The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 31, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #69,211 of 90,586
miniXLR to XLR but with adapters for 3.5 headphone and 4.4mm termination.

I would need to have an XLR to 6.3mm adapter then. If this can be provided with matching Furutech XLR to 6.3mm adapter, I would be so happy if this is too much to ask.

Nov 1, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #69,212 of 90,586
Nov 1, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #69,213 of 90,586
Oh wow let’s explore Dallas on this!

In other news, I’ve spent a ridiculous amount of time with the Fei Wan now that I have my own unit. It is incredibly tip sensitive for me with the Eletech Baroque and Symbio tips being my favorite of the bunch I’ve tried as they provided the most balanced sound, with SpinFits really messing up the treble unfortunately.

IMG_7261.jpeg

I hear this to be one of the most perfectly balanced IEMs relative to my how my ears perceive this sound (not to be confused with neutral, it is not neutral). I have always taken care of my hearing which is probably a good reason why I can still hear quite high up in the treble for being 34. I suspect maybe anyone with upper treble hearing loss may hear this as too mid treble energetic, but I find the balance to be excellent.

This IEM is very easy to drive too as it scales down quite well to the iPhone dongle (my N30 is being replaced with a rebased unit so I am without it for a week or so).

I will be ordering this as a CIEM next week so I need to finalize a design soon. I’m unsure if I stick with the “piss yellow” as some people call it or see what I can come up with. I’m not the most creative person and I tend to prefer simplicity, but I love this yellow as well. 🤔
Initially I'm okay with the "piss yellow" but then I decide to go green with my custom faceplate but still on universal shell 🤭

If only Aroma has an IEM designer like 64a or FiR that would be great. Last time I make a custom faceplate for my Jewel using their PDF files and I don't like the result ☹️

Nov 1, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #69,217 of 90,586
Welcome! :smiley: Oh before I forget, Noble doesn't do ear impressions at shows.

1698815152343_1.gif

Dr. John (Audiologist)

AKA: Wizard
AKA: Founder of Noble Audio

The guy with the qualifications/credentials/experience makes ear mold impressions at shows.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Nov 1, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #69,218 of 90,586
Nov 1, 2023 at 1:30 AM Post #69,219 of 90,586
I haven't rolled cables with AP but I did with Mentor around 8 months ago:

received_324585076840195.jpeg

Mentors timbre could sometimes be a bit edgy with the mid treble with a DAP like N8ii and RS8 (OG firmware). PWA Orpheus expanded the stage, added warmth and smoothed over the treble improving my playback for vocals and classical.
Yes, these improvements are in line with what I perceive with First Time - baby Orphy - compared to Deep of Universe: "stage, warmth, smoother treble improving vocals". Still, a comparison between MM and AP with the same cable would have been very interesting.

Nov 1, 2023 at 1:57 AM Post #69,220 of 90,586
Initially I'm okay with the "piss yellow" but then I decide to go green with my custom faceplate but still on universal shell 🤭

If only Aroma has an IEM designer like 64a or FiR that would be great. Last time I make a custom faceplate for my Jewel using their PDF files and I don't like the result ☹️
JH still has the most insane IEM designer by far IMO; 3D models with 360 degrees of rotation and lighting. If only it didn't take ages to load on mobile. :D

Nov 1, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #69,223 of 90,586
Is there a library of these kinds of plugins for SoundSource?

A library, as in a place that sorts these plugins for an audiophile to go through? No.

Soundsource is just a systemwide audio control app for MacOS that gives a regular user the ability to insert plugins, ones who do not use DAWs and also ones who just want to use these plugins for casual listening or watching movies. It also has in-built AutoEQ feature that has calibration files based on Oratory1990, Crinacle, Headphones dot com and a few different graph databases. They all calibrate the models to Harman Target but I bounce my own calibration files from my own measurements and to my preferred targets. :wink:

These room modelling plugins like the one I was talking about are actually pro-audio plugins made for music production use, mainly for monitoring on headphones/IEMs, but very well can be used for proper music listening because room modelling is quite a cool concept and option for people who cannot build a proper listening room with good speakers in their houses due to space constraints, cost of build or the noise levels. It of course has its limitations because you don't perceive the physicality of sound and for a lot of people that is important, but it gets you close to the speakers in a room sound, with the crosstalk happening between left and right speakers and your left and right ear, with enough ambience for the sound to not have a direct sound that headphones and IEMs have and feel like it's sound played in a room. You can control that amount of ambience in the plugin and what it mostly does is increases or decreases the amount of reflections of the walls as well as the crosstalk. It also has the capability to do 5.1 and 7.1 setups besides stereo.

The Waves Nx Ocean Way Nashville plugin is a 'famous studio' expansion plugin made by the pro-audio company Waves Audio for their Waves Nx series. They are probably the biggest pro-audio plugin making company and have the widest range of every type of plugin you can imagine. If you just talk about Waves Nx, it is primarily a head tracking and room modelling plugin. The head tracker tracks your head movement via their head tracker device (that can be purchased separately) or via the laptop's camera. So, if you move your head around, the sound of the speakers will move like it does in the real life when listening to speakers. It works better with their head tracker than the camera (has minute latency) but I don't use the head tracking feature at all. They also have Headphone EQ calibration for almost all the popular headphone models that calibrates them to their neutral target which then enables the room modelling to work its best. But again, I sometimes use their Headphone calibration or use my own IEM calibration files made from my own measurements.

The Waves Nx expansion studio packs include studio room modelling of studios like Abbey Road Studio 3, Chris Lord Alge's Mix LA, Ocean Way Nashville and Germano New York. So, imagine listening to how the iconic Abbey Road Studio 3 sounds from the comfort of your bed, once you have everything calibrated. :sweat_smile: Here's their product announcement video which can give you an idea.

I know of 3 companies who make room modelling plugins at the moment - Waves, Slate and Audeze.

Slate Audio have a headphone + room modelling bundle called the VSX, which is a Beryllium driver headphone that comes bundled with quite a lot of famous studio rooms modelled in its accompanying plugin. So one can use that when working on music production on the go, when mixing on headphones or as an excellent cross-referencing platform.

@Audeze have their Reveal+ plugin that has EQ calibration for all their headphones and model different studio rooms like the others. I recently came across them announcing a collaboration with Dolby Atmos to model a Dolby Atmos room with their Maxwell headphone. The Maxwell headphone has head tracking capability too.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #69,224 of 90,586
A library, as in a place that sorts these plugins for an audiophile to go through? No.

Soundsource is just a systemwide audio control app for MacOS that gives a regular user the ability to insert plugins, ones who do not use DAWs and also ones who just want to use these plugins for casual listening or watching movies. It also has in-built AutoEQ feature that has calibration files from Oratory1990, Crinacle, Headphones do com and a few different graph databases. They all calibrate the models to Harman Target but I bounce my own calibration files from my own measurements and to my preferred preference targets. :wink:

These room modelling plugins like the one I was talking about are actually pro-audio plugins made for music production use but very well can be used for proper music listening because room modelling is quite a cool concept and option for people who cannot build a proper listening room with good speakers in their houses due to space constraints, cost of build or the noise levels.

The Waves Nx Ocean Way Nashville plugin is an expansion plugin made by the pro-audio company Waves Audio for their Waves Nx series. They are probably the biggest pro-audio plugin making company and have the widest range of every type of plugin you can imagine. If you just talk about Waves Nx, it is primarily a head tracking and room modelling plugin. The head tracker tracks your head movement via their head tracker device (that can be purchased separately) or via the laptop's camera. So, if you move your head around, the sound of the speakers will move like it does in the real life when listening to speakers. For example when you move your head to the left when listening to speakers, you hear more in your right ear and less in the left ear. It replicates that in room modelling for headphones and IEMs. It works better with their head tracker than the camera (due to a bit of latency) but I don't use the head tracking feature at all. They also have Headphone EQ calibration for popular headphone models that calibrates them to their neutral target which then enables the room modelling to work its best. But again, I use my own calibration files made from my own measurements.

The Waves Nx expansion studio packs include studio room modelling of studios like Abbey Road Studio 3, Chris Lord Alge's Mix LA, Ocean Way Nashville and Germano New York. So, imagine listening to how the iconic Abbey Road Studio 3 sounds from the comfort of your bed, once you have everything calibrated. :sweat_smile: Here's their product announcement video which can give you an idea.

I know of 3 companies who make room modelling plugins at the moment - Waves, Slate and Audeze.

Slate Audio have a headphone + room modelling bundle called the VSX, which is a Beryllium driver headphone that comes bundled with lots of famous studio rooms modelled in its accompanying plugin. So one can use that when working on music production on the go, when mixing on headphones or as an excellent cross-referencing platform.

@Audeze have their Reveal+ plugin that has EQ calibration for all their headphones and model a few different studio rooms. I recently came across them announcing a collaboration with Dolby Atmos to model a Dolby Atmos room with their Maxwell headphone. The Maxwell headphone has head tracking capability too.

Thanks, I know all about SoundSource, it's an essential utility for me on both of my Macs.

It's the fancy plug-ins Audio Unit plug-ins I was after. Afaik the Audeze Reveal one doesn't come cheap, I'm assuming the others have a price tag as well.

I was more wondering if you know of any other download sources for AudioUnit plug ins, otherwise I'll just go off and hunt for myself..

Nov 1, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #69,225 of 90,586
I'd love to see a poll of what DAP everyone is using...:)
Aune M1s... and Aune M1p... 😂

The first for years.
The second for mouths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back