The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 20, 2024 at 2:24 AM Post #79,039 of 90,403
Soundstage and imaging: that's exactly what excites me so much. The difference to the AZLA Crystal/SednaEarfit/Short is so clear, I couldn't believe it. I also have the feeling that the W1 is more balanced overall.

Thank you for the fast reply. Ordered.
@phiemon Where did you end up ordering from? I thought the w1 was the upgraded version?

@Auricon Thank you for the clarification. With the w1 and the XE6 how well does it work with the kinetic bass? Wondering what the W1 would do for the RN6? I can see some tip rolling in my future.

Jan 20, 2024 at 2:44 AM Post #79,042 of 90,403
Where the hell does one acquire such tips from, please?
I bought the Divinus Velvet from Amazon Japan and the others from MTMTaudio in Hong Kong. Unfortunately most of these tips are not available in Europe and have to be shipped across the globe.

Jan 20, 2024 at 2:45 AM Post #79,043 of 90,403
After discovering the SpinFit W1 and being very enthusiastic about it, I wanted to know how it differs in sound from the CP145, which has practically the same shape. Does anyone have any experience with them?
Funny you should ask...
@gLer can help you with that šŸ˜
...yeah I just 'discovered' the 145 yesterday. Not sure how after all these years I've never used them. I absolutely love W1, but until they made size SS, the S size was always a touch too big, even though it was so soft and supple. I found over longer sessions, because the W1 stem is firmer, pressure buildup inside my ear became a bit much.

Now, I've only has a day and a few brief sessions with the 145, but to compare:

1. 145 is softer. This surprised me, as I thought W1 was one of the softest silicone tips I've ever used.

2. Stem is softer too. I think this is the secret to 145 feeling more comfortable.

3. I find bass tighter, mids more open, and stage bigger with 145 with all my IEMs. It might be a touch brighter than W1 but only in direct comparison. They're very close. It does tend to smooth out the highs more than W1, so if you're struggling with upper treble peaks, 145 is probably better.

4. The umbrella part is shorter on 145. This along with the softer stem is the key to its comfort. It means the umbrella has room to collapse once the stem is in, creating less pressure.

Also, despite the stated dimensions, I find CP145 to be about the same size as W1 SS. Maybe a hair wider at the widest part (excuse my terrible pic below).

I've decided to get 145 tips for all my uni IEMs, all size S, other than for IE900, which needs size M to seal.

Hope this helps.

CP145 S left, W1 SS right.

20240119_133313_HDR.jpg

Jan 20, 2024 at 2:48 AM Post #79,044 of 90,403
Where the hell does one acquire such tips from, please?
Apologies for the additional post, only saw this now. Amazon US and UK (and Amazon JP if you're outside the US/UK) should stock all the SpinFit tips. I find Amazon JP better as they use DHL for faster delivery.

Jan 20, 2024 at 2:49 AM Post #79,045 of 90,403
Jan 20, 2024 at 2:53 AM Post #79,046 of 90,403
@phiemon Where did you end up ordering from? I thought the w1 was the upgraded version?
HiFi-Passion.de. Yes, that's what I thought too!

Funny you should ask...

...yeah I just 'discovered' the 145 yesterday. Not sure how after all these years I've never used them. I absolutely love W1, but until they made size SS, the S size was always a touch too big, even though it was so soft and supple. I found over longer sessions, because the W1 stem is firmer, pressure buildup inside my ear became a bit much.

Now, I've only has a day and a few brief sessions with the 145, but to compare:

1. 145 is softer. This surprised me, as I thought W1 was one of the softest silicone tips I've ever used.

2. Stem is softer too. I think this is the secret to 145 feeling more comfortable.

3. I find bass tighter, mids more open, and stage bigger with 145 with all my IEMs. It might be a touch brighter than W1 but only in direct comparison. They're very close. It does tend to smooth out the highs more than W1, so if you're struggling with upper treble peaks, 145 is probably better.

4. The umbrella part is shorter on 145. This along with the softer stem is the key to its comfort. It means the umbrella has room to collapse once the stem is in, creating less pressure.

Also, despite the stated dimensions, I find CP145 to be about the same size as W1 SS. Maybe a hair wider at the widest part (excuse my terrible pic below).

I've decided to get 145 tips for all my uni IEMs, all size S, other than for IE900, which needs size M to seal.

Hope this helps.

CP145 S left, W1 SS right.

Thank you for the detailed answer.

Man, I hate it when impressions contradict each other in this hobby, as I could find in the meantime: "when you compare W1 to other CP100+/CP145, W1 gives you more bass (I hear more sub-bass) and a bit smoother treble. Will depend on which IEM you pairing it with, but with Jewel I switched to W1 and keeping it!!!" (@twister6, https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...n-first-page-all-welcome.957426/post-17054314) Of course, this has to do with the ear anatomy, still...

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 2:57 AM Post #79,047 of 90,403
The sheer excellence of the Trifecta + WM1Z pairup has made it hard for me to listen to anytihng else this past month however today I put the WM1Z away for a bit and decided to spend some time with another epic player I have on hand-- the Hiby RS8. I connected this EA Code 24 to my Dita Perpetua and through the RS8 it's an excellent pairup. I got the Perpetua around the same time as the 1Z and since it's also a great pairup I haven't really budged since...but I think the Hiby might edge it a bit in this case. Soundstage feels broader and deeper (perhaps due to the extra power) sound is incredibly smooth, refined, layered and articulate, and the timbre is immaculate. Vocals male and female are smooth seductive and delightful...I've been keeping an ear out for that peak but notihing has cropped up for me yet. Sound is smooth as silk and so easy to listen to.

C6A410D1-004E-4638-9A4F-6D1F6A5A2013.JPEG
I haven't been brave enough to look into a cable for PPT, how is the cable? I personally think PPT and RS8 are a perfect pair. Even Dita team think so too, and they also the distributor of Lotoo and don't sell any Hiby related products.

Jan 20, 2024 at 2:57 AM Post #79,048 of 90,403
  • After discovering the SpinFit W1 and being very enthusiastic about it, I wanted to know how it differs in sound from the CP145, which has practically the same shape. Does anyone have any experience with them?
Quite different to me, mostly due to how they fit. Given the same fit on the nozzle, the caps of Cp145 extend further than the W1 (in other words, the W1 has more stem than CP145). The extension of the cap pushes the IEMs further away, meaning
  • the resonance peak would be brought lower into audible region, and
  • the earpieces would be pushed further away from eardrums, stretching the stage out side to side.
In practice, I canā€™t use the medium Cp145 tips in the box of U12t, but the medium W1 works nicely. By inserting a bit deeper, the ā€œTIA peakā€ is pushed higher into ā€œairā€ region rather than lingering around 12kHz and sounds like icepick sometimes.

Jan 20, 2024 at 3:14 AM Post #79,049 of 90,403
Quite different to me, mostly due to how they fit. Given the same fit on the nozzle, the caps of Cp145 extend further than the W1 (in other words, the W1 has more stem than CP145). The extension of the cap pushes the IEMs further away, meaning
  • the resonance peak would be brought lower into audible region, and
  • the earpieces would be pushed further away from eardrums, stretching the stage out side to side.
In practice, I canā€™t use the medium Cp145 tips in the box of U12t, but the medium W1 works nicely. By inserting a bit deeper, the ā€œTIA peakā€ is pushed higher into ā€œairā€ region rather than lingering around 12kHz and sounds like icepick sometimes.
What I can say for example in comparison to the AZLAs or Symbios (old/new W Peel on/off) is that the W1s have fewer peaks in the upper-mids register, but the soundstage/imaging is the highlight for me, so the first impression since a few days. I also have the feeling that the sound is more balanced. With the AZLAs, it sometimes bothers me that the mids are so forward. By moving them a little more into the background with the W1s, the presentation is more cohesive and I can hear overall a little more information and detail. It makes total sense to me that the W1s are stock tips with Anni because of the treble extension. And I would recommend all those who have Mentor to definitely try the W1, precisely because of the soundstage and imaging. The difference to the stock tips is quite notable.

Jan 20, 2024 at 3:16 AM Post #79,050 of 90,403
@Auricon Thank you for the clarification. With the w1 and the XE6 how well does it work with the kinetic bass? Wondering what the W1 would do for the RN6? I can see some tip rolling in my future.

W1s are available on Amazon.

Re: XE6ā€™s Kinetic Bass. Youā€™ll want to find the best insertion depth ā€“ normal or deep fit ā€“ for your ears get the open and ported in Kinetic Bass driver close to the ear to allow for low frequency sound to be transmitted directly to the ear cartilage and surrounding area. The low frequencies are converted to kinetic energy and reach the inner ear via bone conduction.

Bass is also ported through the nozzle and reach the ear drums via air conduction, where your eartip selection will have the most effect.

Many here will have storage boxes of various tips for rolling. I have a storage box filled with 24+ tips from various brands in different sizes.

Personally, various Azla (Xelastics, Crystals, SednaEarFit short/light/vivids), JVC (Spiral Dots++), SpinFit Omni have provided the best fit for my ears.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back