The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 8, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #21,361 of 24,807
I can't believe the hard time the guy is getting on here for re cabling his 009's. I think it is the most interesting thing on here in a while and there probable isn't too many people on here that wouldn't like to hear if there is a difference. I wanted to hear how the 009 cable would sound on the 007's. At this level you only have 2 cables to choose from and it takes soldering skills that Stax doesn't even have at times. I am also glad to see the inside picture of the 009's but still wonder how they would come apart to change the earpads.

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #21,362 of 24,807
Do the benefits outweigh the risks?
Is there an added benefit?
Again, any discussion about cables and their influence (or lack of) in sound should be discussed in another thread. Lets not start it here.

Mar 8, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #21,364 of 24,807
Quote:
I can't believe the hard time the guy is getting on here for re cabling his 009's. I think it is the most interesting thing on here in a while and there probable isn't too many people on here that wouldn't like to hear if there is a difference. I wanted to hear how the 009 cable would sound on the 007's. At this level you only have 2 cables to choose from and it takes soldering skills that Stax doesn't even have at times. I am also glad to see the inside picture of the 009's but still wonder how they would come apart to change the earpads.

Pictures of a complete disassembly were posted here

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #21,366 of 24,807
Any recabling of the Stax headphones must be done with inert gas welding, of a type known as TIG welding.  To properly recable a Stax earspeaker, the first step is to fill the entire room with argon gas.....

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #21,367 of 24,807
Or Hydrogen and Oxygen, then light the torch.
You'll sure get a bang out of that job.
And you won't have to worry about your wallet anymore..

A permanent fix you might say......

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #21,369 of 24,807
Jay, you know how discussions about cables always end.
Its like having a pro lifer trying to convert a prochoice to their point of view.
Or an amicable conversation between a capitalist and a communist.
It's just that is not going to end well.

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #21,370 of 24,807
I had the SR-007mk1's for 11 years and in that time I only had one problem which was with the cable. To get those headphones repaired, all I did was take them to my local audio shop where they sent them off to a place to have a new cable fitted. If my 009's ever needed a new cable, I'd just do the same thing.

I know it has been suggested that the discussion of cables should be discussed on another thread, but I'm only referring to Stax cables, and this is The Stax thread.

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #21,371 of 24,807
Quote:
I had the SR-007mk1's for 11 years and in that time I only had one problem which was with the cable. To get those headphones repaired, all I did was take them to my local audio shop where they sent them off to a place to have a new cable fitted. If my 009's ever needed a new cable, I'd just do the same thing.

I know it has been suggested that the discussion of cables should be discussed on another thread, but I'm only referring to Stax cables, and this is The Stax thread.

I believe it is entirely acceptable (even welcomed) to disuss cable (in this thread) in your case, because replacing the cable was not optional, but the previous post isn't suggesting anything close to this.

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #21,372 of 24,807
but the magnitudes for current, resistance, V sensitivity in ESL are way different than dynamic headphones - even if you "believe" you shouldn't think that cable quality analogies from dynamics apply similarly to ESL

Quote:
of course as an engineer I think most of the cable commentary is silly for any headphone - but do you people realize just how different the operating conditions for ES headphones are?

if a cable were to make a difference an engineer would expect this to mean there was a audibly significant voltage difference between one end and the other

in case you hadn't noticed the Stax voltage sensitivity number is ~ 100x less than your typical dynamic headphone - which might lead an engineer to suggest any voltage difference across the cable from wire composition has about 100x less influence on ES sound

then you need to consider that any cable V drop is also going to dependent on current - at average listening levels, for typical 3 KHz power bandwidth music signal the Stax draw another factor of 10-100x less current than dynamic headphones

just to be conservative in piling on the estimates suppose we say cable wire metal in ES headphones is 100 x 10 ~= 1000 less important than it would be for say K70x, much less an ortho

the special conditions of low capacitance and safety required double insulation mean you'd be nuts to by a 3rd party ES cable anyway

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #21,373 of 24,807
The entire cable discussion for high-end STAX seems totally crazy to me because I would believe that STAX already uses the optimal cables for its headphones. I don't know if anyone has seen the disassembled STAX-SR-009, but the product as a whole is incredibly well engineered, almost to the point where it is meant to be a statement.

I'd be shocked to think that there is even a cable available that would be better than what STAX offers stock.

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #21,375 of 24,807
Settling in with my new Head Amp KGSS (picked up in a local deal). Very impressed so far with my SR009s. Imaging seems wider (closer to my HD800s now). Bass is more robust and even tighter. It's built like pretty much everything Justin builds...solid and very professional. 

Anyone interested in a MINT SRM-727II, let me know, I'll be listing it likely tomorrow. 
size]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back