THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 11, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #16 of 749
@goldwerger Goldy!!!! Nice initiative mate.

Definitely will jump in here and follow it. I have been on a headphone wave again lately. :wink:

My current simple setup.

IMG_0940.jpeg

May 11, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #17 of 749
Indeed they do ❤️

And when it comes to wooded heapdhones.. one must mention ZMF as the ultimate brand for handmade wood craftsmanship

I gotta shout out JM for my current primary headphones that are wood.

1000016861.jpg

1000016866.jpg

May 11, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #18 of 749
I have my desktop set up in my office which isn't my primary (just a laptop to Fiio K11) but my primary set up is what I call my humble audio corner. Turntable, WiiM mounted on the back, everything mounted in the cubby with everything hooked up to my Archel 3 Pro.

1000032238.jpg

May 11, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #19 of 749
This weekend I am getting to know two new headphones, one new, one vintage, and revisiting a recent purchase.

ZMF Caldera Closed

I recently received a demo unit from @zach915m of the ZMF Caldera Closed headphones (released yesterday). It's been a couple of months since I had them for an evening, right before CanJam NYC, and I’m really enjoying getting to know them again with a fresh perspective.

I have so far listened to them with the protein pads using the Riviera AIC10 amp, which really opens up the soundstage significantly. These headphones scale!

The few things that quickly jumped at me on first listen:
  1. A very smooth tuning that sounds effortless.
  2. A great sense of space. A holographic presentation that feels spacious and natural (a massive coup for a closed planar). I really love that!
  3. The balance between attack and decay is just right for me - snappy on the front, but with a nice decay on the trailing ends of notes. It just feels organic and analog in a way that planars normally do not. Like the feel of a high-end receiver from the 70s with ton of power and warmth.
  4. Tonality wise, a good low extension with a well-defined sub-bass, mid bass is crisp, mids are warm - with lower mids (male vocals) forward and higher mids (female vocals) recessed - and treble is gently rolled off [in comparison, the AC have more elevation in the lower bass and more forward upper mids, whereas the CC feel a bit more even; these two headphones are quite distinct]
I enjoy warm tuning and like a great bass, but I also like treble extension (my only deal breaker is any hint of sibilance, but above that I am not treble sensitive), so I will likely try the alternate mesh at some point (waiting to get it).

I also have a couple alternate pads to try, the stock hybrid and deep lamb pad, and a few amps that I want to pair the CC with. I expect it will take a few weeks to find the ideal tuning for me, but I’m really excited to get to know these headphones. So far, they are a lot of fun right out to the gate!

Hifiman HE6

I got a package in the mail today from Hong Kong with a set of Hifiman HE6 (OG 6 screws). I have been curious about these vintage headphones, an itch I had to scratch. I’m only a few hours into my first listening session, but so far I have discovered two things:
  1. These headphones are very amp picky. Not just in terms of power, but in synergy. I was surprised to find how much their tuning changed with different chains used. With the AIC10, I have found their presentation to be dark, while with the Decware/ZMF OTL preamp into the Decware Taboo amp (old SE84TS+ version), their presentation opens up and is decidedly brighter.
  2. Sub-bass is rolled off in comparison to current top planar performers, including Hifiman’s own HE6 successor, the Susvara. I put on order in this afternoon for ZMF’s Hifiman+ subs hybrid pads, which should elevate the sub-bass (thanks @buke9 for the advice).
Beyond new discoveries, I’m also sneaking in some time this evening, as I write these notes, with a recent purchase.

Autio-Technica ATH-AWKG

Made from Kurogaki (black persimmon) wood, these beautiful headphones were launched at CanJam NYC. I have a personal story related to the included ZMF pads (detail in my CanJam NYC 2024 writeup) so I have a bit of an irrational emotional connection 🤷‍♂️

The AWKG have a great synergy with the Auris Nirvana amp. I’m so happy I got this older Nirvana version when it was still sold. Each time I move my hand above its smooth wood and leather finish to adjust the volume, I enjoy a sense of tactility and its design. I’m not a fan of the new black metal finish. But I digress. This amp really works very well with AT headphones. Every time I think of letting it go to make space for a new amp adventure, I fold on this account. The Nirvana has a crisp and tight presentation, a grabby, punchy bass with fast attack and a clear center image. The AWKG with the ZMF Universe Hybrid pads offer a very warm and mid-bass centric presentation; the Nirvana’s incisiveness works great with them.

As an aside, the AWKG’s passive seal is awesome. I can’t hear my wife’s TV nearby, and she can’t here my music. Happy wife, happy audio life… 😉

Last, but not least, my music discovery of the weekend is Vanny Vabiola, an Indonesian female singer with a voice as clear as crystal water:

Have a great weekend everyone! And welcome to the thread!!
Great starting article for this thread. I have a HE6SE V2 and I heard HE6 OG 6 screws has much powerful bass, a little surprise to hear your impression.

May 11, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #20 of 749
I have my desktop set up in my office which isn't my primary (just a laptop to Fiio K11) but my primary set up is what I call my humble audio corner. Turntable, WiiM mounted on the back, everything mounted in the cubby with everything hooked up to my Archel 3 Pro.

1000032238.jpg

love the viniyl setup!

May 11, 2024 at 10:40 PM Post #21 of 749
Great starting article for this thread. I have a HE6SE V2 and I heard HE6 OG 6 screws has much powerful bass, a little surprise to hear your impression.

I used to have the seV2, really loved them. I recall how they scaled with amplification, so much more than most folks realized.

The HE6 OG is few hours in.. so my impressions may change quite a bit. But I've realized it's mostly sub-bass (mid bass is very present) and in comparison to the Susvara.

I'm curious to see how pad rolling will impact it. Also, want to do some tube rolling - thinking especially on KT88 with the Aegis. Perhaps tomorrow... :)

May 11, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #22 of 749
When I had my pair I speaker tapped a 115 wpc vintage receiver.
I've still yet to hear another headphone slam with that much malicious intent.

May 11, 2024 at 10:44 PM Post #23 of 749
Welcome!

I’ve been inspired by @Rockwell75 ’s wonderful portable audio community thread, The Watercooler, and wanted to offer a similar platform for the many community members interested in overhead Headphones, Amps, DACs, and related gears.

All topics are welcome!
Impressions, banter, music; new product releases and vintage gear; dynamic, planar, and electrostatic systems; power, interconnect, and headphone cables; music discovery and recommendations; tube rolling, industry news, or whatever floats your boat.. please share your experiences.

My goal is to bring fellow headphone enthusiasts in this thread to share our audio discoveries and experiences and spread joy. I have made many friends in this wonderful community and hope to make news ones here. I hope you will too. This thread is for you.

No judgments.
Everyone’s opinion is valued. Whether you pursue TOTL or budget headphones, like to invest in custom cables or buy generic ones on Amazon, prefer dynamic, planar, or electrostatic systems, believe in burn in or not, prefer tubes or solid date, R2R or Delta Sigma, open or closed back, new or vintage… share your experiences and respect others’. Enjoy!
thanks for starting this thread!

May 11, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #24 of 749
Just sharing what I am listening this morning: ZMF Caldera/ET Inferno off the SAEQ Hyperion Ge/Holo Spring 3 KTE, streaming Apple Music via Airplay. :)

IMG_4587.jpeg

May 11, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #25 of 749
May 11, 2024 at 10:53 PM Post #26 of 749
Welcome!

I’ve been inspired by @Rockwell75 ’s wonderful portable audio community thread, The Watercooler, and wanted to offer a similar platform for the many community members interested in overhead Headphones, Amps, DACs, and related gears.

All topics are welcome!
Impressions, banter, music; new product releases and vintage gear; dynamic, planar, and electrostatic systems; power, interconnect, and headphone cables; music discovery and recommendations; tube rolling, industry news, or whatever floats your boat.. please share your experiences.

My goal is to bring fellow headphone enthusiasts in this thread to share our audio discoveries and experiences and spread joy. I have made many friends in this wonderful community and hope to make news ones here. I hope you will too. This thread is for you.

No judgments.
Everyone’s opinion is valued. Whether you pursue TOTL or budget headphones, like to invest in custom cables or buy generic ones on Amazon, prefer dynamic, planar, or electrostatic systems, believe in burn in or not, prefer tubes or solid date, R2R or Delta Sigma, open or closed back, new or vintage… share your experiences and respect others’. Enjoy!
I.

AM.

SO.

IN!

May 11, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #27 of 749
Thrilled that you created this thread. It is welcome and long overdue.

I have been spending part of this weekend with the Mass-Kobo 465 connected to both my Sus and Empyrean to see what it can do for the Empy. I am happy to report it is actually able to open up the Empy a bit in the mids and treble while tightening up its already strong bass response.

IMG_5958.jpegIMG_6013.jpegIMG_6014.jpeg
What a gorgeous piece of gear.

Can’t say I’ll ever have the funds to use on a Mass Kobo amp, but I will live vicariously through others and enjoy the photos. 😊

May 11, 2024 at 10:58 PM Post #28 of 749
Thrilled that you created this thread. It is welcome and long overdue.

I have been spending part of this weekend with the Mass-Kobo 465 connected to both my Sus and Empyrean to see what it can do for the Empy. I am happy to report it is actually able to open up the Empy a bit in the mids and treble while tightening up its already strong bass response.

IMG_5958.jpegIMG_6013.jpegIMG_6014.jpeg
Ooh.. gorgeous!

May 11, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #29 of 749
Tonight’s setup, recently had the chance to buy this Cayin for cheap brand new. Had my doubts as I did not know if it was going to be good or not but really impressed so far, real nice pairing with the Diana.

12378313.jpeg

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 11:03 PM Post #30 of 749
The Aegis is a really great amp. I have the DIY version (I'm actually lucky to have the amp designer @L0rdGwyn 's first built unit) and it's so great to see it now available as a commercial build. It's unique in its refine presentation and how it presents soundstage with extarodinary scale.

As an aside, realizing you were joking, there is something that correlates TC tube amps build quality and weight. Sounds silly, but really great transformers and power sections usually means some heft.. 🤷‍♂️🤪
They should make the Aegis modular so I can carry up parts of it and reassemble them upstairs. 60 lbs isn’t easy to carry up 2 flight of stairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back