Your experience is saddening at any price, be it $1k or $10K! Maybe look into freezing your cans. I've seen a lot of delicate stuff get stuffed in a cryogenic box.
Of course, though dead the kingdom would forever be with you, short of returning them to Japan.
I keep the phones on a Woo stand, with the Stax plastic cover to protect from dust.
I am happy to report that the ants have disappeared, not only from the SR-009, but also from the rest of the audio rack. Second day in a row without rain, and no trace of ant to be found anywhere in the house. It's a shame; the whole last week I perhaps listened to 1 or 2 hours total, and now I've got a terrible cold with clogged sinuses so no listening anytime soon either. It just doesn't sound right under these conditions. I'm glad all my audio investment squandering is paying off
Hi Nick: Really glad to hear that they have gone! Hope you're feeling better too.
This has to be one of the most horrifying threads I've encountered on head-fi. Especially watching the clip of the ants scurrying about at disturbingly fast speeds... and then reading that he found a whole NEST of them in the headphones, with hundreds pouring forth. Not to mention these aren't just any ol' headphones, but some of the most expensive and desirable out there...
Nightmare fodder for sure.
I wanted to post a followup to my ant problem, lest my absence in this thread be construed as my becoming their fodder.
First of all, let's recap the lovely outside video (thanks Steve for hosting the file):
After some back and forth with Jack Wu - who has been extremely supportive throughout this ordeal - it was decided that I should attempt to clean them up prior to any shipping considerations. With some insights and caveats provided by Purrin and Spritzer I was ready to undertake this task.
First order of business was to pick a workspace - my usual one inside the house was out of the question because the living ants, so I chose the garage floor, as it would also double as an excellent squishing surface for any stray insect. I unrolled a few rows of paper towels, and then removed the phones from the sealed bag in which they had spent the last couple of days. After squishing any ants jumping ship with a piece of paper towel, I picked up the ones running on the phones and cable with a packing tape - I didn't want to soil the unit.
I removed the pods from the headband, then the pads from each pod. Here's what waited for me under the right pad:
Here's a photo of it as well:
After removing each part carefully so as not to pick up any ants, nor damage the phones, I got down to driver level. I squished straying ants, and wiped off the remaining ants from the metal frame outside the garage.
I then prepared for the reassembly, and took photos of most steps. I cleaned up with alcohol where applicable, and dry wipe where I thought it wasn't safe. The dust covers were not touched in any way, only the plastic driver frame on the outside.
Cable entry mounting point
Pods with outside grilles and o-rings
Aligning the outside grille
Pod with outside grille and driver o-ring mount
Left driver with inward dust cover visible
Left driver with outward dust cover visible
Driver ready for mounting
Placing cable mount spacers
Mounting the driver in the pod
Driver all fastened in
Fitting the inside grille. Not yet right.
Placing the pad o-ring
Installing the cable mount cover
The cable mount bottom strip. Have no idea what it's actually called.
... and finally, the pad
and the inside cover
Fully assembled left pod
Right pod is essentially the same process.
I'm happy to report that they sound great! But I still have that skin tingling sensation when I wear them, and still take them off every once in a while to look for ants. Brrrrr.
My face when this thread.
I would do one of these three.
B)Put on your Big manly balls and crack them open to dust away the little buggers.
C)Burn them to the ground.
No, that wouldn't be NASA. NASA would be chalk and a blackboard practicing Metric to Standard conversions. Or something like...