The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 30, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #88,006 of 89,709
The dongle wars are intersting, but I really needed a dongle with a battery because the battery life on my phone is pretty terrible (iPhone 15 Pro). I decided to get a Chord Mojo2 and it's a fantastic sounding device. It has a bit of an analog tone and a touch of warmth. It also has a built in battery saving my bacon multiple times! I do feel like I need a degree in nuclear science to use it, but I have gotten the hang of it. I know it's only 3.5mm, but it's a darn good sounding little DAC/AMP.

Apr 30, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #88,007 of 89,709
That's the one I have already mentioned...doesn't count :wink:

My thoughts are: How serious are you/they/we...about loving this? I am not calling it even a hobby.
I seriously love the music...and everything that comes with it.
I always loved Hi Fi...even when I couldn't afford it...but I could afford to enjoy observing it.
Okay, I don't search for the "end game sound," so I don't count, but how many of you are like me?
Seriously, loving music...and have an affection for gear.
I could probably stop having an interest in buying new gear...but I wouldn't start selling either.

Just chit-chatting...it's not a debate. :)
honestly i go back and forth on this all the time.

Could i live one IEM, one headphone, and amps? maybe. I tell myself thats the end goal. But deep down, i know it would only be temporary.

Apr 30, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #88,008 of 89,709
That's the one I have already mentioned...doesn't count :wink:

My thoughts are: How serious are you/they/we...about loving this? I am not calling it even a hobby.
I seriously love the music...and everything that comes with it.
I always loved Hi Fi...even when I couldn't afford it...but I could afford to enjoy observing it.
Okay, I don't search for the "end game sound," so I don't count, but how many of you are like me?
Seriously, loving music...and have an affection for gear.
I could probably stop having an interest in buying new gear...but I wouldn't start selling either.

Just chit-chatting...it's not a debate. :)

Perhaps they realised that reading forums, chasing gear, wanting to try the next great thing and spending more and more money for small gains that they enjoy for a while then realise it is just different not necessarily better was getting in the way of the reason that they got interested in better sound, that being to enjoy their music more.

I can identify with that.

Apr 30, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #88,010 of 89,709
Those are the AET07. My second most used tips, after Divinus Velvet.
The dongle wars are intersting, but I really needed a dongle with a battery because the battery life on my phone is pretty terrible (iPhone 15 Pro). I decided to get a Chord Mojo2 and it's a fantastic sounding device. It has a bit of an analog tone and a touch of warmth. It also has a built in battery saving my bacon multiple times! I do feel like I need a degree in nuclear science to use it, but I have gotten the hang of it. I know it's only 3.5mm, but it's a darn good sounding little DAC/AMP.
I second this chord really is so good for what it is 🔥👌

Apr 30, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #88,011 of 89,709
that being to enjoy their music more.
Why do you think buying gear would stop you from enjoying music more?
Don't see these two things related at all.
I listen to music every day 15-16 hours every day...and still have time to buy a lot of gear. :ksc75smile:
I am listening to music right now on the headphones, pretty loud, too...while chit-chatting. :)

Apr 30, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #88,012 of 89,709
With my Cayin N30 DAP, I still prefer my Amber Pearl IEM to my Final D8000 Pro LE.

This lead me to believe that with DAPs, even a very powerful one, TOL IEM sound better than any Full size headphone that need a Desktop Amp to offer their full potentiel...

Soon I will be able to try my Final D8000 promLE with my desktop tube Amp, a EC445. I will see if then the Final beat the Amber Pearl IEM. :wink:

Attachments​

• IMG_6508.jpeg

Apr 30, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #88,013 of 89,709
Why do you think buying gear would stop you from enjoying music more?
Don't see these two things related at all.
I listen to music every day 15-16 hours every day...and still have time to buy a lot of gear. :ksc75smile:
I am listening to music right now on the headphones, pretty loud, too...while chit-chatting. :)

I think it is self explanatory why getting to far down a gear chasing rabbit hole might detract from the initial intention and sprit of the hobby, that being simply enjoying music on equipment that sounds good.

I listen to music around 8 hours working days while I work and at other times that suits. I do find that fixating on gear can detract from simply enjoying the music and I can totally see how that could become a motivation to "get out of the hobby".

You asked the question, I was posing a potential scenario that I can identify with, you said it wasn't a debate yet you immediately debate.

Apr 30, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #88,015 of 89,709
You...mad? :fearful:
1.jpg

You posed a question, I gave a response, you expressed a different opinion to my response saying that you didn't see the tie up between chasing gear and enjoying music, that is the very definition of debate.

No I am not mad.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #88,017 of 89,709
What is your opinion on a company releasing IEM’s often? Specifically TOTL price IEM’s..

Im noticing that im not that attracted to UM Iem’s due to the shear amount of totl iems coming out. To me it almost seems out of focus, as if they did not decide what the actual best iem was that they could make.

But you could also say: more flavors, and only the best can make multiple iems on top level of different flavors….

I dont know, but personally I like the approach of something being build to be able to enjoy a lifetime (even if you replace it early) without being “bested” by that same maker within months.

Like storm, if storm 2 was released 6 months later, the value and story of storm 1 eould be diminished. As would the experience for the buyer (does depend on the person ofc.)

Apr 30, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #88,018 of 89,709
What is your opinion on a company releasing IEM’s often? Specifically TOTL price IEM’s..

Im noticing that im not that attracted to UM Iem’s due to the shear amount of totl iems coming out. To me it almost seems out of focus, as if they did not decide what the actual best iem was that they could make.

They want to sell more to make more money so they provide more options to attract more buyers.

Apr 30, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #88,019 of 89,709
New-DAP-day

IMG_3433.jpeg

IMG_3437.jpeg

IMG_3439.jpeg

IMG_3441.jpeg
It’s grown on me. It drives everything I have so well. I actually like Singularity with it more than I did with the N30LE. At first, it will seem like Class AB presents more visceral low end, but after about 100 hours, things smooth out and Class A resembles what I’m familiar with a Class A amplifier bringing to a monitor. Enjoy.

Apr 30, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #88,020 of 89,709
They want to sell more to make more money so they provide more options to attract more buyers.
Im no marketeer and dont have numbers, but that same tactic makes me not want to buy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back