The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 23, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #82,021 of 90,405
Was listening to N7 and forgot that I had some very nice live performance in the playlist - suddenly heard some strange noises in apartment just to realise that they were coming from the recording itself šŸ˜‚
Surprised how this DAP can portrait things.
Speaking of which another awarding mention goes to the most life-like vomiting sounds by the Dead Kennedys vocalist in the ā€œToo Drunk to ****ā€ song.
Not sure that this is an exactly what I wanted to hear when I made a wish to own a player providing the most realistic experience but we got what we got folks.
On a serious note Iā€™m also impressed on how correct DSDs are being played - almost caught myself questioning if I was actually doing studio mastering listening to the some recorded music.
IMG_0407.jpeg

Feb 23, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #82,023 of 90,405
Not sure if itā€™s just me, but does anyone else have issues with how ā€œcurvedā€ the shrink wrap is on cables nowadays? I always have to go at it with a hair dryer. The cable just digs into my ear if I donā€™t.

I mean, look at this, thereā€™s barely any gap in itā€™s natural state:
Most cables I've gotten the past year have had this "feature" - ear hooks that are too narrow, too small. Sometimes the unnatural cable bend relative to my ears tugs the monitor out of my ear if I am using a short nozzle IEM and I turn my head quickly. Or it slips up over my ear if I don't keep pressing it down.

On the topic of too small or tight, many tips are described as a size larger than they actually are. Recent examples being TRI Clarion and Eletech Baroque. This makes me feel like I come from the land of the giants, which at 6'4" is a fair description.

Feb 23, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #82,024 of 90,405
Canā€™t wait for the Amsterdam get together next month- thanks @drftr for organising it!

Fei Wan, Amber Pearl, Trailliii, Raven and Canpur CP622B are all pretty high up my wish list. Synergy with the N30LE is also a pretty big consideration.

EDIT: adding VE10 to the list :p

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #82,025 of 90,405
Canā€™t wait for the Amsterdam get together next month- thanks @drftr for organising it!

Fei Wan, Amber Pearl, Trailliii and the Canpur CP622B are all pretty high up my wish list. Synergy with the N30LE is also a pretty big consideration.
Can't wait for a VE10 / CP622b / Rosenkranz Silver shoot-out myself. Here's to hoping they sound crap and save my wallet: šŸ»

Related: Is anyone using VE10 with a tube source or amp?

drftr

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #82,026 of 90,405
Can't wait for a VE10 / CP622b / Rosenkranz Silver shoot-out myself. Here's to hoping they sound crap and save my wallet: šŸ»

Related: Is anyone using VE10 with a tube source or amp?

drftr
Iā€™ve used it with the N7 and C9, the hissing is quite mild, about the same as the N7 alone. I havenā€™t tried it on tube mode yet though.

Feb 23, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #82,027 of 90,405
Feb 23, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #82,029 of 90,405
It's only $325.

That's someone's monthly paycheck. Getting disoriented in the numbers game is way too easy once you're out of the mud. But I do understand your sentiment in the grand scheme of this hobby.
ylnsjzm7j0s61.gif

ehhhhhh

I'll split hairs on this. Like, I'm the last person that's going to be defending the inflation game of pricing in general. It's funny, because I literally just saw this exact conversation on a statue forum, where they were talking about 1/4 scale resin pieces being a lot more fun when, even ten odd years ago, $350-$400 got you a full-fledged display piece and now you're looking at an average of 8, maybe $900 for the same scale figure (granted, improved paint apps, but still). That having been said: your average set of AirPods is, what, like 200, maybe 240 bucks or so, before taxes? Most gaming headsets nowadays are easily 250, 300. $325 isn't nothing, sure, but calling it someone's monthly paycheck feels like hyperbole. More to the point, disregarding kilobuck+ sets, that price point isn't exactly obnoxiously high even relative to audio gear marketed at a larger, more casual demographic. I can totally get behind the "different amounts of money are a lot to different people", mentality, but still, that's not a lot of sticker shock on a set of headphones, and it's about what my v-modas ran me 10 odd years back. Again, this is all assuming you're not buying multiple sets or whatever. And if you are, you know, shame on capitalism, something something, eat the rich and all that jazz.

Feb 23, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #82,030 of 90,405
Perfect timing for Friday night music shopping and red wine :)

IMG_1529.jpeg

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #82,032 of 90,405
Feb 23, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #82,033 of 90,405
Feb 23, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #82,034 of 90,405
VE knocked it out of the park with this one.

Organic, musical, engaging, rich, vivid, fullness, tactile, smooth, romantic, comfortable are just a few of the words I would use to describe this IEM. Handles any genre with ease.

Curious to see the next IEM that wants to contend with this type of sound/tuning.

20240223_160845.jpg

Feb 23, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #82,035 of 90,405
Review published for Project M by DITA - HERE

A great set that I will be bringing to the Amsterdam meet up in less than four weeks! Looking forward to meeting those of you who are going...

P1030290.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back