The Upcoming FiiO T3 | Dual SD slot | 3.2 inch full touch screen | Optical/Coaxial/USB digital output | Slim design | APT-X | TYPE C |
Mar 15, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #346 of 1,222
AK Jr thickness would be all right for me. Thinner is better, but if it means 20 hrs playback I'll take the AK Jr size.James mentioned 10mm, which is fairly thin already.

Yes I wish it had optical out... sth like ipod nano would be great too.

Putting on my product manager hat it would seem the other big decision for Fiio would be the price and positioning of this transport idea.

Is the market bigger for a cheaper low cost transport? Or a more expensive but better made/designed one? Who is the target market? Which type of enthusiast would go for a transport+dac/amp over the otherwise very nice x1/3/5/7 DAPs (or any other makers)? Imho such a transport should aim at the higher end market where users are not even satisfy with X7 type of sound and is willing to bear the cost (monetary and bulk) of a stack. Maybe I'm biased as I myself is in such a situation and hope others can share your view.

Mar 15, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #347 of 1,222
Yes I wish it had optical out... sth like ipod nano would be great too.

Putting on my product manager hat it would seem the other big decision for Fiio would be the price and positioning of this transport idea.

Is the market bigger for a cheaper low cost transport? Or a more expensive but better made/designed one? Who is the target market? Which type of enthusiast would go for a transport+dac/amp over the otherwise very nice x1/3/5/7 DAPs (or any other makers)? Imho such a transport should aim at the higher end market where users are not even satisfy with X7 type of sound and is willing to bear the cost (monetary and bulk) of a stack. Maybe I'm biased as I myself is in such a situation and hope others can share your view.

Personally I've found my favourite DAC/amp already. I'd like a dedicated transport for it.

What I really look forward to on the day someone makes a transport is the day I don't have multiple copies of my library to feed multiple devices. I currently have an AK100 mk2 strapped to the Mojo with two 200gb cards. I have an X5 first generation plugged in to my desktop DAC-19 DAC through coaxial with a 200gb card. I also have an AK240 for a stand alone DAP. Plus I have an X5ii/ALO Rx stack for a different flavour now and again. If I can reduce the storage management for a couple of these devices and just use the transport I'd be very happy.

90% of the cost of what I have plugged in to my external DACs is a waste of money because I'll never use it.

Mar 15, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #348 of 1,222
For me form is not important
Since any transport plus dac/amp stack is going to be too bulky to be really pocket friendly it will live in a backpack or similar
So smaller than a house brick will be fine

Mar 15, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #349 of 1,222
  For me form is not important
Since any transport plus dac/amp stack is going to be too bulky to be really pocket friendly it will live in a backpack or similar
So smaller than a house brick will be fine

That is why we are asking for one as thin as possible so that a more pocket friendly stack is possible. 

Mar 15, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #350 of 1,222
That is why we are asking for one as thin as possible so that a more pocket friendly stack is possible. 

Exactly. If it is thick, I might as well use my old/spare phone with mojo, or just get an X7/901S/AK380/760/900 or whatever top standalone DAP from whoever.

Mar 15, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #351 of 1,222
Exactly. If it is thick, I might as well use my old/spare phone with mojo, or just get an X7/901S/AK380/760/900 or whatever top standalone DAP from whoever.

This is why capacity and ui need to be the priority
Any stack is going to be at least twice the bulk of a phone or dap alone
With 2 full sd slots it is unlikely to be thinner than current phone tek
So if capacity and ui are not better than your spare phone or the daps you mention why would anyone buy it ?
I am sure Fiio will make the device as thin as possible but it should not compromise function

Mar 15, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #352 of 1,222
AK Jr thickness would be all right for me. Thinner is better, but if it means 20 hrs playback I'll take the AK Jr size.James mentioned 10mm, which is fairly thin already.

+1
AK jr size wise as a good guideline, although having the connection options we have all mentioned previously would probably mean this device being just a tad thicker.

Mar 15, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #354 of 1,222
+1

AK jr size wise as a good guideline, although having the connection options we have all mentioned previously would probably mean this device being just a tad thicker.

Why? You can share the coaxial and optical outputs and the micro USB takes up no room at all. Should be possible. Either way, it's still slim at the mentioned 10mm.

Mar 15, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #355 of 1,222
While we are all debating this product James has pretty much told us what it will be.  Having watched the X7 evolution, and how that played out, I would venture to say the deal is done at this point.

I get a kick out of people effectively saying "let's not entertain any position other than mine" in this thread.  The whole point of the thread is for people to share their views.

Of course my opinion gets extra votes.

Mar 15, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #356 of 1,222
not DAC means it can't works with portalbe amp like our E12/E12A and other great amps. 

not amp means someone may buy it and return to the Amazon and complain what the **** it is :wink_face: .  not everyone know what transport means so a very high integrated amp/dac is necessary. in fact, it will not cost too much. with ES9018K2M and ES9601, the design is very easy and simple. here is the referent design from ESS.

I don't see the big deal. I would love a transport that just happened to have a DAC attached, just need to strap a Headphone amp like the Fiio E12A I already have.. I'll be in Auditory Bliss.. Lol.. Especially with a screen the size of the iBasso DX80. For sure absolutely.. Sign me up for two of them.. Wife will want one too..

Mar 15, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #357 of 1,222
I don't see the big deal. I would love a transport that just happened to have a DAC attached, just need to strap a Headphone amp like the Fiio E12A I already have.. I'll be in Auditory Bliss.. Lol.. Especially with a screen the size of the iBasso DX80. For sure absolutely.. Sign me up for two of them.. Wife will want one too..

It certainly is possible

But I don't think it will happen here 
blink.gif

Mar 16, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #358 of 1,222
JamesFiiO, you should check out this post. It's the perfect size for a transport.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633511/pictures-of-your-portable-rig-part-xvi/19485#post_12425562

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #359 of 1,222
Mar 16, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #360 of 1,222

Users who are viewing this thread

Back