The Stax thread
Feb 15, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #2,581 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, they're ported. Guess where the port is.

Either at the cable entry point or in the recesses where the headband arc plugs attach?

Feb 15, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #2,584 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Blue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about, at least, having the 'Next Page' arrow duplicated (or even moved) next to the 'Previous Page' arrow: this should save a lot of waiting 20 minutes whilst my ancient PC deigns to scroll to the right!

Carl, maybe it's time to close off this thread and formally start a Stax thread II with a new intro message and a link back to this thread and some properly charming pictures up front.

Everyone else, I think we can agree Carl is the one who would have to do this, in his role as unofficial Stax moderator.

FV

Feb 15, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #2,585 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The earpads are only celotaped on, so you can swap the Lambda Pro's and 404's earpads should you so desire.

You turned the volume pot up to max?

Yup, max. Its not as loud as I hope and definitely way softer than the 404s. Its like if the 404s are on max at 5 o'clock, the Lambdas are on something like 2-3 o'clock on the volume pot

Feb 15, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #2,586 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm afraid that there is something very wrong with the Lambdas. It's hard to tell without opening them up but try leaving them plugged in and playing music for 24 hours and see if they improve. That has fixed some bias issues in the past but it isn't a sure fix.

Man, you are freaking me out. Could my Lambdas be faulty? Aw man... and I though I found a gem... being NOS and all. Dang.

Feb 15, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #2,587 of 2,694
Okay, plugged the Lambdas into the SRM1/MKII. Turned the volume up and it complies. But the left channel still softer than the right. Could it be that the 006t can't handle the older Lambda Pros as well? Weird.

Feb 15, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #2,588 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by jigster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, you are freaking me out. Could my Lambdas be faulty? Aw man... and I though I found a gem... being NOS and all. Dang.

NOS and Stax is not a good mix. I've had two NOS sets and they were both broken with corroded or broken wires. They looked great but were a bitch to get working again. Channel imbalance is a sure sign that there is some thing very wrong and their inefficiency is a bad sign too. I'm thinking that something has happened to the coating on the membranes, increasing their resistivity. There might even be some corrosion on the stators or the contacts. The bad new is that Lambda drivers aren't easy to fix like some of the other Stax stuff. I've had phones here that weren't used for years and they showed all of these signs but I let the run for a few days and they were ok. Try it...
plainface.gif

Feb 15, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #2,589 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NOS and Stax is not a good mix. I've had two NOS sets and they were both broken with corroded or broken wires.

Sorry about this basic query, chaps, but what does 'NOS' mean? I've worked out what BNIB means (very rare with Stax gear!), but NOS: something to do with being non-operative?

Feb 15, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #2,590 of 2,694
Quote:

Sorry about this basic query, chaps, but what does 'NOS' mean? I've worked out what BNIB means (very rare with Stax gear!), but NOS: something to do with being non-operative?

NOS means New Old Stock. You see it a lot with tubes. It means that something is old stock (probably not in production) but unused.

Feb 15, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #2,591 of 2,694
Quote:

New Old Stock, i.e., old but have never been used.

Feb 15, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #2,592 of 2,694
Thanks for the prompt responses. But why would spritzer be so unlucky with NOS and Stax? I'd have thought NOS (now I know what it means!) would be OK. Why should Stax gear in particular suffer?

Feb 15, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #2,595 of 2,694
Quote:

Thanks for the prompt responses. But why would spritzer be so unlucky with NOS and Stax? I'd have thought NOS (now I know what it means!) would be OK. Why should Stax gear in particular suffer?

Storage conditions aren't always that great and some gear can be damaged by sitting around. All I'm saying is that every body should be careful when buying old Stax gear and have the seller check it out before buying. They don't often know how to set it up so help them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back