THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 12, 2024 at 2:00 AM Post #76 of 740
May 12, 2024 at 2:01 AM Post #77 of 740
interesting question but I think synergy does come into play here too as well as which tube variant is being used. My RS8 in NOS into Auris HA2SF (with Prima Luna 12AU7) amp is really nice, but I prefer D16 (1bit dac) into Tsuranagi vs the Auris.

I forgot about the headphones too. With Hifiman headphone sound signature, I prefer the NOS presentation with SET amps as the OS does sound more "mechanical" unless the OS is DSD oversampling which I generally find more musical sounding than PCM oversampling

May 12, 2024 at 2:05 AM Post #78 of 740
May 12, 2024 at 2:06 AM Post #79 of 740
I forgot about the headphones too. With Hifiman headphone sound signature, I prefer the NOS presentation with SET amps as the OS does sound more "mechanical" unless the OS is DSD oversampling which I generally find more musical sounding than PCM oversampling
I agree, I think HifiMan's benefit from the slight treble roll off that NOS and Tubes usually give.

May 12, 2024 at 2:14 AM Post #81 of 740
May 12, 2024 at 2:22 AM Post #82 of 740
@Frankie D has the Bliss and sings its praises. Frankie, perhaps you can share some advice?
Wow, this thread has really taken off!

Hi @DenverW . I have the HoloAudio Stack (May and Bliss KTE ) and the Mass-Kobo 465. The Bliss is an extremely underrated HP amp. It trades blows with the 465 and is a perfect amp for the Susvara as well as the Atrium Closed. It will provide the Susvara with powerful bass, tight mids and realistic treble. Its sound signature is that of a neutral amp with a very slight touch of warmth. Highly recommended, especially for the Susvara and at its price of $3400.00.

It is also a very quiet amplifier. So if you ever deal with IEMs at your desktop, you will have one of the best IEM amps available at any price ( use either the 4.4 mm adapter or use an xlr to 4.4 mm adapter ). Hope this description was helpful.

May 12, 2024 at 2:25 AM Post #83 of 740
Wow, this thread has really taken off!

Hi @DenverW . I have the HoloAudio Stack (May and Bliss KTE ) and the Mass-Kobo 465. The Bliss is an extremely underrated HP amp. It trades blows with the 465 and is a perfect amp for the Susvara as well as the Atrium Closed. It will provide the Susvara with powerful bass, tight mids and realistic treble. Its sound signature is that of a neutral amp with a very slight touch of warmth. Highly recommended, especially for the Susvara and at its price of $3400.00.

It is also a very quiet amplifier. So if you ever deal with IEMs at your desktop, you will have one of the best IEM amps available at any price ( use either the 4.4 mm adapter or use an xlr to 4.4 mm adapter ). Hope this description was helpful.

Do you use the May on NOS or with HQPlayer to DSD512 with the Bliss + Susvara setup?

May 12, 2024 at 2:46 AM Post #84 of 740
Do you use the May on NOS or with HQPlayer to DSD512 with the Bliss + Susvara setup?
NOS. I have not tried out HQPlayer yet. In the future at some point and with a new laptop

I have also fed it hidef straight from my iPhone using KaiserTone to feed it recordings from my hidef library. Mostly all flac. One DSD.

May 12, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #85 of 740
Congrats, @goldwerger, on a great launch to an obviously overdue thread!

When it gets to 1000 pages, I'll be ready to buy some headphones and an amp!

May 12, 2024 at 3:50 AM Post #87 of 740
When it gets to 1000 pages, I'll be ready to buy some headphones and an amp!
I don’t know about everyone else, but that sounds a bit like a challenge…

ACCEPTED!

May 12, 2024 at 3:59 AM Post #89 of 740
Congrats on the wonderful thread, Eyal!!! 🥰

Unfortunately I can't wear over-ears so I won't be a regular visitor, but I will certainly have a quick look every now and then. Have fun guys!

drftr
What about these:
Sennheiser NP 02-140A/NP 02-100
Koss KSC-35/KSC-75
Panasonic RP-HZ47-S
Miiego AL3+Freedom
Human Headphones
Yanko Design Iris

No premium models, I would think the Koss and Sennheiser might be worth a try. Some sketchy options as well... Might be a fun diversion? 😬

Users who are viewing this thread

Back