The Upcoming FiiO T3 | Dual SD slot | 3.2 inch full touch screen | Optical/Coaxial/USB digital output | Slim design | APT-X | TYPE C |
Mar 4, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #106 of 1,222
Just asking out of curiosity, how would one ensure that the digital output of this pure transport performs better than the digital outputs of other DAPs?

Who cares - it's digital.  That's the idea of a transport - it's all about the storage and the UI.  All the sonics are taken care of by the DAC/amp you pair it with.

Mar 4, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #107 of 1,222

Who cares - it's digital.  That's the idea of a transport - it's all about the storage and the UI.  All the sonics are taken care of by the DAC/amp you pair it with.

I care. 
beerchug.gif
 or else I dont see much advantage over using a dap.

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #108 of 1,222
I think storage and versatility are the most critical components for a transport. If putting a cheap dac and amp in doesn't add to the size or cost significantly, then fine. But storage shouldn't be compromised in favor of a dac/amp, IMO.

Also, everyone talks about 1TB of storage with 2 SD cards, but currently that would cost the user $600; a 1TB mSATA card is $300. If it is possible technically, it would be nice if both SD and some kind of SSD storage capabilities were available for those that want it. 

A good, versatile, relatively future-proof transport, with both storage and streaming capabilities (so WiFI and Bluetooth are essential), and optical, coaxial, and USB outs, should be a one-off purchase at a reasonable price that everyone should be able to use with whatever level of dac or amp they like. That way audio companies can focus on what they supposedly do best: making DACs, Headphones, etc. The transport is, in my opinion, more of a computer/user interface design project, trying to maximize functionality and minimize size. And the functionality to be maximized here is storage, connectivity, and user interface.. 

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #109 of 1,222

I think the question should be more in regard to the output being bit perfect, with no up/down sampling or DSP etc.

As per your previous reply Paul, I really do get it and truly understand the potential use scenarios for a wider audience. I've been very vocal about it because this transport idea has interested me for a long time and I just wouldn't want to have it as a DAP also, my hang up, but I get it.

I guess it's me but others have voiced the same. Paying $50-$70 more for a DAC and amp could be money towards storage for the user, which is more important for a transport. Size is also an important factor when using a transport and a DAC/amp will only increase size. I guess we're cut from a different cloth. :wink:

I'll sit back and wait for more updates from FiiO.

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #110 of 1,222
If putting a cheap dac and amp in doesn't add to the size or cost significantly, then fine.

Size is also an important factor when using a transport and a DAC/amp will only increase size. I guess we're cut from a different cloth. :wink:

yeah, that's pretty much it.
a transport should be as compact as possible so if adding DAC/amp doesn't make a lot of difference in terms of size then i wouldn't mind.

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #111 of 1,222
so the important thing includes:

1, huge storage , mSATA disk seems the best solution right now.

2, compact size , slim design.

3, cheaper price, to be decided.

4, longer battery life, at least 40 hours.

5, user friend UI and easy to manage the music.

6, optical/coaxial/usb digital output, analog output maybe bonus.

beerchug.gif

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 4, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #112 of 1,222

:beerchug:

:beerchug:

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #113 of 1,222
I think we can design it if we can sell it more than 20,000 unit per year but it is quite difficult consider that there are only 391,866 head-fi'er , lol, I can't image we can sell to people outside head-fi 
triportsad.gif

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 4, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #115 of 1,222
  I think we can design it if we can sell it more than 20,000 unit per year but it is quite difficult consider that there are only 391,866 head-fi'er , lol, I can't image we can sell to people outside head-fi 
triportsad.gif

I think you'd be (pleasantly) surprised at how many people outside the head-fi community would be seriously interested in a pure transport with the characteristics you described. If feasible, you could design it with a removable DAC/amp as an option to broaden your market to those who wish to use it as a DAP, like $250/300 pure transport, $350/400 with DAC/amp module

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #116 of 1,222
  Just read through the thread.  I know James is asking for ideas - but I see a lot of "I want" without maybe looking at a bigger picture here.  Some thoughts.

I agree with most of the thoughts on some of the features - but I actually think that James is on the right track with including a reasonable DAC and if he can implement a basic amp with it, then why not?  My reasoning - James is obviously looking at the widest possible use, and the actual cost of putting a reasonable DAC into the unit need not be prohibitive.  Nor will it affect those who are clamouring for only wanting transport.  You won't be using the feature, so what do you care - just imagine its not there
wink.gif

sorry brooko i have to disagree, no dac and amp in the unit would mean space saved ( for a larger battery or something else ) or cost savings.

considering it wont bring outstanding sound for the price it could be $300? then it seems to be completely pointless feature that wont be used. for the people that are using it for the intended use, a transport. the x1 and the m3 are the better options for those wanting good sound on a budget. 

These are the most important features people want from this transport.

- Great battery life
- Large amounts of storage
- Fast smooth UI
- Wifi
- Bit perfect output

Mar 4, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #118 of 1,222
triportsad.gif

I think you'd be (pleasantly) surprised at how many people outside the head-fi community would be seriously interested in a pure transport with the characteristics you described. If feasible, you could design it with a removable DAC/amp as an option to broaden your market to those who wish to use it as a DAP, like $250/300 pure transport, $350/400 with DAC/amp module

yep there are tons of people that use fiio products that never heard of headfi

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #119 of 1,222

beerchug.gif

Maybe a Dac/Amp Module (ala X7 style), something suggested by @jeffhawke  is good. Those who need the dac/amp module could perhaps buy them as a bundle. Those who don't can save on it? If this is the way forward though, then no Dac should be in the transport, hence negating the need for the analog output. Win-win solution (i hope). 
beerchug.gif

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #120 of 1,222
I'll jump in with my own biased opinion
biggrin.gif

A transport should do just that. Transport music onto another device for further processing. Nothing more should be needed - although personally I would like a DAC and line out, just to simplify the process of use in a vehicle or home stereo.

A good UI should be top priority, this is the biggest failing of most DAPs.
Fast processor - able to perform parametric EQ on even the highest res files (possibly upsampling, if you feel like kicking the hornets nest
wink_face.gif
)
Plenty of storage. SD cards would be ideal. From my readings msata can be problematic when it comes to heat and battery consumption (at least in modded ipods)
Multiple digital outputs.
Good battery life ~10-12hrs should be way plenty (isn't that on par with your average DAC/amp). I'd keep the user replaceable idea open in case of battery failure or such.
Network compatibility (DLNA\wifi) would be a bonus

I really don't think that Fiio really need to be looking at putting DAC and amp capabilities in it, personal opinions aside. They've already got DAPs that fill that function perfectly. Honestly, I feel that if Fiio were to implement them, they might as well just call it the X3 mk.3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back