The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 29, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #87,871 of 90,391
To all the coolers who just finished the tour of Supreme V3, what are your thoughts of it? I get the impressions from a couple HF er's it's a decent set but would love to hear what the majority consensus.
I didn't participate in the tour but loved what I heard except for its brightness. Still it's one of my favourites as I found the rest to be top notch. Now take off half the weight and half the costs and it's a super killer.

drftr

Apr 29, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #87,872 of 90,391
👍

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #87,873 of 90,391
May I ask how the Lavinia enhances the Trifecta sound? 🙂
Gives an extra glow to all the good aspects - width of stage, texture of subbass, dynamic impact - while adding a tiny bit of warm weight to the mids and controlling the treble just the tiniest bit as well. It doesn't alter their character at all, just notches up the smoothness and coherency to 11.

Apr 29, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #87,875 of 90,391
Z1R are exciting and authoritative IEMs. I have Nio, which is great, but compared to Z1R, it is boring. 🥱 🥱 🥱
I don't know how much Volür is similar to Nio..but it is 64 Audio, after all... It could be similar,
but I guess it's a boring sound signature, too. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Cheers!
Very interesting because if you look at the Z1Rs frequency response, it doesn't graph with a lot of bass. That driver must be pushing a lot of air very fast.

Apr 29, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #87,876 of 90,391
Although Z1R has one of the best bass, I found many IEMs (though not necessarily better in either quality or quantity in critical A/B test) have equally or more enjoyable bass performance, that also include Bonneville, and to many's disagreement, Anni 23. I even found some BA bass very enjoyable, at least have a different flavor of enjoyment.

The good news to me is though, after the excitement of so many TOTL IEMs, whenever I came back to Z1R, I found it still stand its ground pretty well.

Apr 29, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #87,877 of 90,391
Thank-you to everyone for all the thoughtful responses to the Credo question. Lots of great wisdom and advice here.

Someday, when we have more time, we should edit together a mega compendium! That way, newcomers to this thread can get a feel for what they're about to dive into. :smile:

Nice...I probably read this before and subconsciously internalized it.

Or more likely that we happen to feel the same way! :smiley:

That was me at one point. Living as I do in a comparative IEM wasteland my early days were filled with many unfortunate blind buys. I tried using measurements but didn't find them consistently helpful as it turns out my own tastes vary over a vast range of different FR presentations and beyond a point, as @goldwerger aptly noted, reading graphs is pretty much like reading tea leaves. Listening first is and always will be the only way to get a proper sense of something-- one must taste the fruit to know the flavor. So for me I wound up starting a tour program, networking with folks and traveling to CanJams.

Yeah, it's almost unavoidable at first... especially given how niche this hobby is, and how lacking retail outlets are. And though it's old hat to us now, I can see how going to a CanJam (or even a local meet-up with complete strangers) might be uncomfortable or even daunting from a lot of people. If anything, I guess what I'm trying to say is that we're blessed. :pray:

All my previous credos in life have ended up under the table at some point for the sole reason that life exists: Change and evolution.

So while my one credo right now might be "As long as I only have 1 pair of ears I only need 1 pair of IEMs" who knows what happens next and I buy 10 instead?

giphy.gif

Draw me like one of your French girls drftr :smile:

Apr 29, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #87,878 of 90,391
Very interesting because if you look at the Z1Rs frequency response, it doesn't graph with a lot of bass. That driver must be pushing a lot of air very fast.
If you don't or could not get a chance to demo, graph is the last resource you can find to help your purchasing decision. I usually never study or even look at frequency response curve as it is has nothing to do with my personal experience.

BTW, the bass in Z1R is usually not consider as fast. The overall performance of Z1R is never in the area of speed.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #87,880 of 90,391
Letshuoer S12 ($109), Hidizs MP145 ($128), Kiwi Ear Quartet ($109), or Simgot EM6L ($110)? These would be my first real upgrade from budget IEMs (I enjoy my Kiwi Ear Cadenzas the most - also like the Salnotes Zero 2 because they fit well). I have bigger ears, so size isn't an issue. I would lean towards the MP145 based on everything I'm reading. Based on liking the Cadenza's sound signature and these options, which would be the best upgrade? Something I'm not considering that I should?

Apr 29, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #87,881 of 90,391
I even found some BA bass very enjoyable
Yes, love the bass on my V16 Divinity. I EQ about 1db into the upper mids and 2db to the air frequencies to make it more contrasty and using crossfeed on the Mojo 2 makes it sound even more filled out. It's like the best of both DD and BA driver tech combined into a single driver.

V16 bass has been one of my favourites so far!

Apr 29, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #87,882 of 90,391
Letshuoer S12 ($109), Hidizs MP145 ($128), Kiwi Ear Quartet ($109), or Simgot EM6L ($110)? These would be my first real upgrade from budget IEMs (I enjoy my Kiwi Ear Cadenzas the most - also like the Salnotes Zero 2 because they fit well). I have bigger ears, so size isn't an issue. I would lean towards the MP145 based on everything I'm reading. Based on liking the Cadenza's sound signature and these options, which would be the best upgrade? Something I'm not considering that I should?

I just recently got the EM6L and I think they are one of Simgot's best tunings. Not too bright but still resolving and leaning more musical than clinical. The Quartet is pretty divisive so check multiple reviews for that. I've not heard either of the planars there but I don't really like planar timbre myself.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #87,883 of 90,391
You will get a better answer for this question in the Discovery thread… MP145 is the way to go tho imo!

Apr 29, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #87,885 of 90,391
I really liked the Kiwi Ears Quartett when I demo'ed @Quartex unit. A very sympathetic, warm tuning that made me smile.

If you like a more neutral tuning, the Sennheiser IE200 might be worth a try.

Also maybe check out the iBasso 3T-154.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back