THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 21, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #691 of 1,513
jeepers bought hd800S blind 9 years ago, still hasn't relinquished 8 inches of desk space, but to each their own. hd800s saved me a ton

May 21, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #692 of 1,513
jeepers bought hd800S blind 9 years ago, still hasn't relinquished 8 inches of desk space, but to each their own. hd800s saved me a ton
I wonder if I had gone down the 'buy a nice tube amp' pathway I may have ended up with a different headphone chain than I eventually pursued. The "easy to drive all rounder". Found myself picking up the Utopia often enough I let the HD800S go.

Unfortunately it meant that it didn't save me a ton at all ... the HD800S still has a thread on the 'summit-fi' forum for good reason. It's almost like a "choose your own adventure" book. So many options. I might just go back and listen to the HD800S out of the Feliks Envy they have in the audio store.

May 21, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #693 of 1,513
No way one would ever go wrong blind buying an Atrium (Open with Caldera pads or Closed with Suede)
Plus, pads selection really lets you tune to your own taste! I ended up settling on the defaults; perforated Universe for the opens, and the Caldera for the closed. Of course, it also all depends on your set up. :L3000:

May 21, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #695 of 1,513
Nice thread! And finally finish reading all pages. Thank you @goldwerger for creating and also sharing it on the AC thread ( I also just learnt about the OG watercooler thread :dt880smile:)
My new AC is on the 5th day of continuous playing, the bass is just so addictive :gs1000smile:
Shanling EC mini cd player -> OG Lampizator Big7 -> Violectric v222 -> ZMF Atrium closed

Also want to share the power conditioner I'm using which is a local brand made for Hifi 2 channel setup.
From the advice I got from the Lampizator thread, the higher end models can really benefit from a power conditioner which in my case did a huge improvement - bigger and tighter bass, wider and deeper soundstage, more accurate timbre

Just over 7 months ago I was using Beyer dt1990 pro - ifi zen dac + can. Quite happy with this setup for 2 yrs

1716306553727.jpeg

1716306573215.jpeg

Listening to this album "From Darkness" from a jazz bassist Avishai Cohen

1716306534589.png

May 21, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #697 of 1,513
I heard both the Immanis and Aperio at Word of Headphones and IMHO the Aperio had better bass impact. At least within the context of the noisy surroundings and the equipment available there.
Just to throw another data point out, I heard the Aperio at the last CanJam SoCal, and have owned the Immanis for the last couple weeks. Based on my memory from hearing the Aperio last September, I'd say the Immanis has substantially better bass impact and extension. In fact, I'd put the Immanis at 1266 TC level there--and perhaps even better.

May 21, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #699 of 1,513
Sonos has finally anounced their rumoured headphone Ace. Wonder how it compares to Hifi headphones. Especially considering the use cases they have presented it for.
At the price point I’d expect it to compare to the Bose headsets. Reminds me a tad of the Apple Max also. Wireless ANC headsets are what they are. Keen to listen but would be surprised if sonically they surprised Bathys. Connectivity and TV use sounds promising though

May 21, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #700 of 1,513
Lucky! It was that blasted HD800S that first jump started my crazy obsession! I mean, I was into headphones before, but that cold rainy March 2016 that I stumbled upon it at my local shop hit a nerve. Made me see the light. Showed me what was possible. I’m not the same person I was!
But it’s still on my desk too :)

May 21, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #701 of 1,513
I am kinda surprised the silver one is not too far behind the S in price in the used market.
Better (proper Q bass) over the S, but in need of the treble mod - but older too. They say the new ones have better bass than the earlier S's - but I have not heard them myself.

May 21, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #702 of 1,513
Lucky! It was that blasted HD800S that first jump started my crazy obsession! I mean, I was into headphones before, but that cold rainy March 2016 that I stumbled upon it at my local shop hit a nerve. Made me see the light. Showed me what was possible. I’m not the same person I was!
But it’s still on my desk too :)
Same. For me it was the fall of 2012 and I bought the HD 800. Like you. I still have it. 😉
12 years-old….and counting.
The HD 800 is my longest serving piece of HIFI equipment. I don’t think I’ll ever sell it.

May 21, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #703 of 1,513
Let’s get real here- who eats burgers 🍔 while listening to headphones? I have worries about getting drippings on the cord. Does anyone else run into this?
Yes. I am a bit picky about headphones cleanliness.

May 21, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #704 of 1,513
Nice thread! And finally finish reading all pages. Thank you @goldwerger for creating and also sharing it on the AC thread ( I also just learnt about the OG watercooler thread :dt880smile:)
My new AC is on the 5th day of continuous playing, the bass is just so addictive :gs1000smile:
Shanling EC mini cd player -> OG Lampizator Big7 -> Violectric v222 -> ZMF Atrium closed

Also want to share the power conditioner I'm using which is a local brand made for Hifi 2 channel setup.
From the advice I got from the Lampizator thread, the higher end models can really benefit from a power conditioner which in my case did a huge improvement - bigger and tighter bass, wider and deeper soundstage, more accurate timbre

Just over 7 months ago I was using Beyer dt1990 pro - ifi zen dac + can. Quite happy with this setup for 2 yrs

1716306553727.jpeg

1716306573215.jpeg

Listening to this album "From Darkness" from a jazz bassist Avishai Cohen

1716306534589.png

Wow that lampizator DAC is huge!

May 21, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #705 of 1,513
Let’s get real here- who eats burgers 🍔 while listening to headphones? I have worries about getting drippings on the cord. Does anyone else run into this?

I definitely do! Did today. No drips, though, since the cable was tucked in my shirt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back