THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 20, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #646 of 1,433
I’m wondering what people’s opinions are on the DCA Stealth. I can possibly get it for a really good price and was previously a fan of the noire, it was just too bright. I listen to a lot of electronic music. Thanks!
The Stealth is better than the Noire. Certainly not as bright and doesn't have the timbral issues with bass (Noire can sound "rubbery" to me). However, I'm not a fan of the Stealth, or any DCA I've heard for that matter. And I've tried the Stealth 3 different times on different chains precisely to see if I could find a chain where I enjoyed it. The Stealth sounds dull to my ears. There's plenty of bass, but that bass doesn't have much impact, so it takes on this "droning" character because it's always present, but without kick or liveliness. Insufficient treble contributes to its dullness as well as a sense of constriction in its soundstage. The soundstage on the Stealth and other DCAs I've owned/heard sounds "smaller than it is", where if I focus on each instrument and its placement, it actually is pretty spacious, but taken as a whole, it just sounds constricted vs something like a Sony or Audio Technica closed-back which sound "larger than they are". And the dullness contributes a sense of deadened trailing ends to tones, which kills the air in the sound. It sounds like everything is played in a sound isolation booth and to me, that just sounds weird to me. I have spent a bit of time in sound isolation booths for fan noise testing, and to me things (voices, claps, etc.) sound strange when inside.

That said, if you like the Noire, then I see no reason why you shouldn't go for the Stealth. The Stealth does excel in a number of areas, and in every area that the Noire does well, the Stealth does them better.

May 20, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #647 of 1,433
As CanJam Shanghai is getting close (I wish I could attend... :tired_face:) I am starting to wonder what new headphones may get introduced / launched :thinking:
Some rumors have been circulating about a successor to Susvara :scream:
In the early days of Susvara, I could not understand the excitement and hype. That all changed when I heard it on a couple of VERY good amps. Probably the 2 best amps were (in no particular order): HiFiMAN EF1000 and Riviera AIC-10.
Both tube hybrid amps, very powerful, and made the Susvara sound amazing! After auditioning Susvara on those 2 amps (none of which I own, BTW) - made me want to add Susvara to my collection one day...

So, what do you guys think? Susvara successor is finally coming next month to make its debut in Shanghai CanJam?
Will it get its own new name, or something like: Susvara mk2 / Susvara Organic / Susvara Sr.?

May 20, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #648 of 1,433
As CanJam Shanghai is getting close (I wish I could attend... :tired_face:) I am starting to wonder what new headphones may get introduced / launched :thinking:
In the early days of Susvara, I could not understand the excitement and hype. That all changed when I heard it on a couple of VERY good amps. Probably the 2 best amps were (in no particular order): HiFiMAN EF1000 and Riviera AIC-10.
Both tube hybrid amps, very powerful, and made the Susvara sound amazing! After auditioning Susvara on those 2 amps (none of which I own, BTW) - made me want to add Susvara to my collection one day...

So, what do you guys think? Susvara successor is finally coming next month to make its debut in Shanghai CanJam?
Will it get its own new name, or something like: Susvara mk2 / Susvara Organic / Susvara Sr.?
I hope it's not super efficient like HE1000SE, otherwise my recent purchase of a WA33 may be unnecessary 🤣 . Ideally Susvara 2 will have the same scaling abilities as the current Susvara.

Then again, if Hifiman keeps the current Susvara around eg Susvara Classic as a discounted price, that would be great as well.

May 20, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #649 of 1,433

What if we got tricked and it's actually HE1000 Organic?

I think it's a given that if someone owns an AIC-10 and uses them primarily as a headphone amp, they both have the TC or Susvara in their collection 100% of the time

May 20, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #650 of 1,433
That said, if you like the Noire, then I see no reason why you shouldn't go for the Stealth. The Stealth does excel in a number of areas, and in every area that the Noire does well, the Stealth does them better.
As a former Noire owner (who upgraded to the E3 at its release), I actually prefer the Noire's bass to Stealth's. I do agree that in all other areas of the frequency response, the Stealth is superior, but I still found the Noire a more fun and involving headphone overall. The E3 is the sweet spot in the DCA closed-back range for me, and my favorite headphone that DCA has yet produced, regardless of cost. The only caveat is a bit of excess energy in the E3's upper midrange that might be problematic for some people on some tracks. I never found the stock Noire too bright, but for people who did, the Stealth might be the best upgrade.

May 20, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #651 of 1,433
I’d be more excited about a senn new flagship, but my woo ready willing and able

May 20, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #652 of 1,433
Susvara Classic as a discounted price, that would be great as well.
Oh wow imagine the possibilities.

HEK dropped from 3 to 2k. What if Susvara drops from 6k to 4k?!

If that were to happen I might get one for nostalgia reasons 😅

May 20, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #653 of 1,433
Definitely need to wear a name tag for sure! Those personalized wooden ones I keep seeing in the OG WC thread are fantastic!
Oh this is a great idea. I've never thought of a name tag with headfi name haha. I'm in SoCal and my dad usually flies in from the east coast and we go together. I've probably talked to some of you IRL and not known it. I'm gonna work on my name tag for SoCal CanJam.

May 20, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #654 of 1,433
Oh wow imagine the possibilities.

HEK dropped from 3 to 2k. What if Susvara drops from 6k to 4k?!

If that were to happen I might get one for nostalgia reasons 😅
On somewhat frequent sales, HiFiMAN discounts Susvara by as much as 25% for open box (with full warranty). So, you could already buy Susvara for $4,500...
Maybe the introduction of a new flagship would permanently drop Susvara to $3-4k price?

I am definitely NOT a Susvara expert by any means, so I have the following question to the Susvara fans and experts here:
What can HiFiMAN improve upon the Susvara? What would YOU want to improve, making Susvara even better?

May 20, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #655 of 1,433
On somewhat frequent sales, HiFiMAN discounts Susvara by as much as 25% for open box (with full warranty). So, you could already buy Susvara for $4,500...
Maybe the introduction of a new flagship would permanently drop Susvara to $3-4k price?

I am definitely NOT a Susvara expert by any means, so I have the following question to the Susvara fans and experts here:
What can HiFiMAN improve upon the Susvara? What would YOU want to improve, making Susvara even better?
Yeah but an official price drop would drop used prices to levels of actual 4k headphones.

Meaning you could pick up a used Susvara for 2-2.5k!

Personally I think Susvara could be improved in the Bass Region to catch up to Solitaire P.

Or in general something like the Ayra organic is to the Arya. I'd be interested in a Susvara organic

May 20, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #656 of 1,433

I would like the Susvara 2 to bring more of the Shang SR performance, particularly in the mids. I liked the Rhapsodio Supreme MK3 mids a lot, would like to see Susvara 2 move in that direction for the mid layering performance.

May 20, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #657 of 1,433
This weekend has been all work against an unexpeted deadline. It's Sunday late night (or rather early Monday morning) with no end in sight. Music, and the occasional sneak peek into this thread, keep me entertained and in good mood as I muscle through it. Late nigh listening is a good time for a relaxed listen, for which the Elite are great. When I first bought these heapdhones, I lacked any engagement and sold them after a few days. A year or so later, the angled alcantara pads came out, and when I first demo-ed them with these newer pads at a CanJam, they transformed, becoming more open and expansive. I did a u-turn and go them again. These are not the most technical headphones, but with a real "oomph" behind them, they can be a lot of fun for a wonderful lean back listen.. exactly what I need right now :)

Currently chilling with Elite and a glass of remy martin here. Definitely a superb headphone for pure enjoyment, liquid smooth with "addictive" sweet presentation.

This will be my very first time attend Canjam outside Singapore. Hopefully they truly release the Susvara successor there!

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #659 of 1,433
The Stealth is better than the Noire. Certainly not as bright and doesn't have the timbral issues with bass (Noire can sound "rubbery" to me). However, I'm not a fan of the Stealth, or any DCA I've heard for that matter. And I've tried the Stealth 3 different times on different chains precisely to see if I could find a chain where I enjoyed it. The Stealth sounds dull to my ears. There's plenty of bass, but that bass doesn't have much impact, so it takes on this "droning" character because it's always present, but without kick or liveliness. Insufficient treble contributes to its dullness as well as a sense of constriction in its soundstage. The soundstage on the Stealth and other DCAs I've owned/heard sounds "smaller than it is", where if I focus on each instrument and its placement, it actually is pretty spacious, but taken as a whole, it just sounds constricted vs something like a Sony or Audio Technica closed-back which sound "larger than they are". And the dullness contributes a sense of deadened trailing ends to tones, which kills the air in the sound. It sounds like everything is played in a sound isolation booth and to me, that just sounds weird to me. I have spent a bit of time in sound isolation booths for fan noise testing, and to me things (voices, claps, etc.) sound strange when inside.

Without having heard the Noire, I'd generally concur on this assessment of the Stealth. It's remarkably resolving. That, plus the fact that it's a closed back and folds up, makes it a great HP to take to CanJam to test out amps and DACs, etc. It makes a great travel HP with a decent portable source and amp to drive it, too (though it's even passable with an iFi Go Blu for me). But it's less engaging than my other HPs.

May 20, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #660 of 1,433
This will be my very first time attend Canjam outside Singapore.

Pls share your show impressions once you’re there so we can live it vicariously through experiences.. 😉🙏

Users who are viewing this thread

Back