The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 7, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #21,349 of 24,807
Quote:
The change in sound from applying soldering iron heat near the drivers is probably several orders of magnitude greater than the change in cable

Same with the change in sound from a slightly different re-assembly of the headphones

Now that you mention this, it's a rather scary endeavour to recable these cans! It's not like the dust screens or diaphragm are very thick. Hopefully, there was no flux in the solder mix :wink:

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #21,350 of 24,807
Quote:

Now that you mention this, it's a rather scary endeavour to recable these cans! It's not like the dust screens or diaphragm are very thick. Hopefully, there was no flux in the solder mix :wink:

I suggest avoiding solder altogether.  He needs to weld those cables on..... inert gas welding, no less, so as not to introduce oxygen into the copper.

By soldering he has introduced tin, silver, lead and a good deal of oxygen into the joint.  The oxygen will electromigrate into the copper cable, eventually reaching the amplifier and poisoning the tube cathodes and /or semiconductor junction doping.....

wink.gif

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #21,351 of 24,807
Quote:
The change in sound from applying soldering iron heat near the drivers is probably several orders of magnitude greater than the change in cable

Same with the change in sound from a slightly different re-assembly of the headphones

True and if he soldered without solid covers over the entire drivers then there is a good chance flux castoff did some serious damage. 

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #21,352 of 24,807
Quote:
Soon you know it, people are going against the good engineering from Stax and start recabling there SR-009's with all kinds of shenanigans.

Exactly.  To those of you inquiring about this, please do not pollute this thread.  I beg you to start your own thread.  Or go back to dynamics.

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #21,354 of 24,807
You guys just don't get it; not surprised.
More organic sound? That is the more ignorant comment ever in this thread.
Now, go somewhere else, i.e. the magical cables thread.
I promise I won't berate you there.

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #21,357 of 24,807
Yes.  I was actually looking for the cord itself but I suppose that socket means it's a 3 prong with a generic power cord.  Thanks

Woops. I guess not all amps are the same.  Looking at the back of the SRM-252S I see this. I guess I'll just get a 3 prong transformer and be prepared for anything.

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #21,358 of 24,807
Quote:
You guys just don't get it; not surprised.
More organic sound? That is the more ignorant comment ever in this thread.
Now, go somewhere else, i.e. the magical cables thread.
I promise I won't berate you there.

FWIW I was just asking for costmetic and usability standpoint. I know there probably wasnt going to be any if at all difference in sound. 

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #21,359 of 24,807
Quote:
FWIW I was just asking for costmetic and usability standpoint. I know there probably wasnt going to be any if at all difference in sound. 

OK, I think I was drunk when I made these comments; I meant what I said about opening a new thread about cables, but it came out too rude. Sorry.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back