque tips - all exhaustively over the course of the past two weeks. My critical listening ears are so tired and sleepy now. :sleeping:

I'll reserve my impressions for now, as these are going to @Rockwell75 next, and I don't want to influence him with any of my thoughts. However I will say, that while the differences between OG and V2 can clearly be heard and discerned, I honestly can't say which one I liked better. :thinking: Depending on personal preferences, I can easily see a case being made for either version.

I'm trying to remain calm and reserved about these, but who am I kidding, I'm probably going to pull the trigger on this when it launches - regardless of which one they decide upon. 🥰

Users who are viewing this thread

Back