The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #22,411 of 24,807
Quote:
Quote:
That Ken Rockwell should not be consulted when it comes to Stax!

x10, or anything else for that matter
tongue.gif

Wait why? I briefly glanced through his reviews, and they seemed pretty positive.

May 22, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #22,412 of 24,807
Quote:
Wait why? I briefly glanced through his reviews, and they seemed pretty positive.

Well, everybody is entitled to have their specific opinion about almost anything.
When it comes to Mr. Rockwell, he tends to be very positive about almost anything. A great deal of the advice he is giving on his website seems to be contradictive, at least to me. I'd say he is a happy guy that might be writing a lot about stuff he is very enthusiastic about, but at the same time could benefit a great deal from having a great deal more insights to the stuff :)
In rgrds to camera stuff there are a lot of other sources on the web to consult, and in rgrds to Earspeakers I would rather trawl this forum :wink:

May 22, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #22,416 of 24,807
I can say for certain the LL2 is a definite step up from the 717 but have not heard he BHSE.  It's pretty much also going to be a considerable step up based on what's known...  In fact I like the KGSS better than the 717 and wish I never sold mine.

I have this internal debate with myself each and every day of whether or not to jump from o2mk1 to 009.  Phase two would be about the amp...

May 22, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #22,417 of 24,807
Quote:
I can say for certain the LL2 is a definite step up from the 717 but have not heard he BHSE.  It's pretty much also going to be a considerable step up based on what's known...  In fact I like the KGSS better than the 717 and wish I never sold mine.

I have this internal debate with myself each and every day of whether or not to jump from o2mk1 to 009.  Phase two would be about the amp...

Thank you for that. Think I'll hold off for the LL2 or BHSE.

May 23, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #22,419 of 24,807
Quote:

Any thoughts?

I would skip (send back) any SR007 phones and do anything I could to get my hands on a pair of 009s, which nobody could ever pry from me.
If you have to get a cheap amp or source for a while until you can afford better, I would do so, but to me the 009s are the main kernal to build a great system upon.
The 009 reveals extreme detail in a musical way that can sink deep in to your brain in ways I never heard any audio system do.
It can be bright if you don't line up the food chain right, but you'll get there if you work at it a bit.

May 23, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #22,424 of 24,807
on a heavily modded T1/SRM1MK2
The LNS will sound much better than O2. the lambda signature sound even better

changing the wires to PCOCC-A
didn't change the caps yet, sound is very good already ,much refined than the stock srm600,007ta

May 23, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #22,425 of 24,807
Why on earth did you replace the secondary wires on the transformer?  Ohh wait, I forgot my golden rule, never try to reason to crazy people who believe a length of conductor has magical properties... 
Quote:

You do know that the 717 can be made to sound pretty close to the KGSS?  Even though it is a licensed version of the KGSS, Stax made a real mess of the output stage so it can be "fixed". 

Quote:
Thanks Birgir , the drivers on mine are pretty off center and sounds muffled compared to my other pair. I just might send  them to StaxUSA for repair.

I'd just buy some double sided tape and save a bundle of money. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back