THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 12, 2024 at 12:56 AM Post #61 of 741
When your Caldera doesn't resolve to Susvara levels but Susvara doens't resolve to your Shang Sr. levels...what do you keep. Keeping two
Music is more than just how resolving the sound is. Does any of the three excite you when listening to a new song? Which ones do you use when a new album or track comes out?

May 12, 2024 at 1:00 AM Post #62 of 741
So basically, nothing in my current inventory is safe, and there is nothing like talking out a decision with an awesome group of people like the watercoolers :). I'm looking forward to it.

When you’re ready, give us your goals and budget. I think a lot of people here will be eager to help you spend it :)

Seriously though, so much fun building a fresh new system from scratch. You’ll have your lessons from prior experience and optimize to that. Looking forward to learning what you’re thinking about!

here is some headphone pron that I've posted of my current headphones

Black & white ebony… you know I have a soft spot for those.. just, gorgeous!

May 12, 2024 at 1:00 AM Post #63 of 741
Anyone finding tube amps generally pair better with NOS DACs (no HQPlayer or any other external oversampling software)?

May 12, 2024 at 1:01 AM Post #64 of 741
I'd be super interested in your impressions who they compare. I have the Aegis as well as you know. The Luna has always captivated me every time I demo-ed it. One of the most beautiful builds, but also makes everything sound good good, liquid smooth and rich (that's the spot in my rack the Nirvana occupies and my aforementioned struggle as I need to keep for my L5000 and AWKG). One day.. The Envy alwasy sounded good but never moved me. What you describe is really interesting and an indication this amp is much likely to be so much better than I thought, revealing a new weak link in the chain in the source. Would be so interesting to see how you compare them.
I'm happy to be a part of this community 🙂
I've spent a lot of time listening to all three amplifiers, but also happened to get in the Zenith and the May at the same time as the Aegis (and Caldera Closed), so I've been intentionally giving myself time to digest the sound and affect of each before I put a review out. But I'm looking forward to sharing, very much so, for conversations like this! The shift with Envy has been unexpected but so enjoyable to listen to. It reminds me of when I first heard Susvara or first got Caldera at home (still my favorite and sounds phenomenal on this amp now in the ways I've heard others describe, but hadn't been there for me yet). It's another moment of revelation that I think we're all chasing...

May 12, 2024 at 1:02 AM Post #65 of 741
So, today, sitting at my son's baseball game I started musing on making some major changes to my headphone or amp inventory. This thread couldn't have been more timely for me, thank you for making it!

I recently made some moves to the location of my system, so I'm not longer bound by needing longer cables. Headphones like the bravura (with a max cable length of 6 feet or so) are no longer unworkable for me. There have also been some amps in the classified section that are just creeping down into the end game but still doable range. So basically, nothing in my current inventory is safe, and there is nothing like talking out a decision with an awesome group of people like the watercoolers :). I'm looking forward to it.

In the meantime, here is some headphone pron that I've posted of my current headphones in different threads. Lots of ZMF, but who doesn't like a sexy wood cup?

I'll buy your Aegis Trireme Special Edition version if you're gonna sell it :wink:

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 1:02 AM Post #66 of 741
Great idea! And only 5 pages of catch up! 😅

May 12, 2024 at 1:18 AM Post #67 of 741
When you’re ready, give us your goals and budget. I think a lot of people here will be eager to help you spend it :)

Seriously though, so much fun building a fresh new system from scratch. You’ll have your lessons from prior experience and optimize to that. Looking forward to learning what you’re thinking about!

Black & white ebony… you know I have a soft spot for those.. just, gorgeous!
I think listening to Rage Against the Machine on the Atrium closed right now must be making me reckless and wild. Here are some of the thoughts I was batting around today...(Yes, I said 'batting' because I was at a baseball game. Dad jokes.)

Currently all three of my over ear headphones are ZMF. Really shows my love for the company. However, I could consider variety. Trading the Caldera for a bravura system? A susvara? You're one of the people who've heard both the caldera and susvara from the aegis. I'm not necessarily looking for 'better,' but just as good in a different way.

Speaking of the Aegis, I've been considering adding a solid state amp to my collection for a while. I'd been looking at mid/high end gear like a holo bliss or mass kobo 394ii. However, today in the classifieds there was a nautilus for 6k, cheapest I've ever seen that amp. I didn't get it, and it's gone, but it got me thinking how well it would sound in the chain. I've had a bigger ben in the past, and the Aegis stands toe to toe with it (if not beating it), but he nautilus is pretty impressive.

I'm not flush with disposable income, so I'd most likely let some gear go to offset additional cost, but I can swing some things. Or I could be perfectly content with where I'm at and wait for next canjam socal for more demos :). Libras can't make decisions..lol!

May 12, 2024 at 1:31 AM Post #68 of 741
I think listening to Rage Against the Machine on the Atrium closed right now must be making me reckless and wild. Here are some of the thoughts I was batting around today...(Yes, I said 'batting' because I was at a baseball game. Dad jokes.)

Currently all three of my over ear headphones are ZMF. Really shows my love for the company. However, I could consider variety. Trading the Caldera for a bravura system? A susvara? You're one of the people who've heard both the caldera and susvara from the aegis. I'm not necessarily looking for 'better,' but just as good in a different way.

Speaking of the Aegis, I've been considering adding a solid state amp to my collection for a while. I'd been looking at mid/high end gear like a holo bliss or mass kobo 394ii. However, today in the classifieds there was a nautilus for 6k, cheapest I've ever seen that amp. I didn't get it, and it's gone, but it got me thinking how well it would sound in the chain. I've had a bigger ben in the past, and the Aegis stands toe to toe with it (if not beating it), but he nautilus is pretty impressive.

I'm not flush with disposable income, so I'd most likely let some gear go to offset additional cost, but I can swing some things. Or I could be perfectly content with where I'm at and wait for next canjam socal for more demos :). Libras can't make decisions..lol!

That's a track to put on the AC alright. I'm sure it's shaking you to your core... :)

Great question. If you were to trade on of these two ZMFs for Susvara, then yes I'd let the Caldera go and keep the AC, as you'll end up with two very complementary headphones that are really quite far in their presentation. The Susvara, well amplified, still remains for me the 🐐. It can scale so much further than one would imagine. On the AIC10 it just reached incredible heights for me. That said, the Aegis can get you 95% there and you may never seek to go further. The Aegis will fully present the differences between these headphones. You would trade off the Caldera's warmth and texture with the Susvara's speed and effortlessness. But the AC will give you that ZMF houesound. It's an interestnig idea.

@Frankie D has the Bliss and sings its praises. Frankie, perhaps you can share some advice?

yea, I saw that Nautilus. At CanJam Chicago, @HiFiHawaii808 and I spent about two hours at Mimic Audio's desk with the Nautilus and had the best time of our lives listening to it with the Susvara, DK8 Ltd, Tungsten (then prototype), and other headphones. It was supber. Everytime I listen to Justin's amps it's special. The Red October is another bucket list amp. Only downside of those to consider is that they are BIG (not just in weight, but in footprint). For me, it would mean giving up 3 amps to make space for one of those. Unlikely. But those are incredible one-and-one options.

May 12, 2024 at 1:36 AM Post #69 of 741
Sennheiser HE-1 is somewhere in between Caldera and Susvara in the tonality and even soundstage area if one is considering it. It's an incredibly musical headphone first but with effortlessness presentation

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 1:37 AM Post #70 of 741
Libras can't make decisions..lol!
Ohhhh boy is this true! 🤣🤣🤣 Didn’t realize that Nautilus sold. Everybody saw that price and was immediately figuring out what gear to sell to afford it lol

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 1:49 AM Post #71 of 741
I thought the OG watercooler also talk about headphones?? Anyway congratulation for the new thread i think this is a fresh air in head fi for headphone user.

I wonder does anyone know how long it takes to make ZMF headphones? I have been waiting more than 2 months for my Atrium .

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #72 of 741
Ohhhh boy is this true! 🤣🤣🤣 Didn’t realize that Nautilus sold. Everybody saw that price and was immediately figuring out what gear to sell to afford it lol
Oddly enough, I’ve seen at least one other Nautilus second hand for sale… and not too much more expensive than the one that sold.

May 12, 2024 at 1:57 AM Post #73 of 741
I thought the OG watercooler also talk about headphones?? Anyway does anyone know how long it takes to make ZMF headphones? I have been waiting more than 2 months for my Atrium .
Nothing much in this hobby is mutually exclusive (as @Zachik ‘s post above using headphones and DAP shows), and many of us enjoy both headphones and IEMs. The wonderful OG Watercooler thread (where I also participate) is mostly focused on portable audio, and this thread is mostly focused on stationary (desktop/home) audio. So it’s mostly about the context/relevance of the participants of the respective threads, but anything goes.. thanks for joining us!

If you shoot @zach915m a message or email ZMF support, you’ll likely get a quick answer. They are very responsive in my experience.

May 12, 2024 at 1:57 AM Post #74 of 741
Anyone finding tube amps generally pair better with NOS DACs (no HQPlayer or any other external oversampling software)?
interesting question but I think synergy does come into play here too as well as which tube variant is being used. My RS8 in NOS into Auris HA2SF (with Prima Luna 12AU7) amp is really nice, but I prefer D16 (1bit dac) into Tsuranagi vs the Auris.

May 12, 2024 at 1:58 AM Post #75 of 741
Those selling the Nautilus are just funding for that upcoming Red October XL I suspect

Users who are viewing this thread

Back