THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 16, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #466 of 1,057
Do you know if this is in general for Sus Jim or particular to AIC-10? I'll have Sus on demo soon and may get a cable made prior for some experimenting!
It is a common setup for Susvara owners, for eg folks will use Sus via speaker taps w/ AHB2 speaker amplifier.

May 16, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #467 of 1,057
It is a common setup for Susvara owners, for eg folks will use Sus via speaker taps w/ AHB2 speaker amplifier.

I hope to check out the AHB2 as a headphone amp one of these years. I don't have a Sus, but I want to try it anyway.

May 16, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #468 of 1,057
Is that due to lack of HP amps at the time able to drive them sufficiently? (Zeos 465 comes to mind)

May 16, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #469 of 1,057
Is that due to lack of HP amps at the time able to drive them sufficiently? (Zeos 465 comes to mind)
Yes, but I'm not sure what Zeos 465 is. The speaker taps are designed to deliver full power to speakers, so I imagine the circuitry difference between the headphone stage and the speaker output is responsible for the audible difference.

May 16, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #470 of 1,057
Do you know if this is in general for Sus Jim or particular to AIC-10? I'll have Sus on demo soon and may get a cable made prior for some experimenting!
First time I have ever tried a speaker tap for driving headphones. So, I do not know. I do know that I am getting a significant boost in SQ and resolution and I love it.

May 16, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #471 of 1,057
I hope to check out the AHB2 as a headphone amp one of these years. I don't have a Sus, but I want to try it anyway.
This is the first amp I wanted to buy for this purpose. But, I could never get a proper demo.

May 16, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #472 of 1,057
Yes, but I'm not sure what Zeos 465 is. The speaker taps are designed to deliver full power to speakers, so I imagine the circuitry difference between the headphone stage and the speaker output is responsible for the audible difference.
That's when the YT guy Zeos got Mass Kobo 465 in for review and pushed the hype for 465.

Good food for thought, might ask Feliks how / if they differ in Envy.
First time I have ever tried a speaker tap for driving headphones. So, I do not know. I do know that I am getting a significant boost in SQ and resolution and I love it.
Ears don't lie! I'll look into this. 👌

May 16, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #473 of 1,057
This is the first amp I wanted to buy for this purpose. But, I could never get a proper demo.

A friend gave me a 300B power amp a few years back (with EML 300B tubes!) that I use with a speaker adapter for headphones. It works great. I have an old Golden Tube Audio preamp/power amp set that I'm also going to try deploying in a similar manner when I can find a good place to set it up.

May 16, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #474 of 1,057
Abyss 1266 TC is just purchased! Now, the waiting game begins. The perilous journey of refreshing the tracking page 50 times per day :laughing:

Pleasantly surprised that @MusicTeck is an Abyss dealer, always happy to give him the business.

May 16, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #475 of 1,057

Yes definitely. A few years ago, there were very few amps in this power zip code that were made as dedicated headphone amps.

Consider the AIC10 is actually made to drive both headphones and speakers (it drives my rather inefficient B&W 805 D3 pretty well), so the power under the hood of this amp is pretty significant (it’s published specs are 10W class A, but it actually has an AB that kicks in above that for around 20-30W depending who you ask; Riviera is one of the rare brands that under reports its specs rather than inflate them). That type of power output wasn’t readily available in headphone amps 3-4 years ago.

That said, to this day, one can use speaker amps (as long as you have quality volume control).

Abyss 1266 TC is just purchased! Now, the waiting game begins. The perilous journey of refreshing the tracking page 50 times per day :laughing:

Pleasantly surprised that @MusicTeck is an Abyss dealer, always happy to give him the business.

You’re definitely a go-big-or-go-home kinda guy… love it! :ksc75smile:

Congrats buddy!!

May 16, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #476 of 1,057
May 16, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #477 of 1,057
A late night listening session with the Caldera Closed and Aegis amp. A wonderful way to unwind...

1715830503672.png

Ray Charles and Natalie Cole's raspy and smooth voices, respectively, are rendered beautifully. These headaphones love mids. A touch of damping makes the crisp percussive notes linger in the air just enough for a sweet roundness, with a subtle reverb that lends a sense of spaciousness.

This is as soothing as a wind down can be 🙏

1715830743115.png
I love this album I have it on CD my favorite track is with Willie Nelson.

May 16, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #478 of 1,057
May 16, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #479 of 1,057
:sparkles: Rediscovering Headphones and Desktop Audio:sparkles:

1715880907717.png

Alright folks! It's official, the WA33 Standard Edition (stock tubes) is on its way to me. Wow, very excited and thank you @timeslip for making this happen. My portable audio journey is now suspended and I can't wait to experience the desktop headfi world once again, it's been 3 years and much has occurred in this space. My current HP collection consists of MDR Z7, MDR Z7MK2, MDR Z1R, PhilPhone. I use these headphones with my treasure, the DMP Z1. I've owned Susvara before with Bakoon AMP 13R.

As I begin my headphone journey again, I polled some excellent headfi communities and groups I'm a part of. Various suggestions were given from the venerable Utopia 2022, Abyss 1266 TC, Susvara and even the Valkyria. After much thought, I've picked the first headphone to go with the WA33 Standard, the Abyss 1266 TC. Thanks @HiFiHawaii808 for the nudge in this direction. @GoldenSound WA33 YouTube review clinched it as he spoke of the complementary nature of both gears. I've never tried the 1266 before, but I loved the Diana TC from my 10 minute demo at CanJam. However, as I browsed the 1266 HeadFi thread, there are some rumblings of the 1266 successor being launched in time for CanJam Shanghai. I quickly emailed Abyss regarding my concern of purchasing a 1266 for it to only be outdated a few weeks later. After all, Abyss gear is not cheap! Take this with a mine full of salt, as I'm sure the Abyss Team have the printed definition of 'Osborne Effect' taped to their desks.

"We currently have no plans to update the AB1266. We will be bringing AB1266 ear pad production in-house with added options on materials."- ABYSS TEAM

Given this information, I will likely move forward with the 1266 TC purchase soon. Now, the question remains. After my headphone is delivered, my hobby fund will be mostly depleted. Even so, I am curious on the future direction of upgrades. Which one of these paths should I look for next? Any advice is appreciated!

• Upgrade Tubes (from stock)
  • Upgrade HP Cable (from stock)
  • Upgrade DAC (current is Hugo 2)
  • Buy another HP (eg Utopia 2022)
Congrats and welcome back to HP world!

You should upgrade the DAC first and If you find that 1266 TC is lacking in midrange (recessed), then I’d suggest you try Accurate Sound convolution filter (assuming you use a computer or a server that can run convolution filters). It’s a $225 purchase but it does have a free trial period, and definitely much cheaper than getting a Superconductor cable to improve the midrange. Then you can upgrade the tubes and later on get a second HP.

May 16, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #480 of 1,057
They should make the Aegis modular so I can carry up parts of it and reassemble them upstairs. 60 lbs isn’t easy to carry up 2 flight of stairs.

I know this is a deep pull from earlier in the thread, but I just got here, so.....

Anyway, I just measured my pre-production ZMF Aegis and the weight came out at 46 lbs. It doesn't have stock tubes in it, but if anything, the NOS tubes in there I have add a very slight amount of weight.

I am sure that nobody wants to run sprints carrying it, and it is a beefy amp, but 46 lbs is slightly easier to carry than 60 lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back