The Vintage AKG Headphones appreciation thread
Feb 18, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #166 of 177
i needed this proof... Thanks... :)

Feb 18, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #168 of 177
Feb 18, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #169 of 177
I have read through the impressions of the Sextett and can agree, I guess you got a good example. I don't really care about the comparisons between higher-quality stuff either, because the K240 Sextett managed to replace an LCD-2 for me within three days, so much I couldn't get out of my surprise especially in terms of the price. To be clear: That's only subjective, not objective. Most people don't expect much from headphones made in the 70s, but the AKG K240 Sextett were very much ahead of their time - therefore there was not much to improve.

Feb 18, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #170 of 177
You are very right.... I prefer the K340 but the fact i like the relaxing sextett and will keep it says a lot.... It is the only 2 headphones i appreciated at the end for a natural sound.... Thanks for your advice....

You are right our perception may be subjective answering our biases, but the acoustic devices inside the sextett and the K340 are objective acoustic fact that explain their kinship and extraordinary natural sound and soundfield...

My best to you...

Do you think the K501 rival the DF ?

I ask because this year i want to try a DF but the K501 has also a number good reviews ... And it seems AKG had a few top quality models in his sleeves ....I know that you own a K500 which seems to be near the K501... How did you compare for yourself the Df and the K500... ?

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #171 of 177
SharedScreenshot.jpg
Great guitarist! The Sextett is one smooth set of cans. :L3000:
K240 Sextett lp < Luxman R-113 < Loxjie D30 < Amazon Music HD.

Feb 18, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #172 of 177
Whether K240DF, K500 or K501 - sound characteristics always remain the same, it is detailed and enormously transparent, what the Sextett sometimes completely lacks. Transparency means: The clear separation of instruments, with the Sextett it is always quite muddled in comparison. Detailed means: The resonance of instruments and all room reverberation is represented very well. So much for the comparison between Sextett and DF.

The other headphones mentioned adapt this, I call it "unemotional studio sound" and mainly make improvements in stage size. When you hear the K500 for the first time you first think it's broken, then you notice that everything just sounds distant. You have the impression of being in a large room. Personally, this was too much for me, because it makes a lot of things sound rather shallow and thin. You may like it or not - in any case, it's the complete opposite of the Sextett.

But I caution: The K500 and 501 are almost unresponsive to EQ in the bass, but a K240DF is. I give it about 2 db more below 80 Hz, which makes it flat.

Feb 18, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #173 of 177
Whether K240DF, K500 or K501 - sound characteristics always remain the same, it is detailed and enormously transparent, what the Sextett sometimes completely lacks. Transparency means: The clear separation of instruments, with the Sextett it is always quite muddled in comparison. Detailed means: The resonance of instruments and all room reverberation is represented very well. So much for the comparison between Sextett and DF.

The other headphones mentioned adapt this, I call it "unemotional studio sound" and mainly make improvements in stage size. When you hear the K500 for the first time you first think it's broken, then you notice that everything just sounds distant. You have the impression of being in a large room. Personally, this was too much for me, because it makes a lot of things sound rather shallow and thin. You may like it or not - in any case, it's the complete opposite of the Sextett.

But I caution: The K500 and 501 are almost unresponsive to EQ in the bass, but a K240DF is. I give it about 2 db more below 80 Hz, which makes it flat.
Thanks very much....Great information in few words....

You helped me decide the best for me... i think that the DF is the headphone i must try to complement the K340 and the sextett.... I like so much the K340, immersed in music for the first time in my life...My speakers/room was very satisfying, but listening the K340 teach me what i was lacking in the bass range and high range...

My speakers /acoustically dedicated room was great holographically, the soundfield was surrounding me as with headphone really but with the dynamic of speakers...

When i lost it i was sad... But optimizing the K340 give me something i did not have, so good was my low cost Mission Cyrus 82 in my acoustic room, they were not as good in details than the K340, the tweeter and bass driver of a 2-way low cost speaker set, so good the speaker is for his price, cannot rival some high quality headphone.... Thanks to AKG the 3-d surrounding field i had with the speakers/room i had it now also to some extent with better highs and better bass ....

I regret no more my speakers/room now...

I could happily live with only the K340, but i love them so much i wanted to try the sextett, and now a completely different AKG among the best, i trust your advice and will buy a DF to complement my AKG collection .... i will not need anything else...

I computed in another post my ideal system and what will be needed to beat my actual system by a large margin : 30,000 dollars for a top dac and a top amplifier ( my Sansui is hard to beat, my actual dac is low cost but surprizingly good )...

But i can die satisfied with what i own now.... It is a dream.... :)

Thanks...

My best to you...

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #174 of 177
With my K340 i like to be immersed in jazz.... Even if classical is half my life....

And in jazz i am in love with guitar and hammond organ.... Trumpet and piano too for sure.... But with my K340 i sail on the ocean of Hammond organ jazz for a week... The bass and mids of the K340 are to die for....Then....

I just discover an album of Pink Floyd a friend recommend me here, but translated in my own prefered style and i will add it to my 50 hammond organ albums : :) :wink:

I just listen to it right now on youtube , it is very good i will grab it....But the sound from my beyerdynamic T 150 is not on par at all compared to the K340 for sure....I must wait to buy it....

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #175 of 177
I dont know how many of you know the Theremin?

Probably not many of you.... :)

I am a bit curious of how this will sound on the K340 :

Theremin explained in 2 minutes :

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #176 of 177
Or this text and music from 5,000 years old.... The instruments were reconstructed after archeological remnants find... Amazing...

Sumerian Pink Floyd....

Peter pringle is an amazing musician , he play all instruments well... Look at his site...

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 2:27 AM Post #177 of 177
With my K340 i like to be immersed in jazz.... Even if classical is half my life....

And in jazz i am in love with guitar and hammond organ.... Trumpet and piano too for sure.... But with my K340 i sail on the ocean of Hammond organ jazz for a week... The bass and mids of the K340 are to die for....Then....

I just discover an album of Pink Floyd a friend recommend me here, but translated in my own prefered style and i will add it to my 50 hammond organ albums : :) :wink:

I just listen to it right now on youtube , it is very good i will grab it....But the sound from my beyerdynamic T 150 is not on par at all compared to the K340 for sure....I must wait to buy it....

"I just discover an album of Pink Floyd a friend recommend me here"

I'll see you on The Dark Side of The Moon. 👍😉

Animals and The Wall by Pink Floyd are very good also.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back