The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #21,407 of 24,807
In my Oppo 95 -> Realizer A8 -> PS Audio PWDII DAC -> Woo WES -> Stax SR-009 setup, on 2 occasions there was a clipped signal being fed to the SR-009s. Worried that this may have damaged the drivers in the SR-009.  Would it be audible if damaged?

On a few occasions the Realizer A8 clipped and it sounded like distorted bass in the SR-009s.  It didn't last more than 1sec each time.  I had the volume on the A8 set too high and it clipped on movie scenes with loud explosions. They don't really tell you that the A8 is susceptible to this in the manual!

On a second occasion I fed the DAC unprocessed dolby digital sound, which caused loud clicking/beeping sounds.  I immediately shut off the source.

The SR-009 sound fine.  Should I worry about any damage?

Thanks

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #21,408 of 24,807
Quote:
This is new to me. Thanks for the info. I assumed that they all would have some form of regulated PSU like most comercial/DIY ones, since they are charging quite a bit for them.

still, something like 001 is much more suitable for portable use.

The only Stax amp with a regulated PSU is the SRM-300/310.  Even the T2 was just a rectifier and a cap. 

Quote:
Some RCA cables also have the shield connected only to one side of the cable.

This is true but they have to have a return wire or they won't function.  The XLR's do not need ground.

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #21,409 of 24,807
actually the new srm002 portable has a fully regulated power supply.
But not in the same way as the 300/310

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #21,410 of 24,807
Quote:
In my Oppo 95 -> Realizer A8 -> PS Audio PWDII DAC -> Woo WES -> Stax SR-009 setup, on 2 occasions there was a clipped signal being fed to the SR-009s. Worried that this may have damaged the drivers in the SR-009.  Would it be audible if damaged?

On a few occasions the Realizer A8 clipped and it sounded like distorted bass in the SR-009s.  It didn't last more than 1sec each time.  I had the volume on the A8 set too high and it clipped on movie scenes with loud explosions. They don't really tell you that the A8 is susceptible to this in the manual!

On a second occasion I fed the DAC unprocessed dolby digital sound, which caused loud clicking/beeping sounds.  I immediately shut off the source.

The SR-009 sound fine.  Should I worry about any damage?

Thanks

Yes. See a neurologist as soon as possible!

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #21,416 of 24,807
Eh, I get it...but this is the internet after all. I'd flip if I had thought my 009s were damaged too (when I had them). 

Now I'll flip if someone jokes about my speakers. :D

Quote:
but i can somewhat understand , if i were to spend 5K on SR009, and were in his shoes ( worried about them having permanent damage), i'd NOT like someone joking about it.

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #21,418 of 24,807
but i can somewhat understand , if i were to spend 5K on SR009, and were in his shoes ( worried about them having permanent damage), i'd NOT like someone joking about it.

Thanks guys. It's not easy to joke online as it's hard to interpret. I know I'm somewhat "anal retentive" but after spending so much money, I'm being extra cautious I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back