The Vintage AKG Headphones appreciation thread
Feb 13, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #31 of 177
20221203_180042.jpg

Luxman R-113
I actually keep a backup. It drive's my High impedance Headphones without any trouble. Plenty of headroom to spare. 😁

Feb 13, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #32 of 177
Congratulations! the Luxman And the Sansui are born in a golden era where the headphone out was of the highest quality.... Luxman is mythical ....

https://stereonomono.blogspot.com/2014/01/luxman-r-113.html

I think that if someone here is looking for a dedicated amplifier of very high quality to power his K340, he must buy this Luxman R 113, there is some at a very low price right now under or around 200 bucks........If my wife would not kill me i will buy one for my incoming sextett... I would love to had 2 amplifiers and 2 dacs for each of my 2 AKG....No need to disconnected and change equalization and 2 flavors of sound.... Luxman had put inside a very powerful toroidal transformer and the inside is super clean.... More beautiful than my own Sansui, which speak volume for me....

Look inside :

Attachments

• 2651288-cd0b1521-luxman-r-113-audiophile-quality-stereo-receiver-amplifier-japan.jpg
    2651288-cd0b1521-luxman-r-113-audiophile-quality-stereo-receiver-amplifier-japan.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #33 of 177
20221203_180042.jpg
Luxman R-113
I actually keep a backup. It drive's my High impedance Headphones without any trouble. Plenty of headroom to spare. 😁
Ohh…..that is rather tame….. I thought that this is backup:
2887981C-832D-4231-8953-A4BB729C2251.jpeg
🤷🏻‍♂️😂😂

Feb 13, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #35 of 177
Congratulations! the Luxman And the Sansui are born in a golden era where the headphone out was of the highest quality.... Luxman is mythical ....
I haven't tried too many HP amps. But the ones I have, couldn't drive my high impedance HP's half as well. To the shredder they went. 😜

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #37 of 177
Vintage Sansui is hard to beat for the old AKGs, but honestly most vintage amps do the trick. Modern amps that sound pretty good is the Cayin IHA 6.
I have another powerful modern SS amp incoming and will report back.

Feb 13, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #38 of 177
Vintage Sansui is hard to beat for the old AKGs, but honestly most vintage amps do the trick. Modern amps that sound pretty good is the Cayin IHA 6.
You appear to have all the headphones from AKG to ZMF. Nice collection indeed!

Feb 13, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #39 of 177
You appear to have all the headphones from AKG to ZMF. Nice collection indeed!
Thanks! I discovered the Sextetts fairly early on in this hobby and bought several other old AKGs out of curiousity, but the Sextett MP is still my fav.
ZMFs have glorious mids similar to the Sextetts, but different. Even though the vintage AKGs cannot compete with ZMFs on many levels, they still get headtime with me.

Feb 13, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #40 of 177
What's your favorite AKG hp if I may ask?

Feb 13, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #41 of 177
Feb 13, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #42 of 177
Thanks! I discovered the Sextetts fairly early on in this hobby and bought several other old AKGs out of curiousity, but the Sextett MP is still my fav.
ZMFs have glorious mids similar to the Sextetts, but different. Even though the vintage AKGs cannot compete with ZMFs on many levels, they still get headtime with me.
Which version of the K340 do you have?

Feb 13, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #43 of 177
Which version of the K340 do you have?
I assume I have the bass light version, as my pair sound pretty anemic, but have never really looked into it. I know how to tell the Sextetts a part from one another, but how do you tell which K340 is which?

I will admit the Cayin IHA 6 actually makes the K340 sound pretty good and gives it some bass response.

Feb 13, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #44 of 177
I think the reason why , if ZMF are better on many measured levels than the old AKG , the sextett is always in your favorite, it is because measured drivers specs, and real acoustic devices inside a shell as the passive resonators, which were discarded at some point because AKG want to spare money and they were too costly; measured specs and high quality drivers cannot replace acoustic, in particular the powerful effect of these Helmholtz passive resonators, which not only absorb but diffuse some frequencies and create a second back wave inside the cups which are the reason why i bought the K340 and the sextett....

Drivers of high quality so good they are cannot replace by themselves acoustic devices as in a dedicated audio room no amplifier or speakers can replace the acoustic embeddings of the room... I say that because i used homemade resonators in my audio room few years ago...

By the way the K340 is very picky and it takes me hard time to figure out how to drive them and modify them and created as such an audio system around them... They are so good, i must be a fool to order the sextett... But i was so flabbergasted that i could not resist the idea to listen to these resonators with a singular dynamic driver... Anyway many friends here recommend them to me as the best.... :)

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #45 of 177
I assume I have the bass light version, as my pair sound pretty anemic, but have never really looked into it. I know how to tell the Sextetts a part from one another, but how do you tell which K340 is which?

I will admit the Cayin IHA 6 actually makes the K340 sound pretty good and gives it some bass response.
The green driver is the bass light version. I use an eq to tame the 2.5 Khz spike and it sounds amazingly detailed and dynamic with a Sextett presentation. The Sextett do have better mids but the 340 are faster more detailed and have a wider FR. The bass and treble timbre is hard to beat.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back