The Unforgettable Fire (Remastered 2009)
Oct 19, 2009 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Pangaea

Headphoneus Supremus
I am pretty excited about this remaster, more so than the others which have all been well done IMO. Admittedly I am a pretty big fan, although my favorite periods are in the past. This album was a huge sonic influence (and a pretty big turning point for U2) for a lot of bands and did not sound like much else at the time. But it can def. use a SQ upgrade as I have noticed some imperfections on the original, specifically during one of my fav. tunes "Elvis Presley and America."

It comes out next week in a few variations. I would really like to grab the most expensive, just to have the Live Aid footage but the 2 CD/DVD package is $25 more than the 2 CD version.

Is anyone else excited for this re-issue?

51B7rFyMY4L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Brief description of the 2 different versions (there is also a single disc of just the original album remastered)

Product Description

Limited Edition Box Set: containing 2 CDs (remastered album and bonus audio CD), a DVD with live footage, documentary and videos, a 56 page hardback book with liner notes by The Edge, Brian Eno, Danny Lanois, Bert Van de Kamp and Niall Stokes, and 5 photographic prints

Deluxe Edition: containing 2 CDs; the remastered album, and the bonus audio CD which features B-sides and previously unreleased material, a 36 page booklet with liner notes by The Edge, Brian Eno, Danny Lanois and Bert Van de Kamp

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #2 of 16
I would only be excited if the 2009 remaster doesn't become another victim of the loudness war. I will wait and see what others will say about the quality of the remaster before I make a decision. The dvd sounds interesting. I'm a fan of their albums up to 'Achtung Baby'.

Nov 6, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it is quite good and Moment of Surrender is def. one of my favorites.

Thanks the name eluded me. They played it as the final encore of the recent tour.

Nov 7, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip N' Burn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would only be excited if the 2009 remaster doesn't become another victim of the loudness war. I will wait and see what others will say about the quality of the remaster before I make a decision. The dvd sounds interesting. I'm a fan of their albums up to 'Achtung Baby'.

Yeah man way too many remasters are not just cleaned up but loudness-warred too. It's easily noticable when you have an original and a remaster and it makes me sad because it's hard to find original releases a while after a remaster comes out. Lots of remaster stuff is just moneygrabbing.

Nov 8, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah man way too many remasters are not just cleaned up but loudness-warred too. It's easily noticable when you have an original and a remaster and it makes me sad because it's hard to find original releases a while after a remaster comes out. Lots of remaster stuff is just moneygrabbing.

The Genesis remasters are like that. I had the remastered "Nursery Cryme" but also found a remastered version from the mid-90s. The mid-90s version blew the '08 remaster out of the water. I spent a lot of time on eBay looking for the mid-90s versions of those albums. The same goes for Iron Maiden. I think the original CD releases are far superior to the various remasters that have been put out in recent years.

Nov 9, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 16
I got the Unforgettable Fire remaster today. To my ear their is zero evidence of what we are calling the 'Loudness Trend." Plenty of dynamic range and much cleaner than the original.

Nov 9, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

I got the Unforgettable Fire remaster today. To my ear their is zero evidence of what we are calling the 'Loudness Trend." Plenty of dynamic range and much cleaner than the original.

Very good news. I'll have to get a copy in the near future.

Nov 9, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #11 of 16
While U2 hasn't been completely immune to the loudness trend (Atomic Bomb had some issues) these remasters have all been overseen by the guitarist and are quite good.

Nov 12, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #12 of 16
As a huge U2 fan of over 17 years, I'm a little embarassed to say that I don't have this remaster yet! But I DID buy the remastered Joshua Tree the other day!

No Line on the Horizon is a very good effort, but I still feel that U2 recycled some of their own sound without truly being inventive. Oh, and I'm really sick and tired of the lame singles they keep putting out. GOYB is a poor track and ***** single, but it was brilliant live, thank God. MOS is probably the best track on the whole album, and it was stunning live.

I will always love U2, but their business practices befuddle me sometimes.

Nov 12, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by punkaroo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. MOS is probably the best track on the whole album, and it was stunning live.

Yup a new classic

Nov 12, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #14 of 16
Even the band have acknowledged that Boots was probably not the best single to lead off the album. I do like the song in the context of the album as it acts as almost a lighthearted intermission on an otherwise very serious album. I really like No Line, it is some of the most gut wrenching music the band has put out since Achtung Baby. They probably would have done better had they put a similarly lighthearted title on this one. Achtung Baby was a great title as it tricked people into thinking it was their fun record when instead it was very heavy. But once people took the time to hear it most really liked it.

It has been hard watching U2 grow in some ways. I hate that they finally took on a corporate sponsor with this tour, but in the grand scheme of things I guess it doesn't matter. They certainly return a lot of good as a band. One of the reasons I have stood with them is that they were always my first fav band and 22 years after I discovered them they are still making relative music. At least in my opinion, and I take my music pretty serious. Not many other big bands can claim relevancy for that long.

Nov 13, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

I hate that they finally took on a corporate sponsor with this tour, but in the grand scheme of things I guess it doesn't matter. .

More bad news for you Bono is an owner/ shareholder of forbes magazine
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back