The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 13, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #21,421 of 24,807
Quote:
i think you've answered your own question, "they sound fine" In my experience I've had inappropriate levels set and experienced no damage.
scary moment huh?

Well, I had some old Lambda's that sounded fine even with holes in the diaphragm... :wink:

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #21,425 of 24,807
I've actually seen multiple instances of people talking about Stax drivers with holes sounding completely normal. Maybe there's more to it than we think... odd.

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #21,427 of 24,807
All right, got that SR-Gamma today...

...and it's imbalanced. Damn. Not only is the right-side driver generally louder, but the left-side driver also rolls off in the bass significantly even after balancing the volume, especially at 100 Hz and below. I don't see anything immediately wrong with the left driver compared to the right, either...well, except that the left driver's inner dust guard layer seems to be roughed up in a particular spot. But that wouldn't explain the sheer imbalance I notice here...

Also, the earpads are much, much shallower than I was expecting, which means my ears (pinnae if you want to get pedantic) touch the inside of the cups. Quite detracting from a comfort standpoint.

Other than those flaws, first impressions are that it does sound pretty good, if more closed in than a Lambda (likely because of the shallow earcups). I just wish I knew of a way to fix that left driver so I don't have to fiddle with the balance knob on my receiver.

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #21,428 of 24,807

Uh, Oh..
My condolences. However I'm up for buying it for half the price 
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
In my Oppo 95 -> Realizer A8 -> PS Audio PWDII DAC -> Woo WES -> Stax SR-009 setup, on 2 occasions there was a clipped signal being fed to the SR-009s. Worried that this may have damaged the drivers in the SR-009.  Would it be audible if damaged?

On a few occasions the Realizer A8 clipped and it sounded like distorted bass in the SR-009s.  It didn't last more than 1sec each time.  I had the volume on the A8 set too high and it clipped on movie scenes with loud explosions. They don't really tell you that the A8 is susceptible to this in the manual!

On a second occasion I fed the DAC unprocessed dolby digital sound, which caused loud clicking/beeping sounds.  I immediately shut off the source.

The SR-009 sound fine.  Should I worry about any damage?

Thanks

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #21,429 of 24,807
Quote:
I've actually seen multiple instances of people talking about Stax drivers with holes sounding completely normal. Maybe there's more to it than we think... odd.

Anybody who says that has never heard a fully functional set.  The distortion caused by just one small hole is clearly audible. 

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #21,430 of 24,807
Quote:
Settling in with my new Head Amp KGSS (picked up in a local deal). Very impressed so far with my SR009s. Imaging seems wider (closer to my HD800s now). Bass is more robust and even tighter. It's built like pretty much everything Justin builds...solid and very professional. 

Anyone interested in a MINT SRM-727II, let me know, I'll be listing it likely tomorrow. 
size]

You lucky dog!
Congrats! Great find!
atsmile.gif

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 14, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #21,431 of 24,807
Broken Lambda Pro driver...

So I was inspecting my Lambda Pros, since the right channel sounded off. Turns out the driver had come apart - the back stator was not secured to the rest of the driver.

The photo below shows the problem (btw, I've only kept the stator 'open' like this for a few seconds; very briefly when I realized it was broken, and again just long enough to take this photo and scan for dust on the membrane). There is no dust visible to my eyes on the membrane, and the back stator fits perfectly on the ring to which it is supposed to be glued; i.e. there are no gaps. 

Anyone else fixed their stators before?
My current thinking is to use some 2-part epoxy (LePage Marine Epoxy) around the edges to re-secure the stator, and leave some weight (an old textbook?) on top of the stator overnight while the glue settles. Thoughts?

On the same topic, the 5-pin connector seems a bit oxidized - any easy way to remove the oxide?

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #21,435 of 24,807
Quick question. On the new Stax portables...are they more like earbuds (sit more on your ear canal) or IEM style headphones? 

I can't do in ears (due to wax impact problems), but ear buds are fine and I'm pretty interested in a pair. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back