The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 3, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #21,287 of 24,807
Quote:

Spitzer are you real or just an avatar of Gilmore behind a proxy? I can't believe you exist, you are a kind of echo of him
Regards
Rudi Stor

Dear Spritzer 
from a distance objective view this is not healthy .

Dear empetus:
your second post here at head-fi has opened my mind to the circle of intrigue and suspicious individuals in this forum.
Thank you very much for your insight.

Mar 3, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #21,288 of 24,807
Mar 3, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #21,290 of 24,807
So I opened up my SRM-717 100v version Today on curiousity of whether or not the voltage can be changed by switching the jumpers... It's definitely got those jumpers/metal bars there but I think I've read it before that some of the units cut some windings making it incompatible or something like that? Here's some pics if they're of any help at all in seeing whether that is possible... this is a 100v unit and I'd like to change it to the 117v.  

So will I have no problems in changing the voltage here? If that's not enough info there I can take some more detailed pics... I do know that the jumper code for 117/120v is 2,4,6.

But If I have to measure anything to make sure then it's probably best that I not do it as I don't have any equipment or technical knowledge to do so, and I have a Step up/down transformer I'm using anyway (and I hardly notice any difference in sound). But I figured I might as well do it if it is possible to do so, just for the sake of convenience.

Thanks in advance.

Mar 3, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #21,291 of 24,807
you need to remove the green circuit board and look carefully at the wires going into
the transformer. If they are cut (likely) you have to repair them first.

Mar 3, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #21,292 of 24,807
Quote:

The whole jack thing sounds silly, but I can't help thinking that if there was an issue with the dielectric in the sockets (beyond a safety one) then wouldn't it have to be caused by the material acting as a capacitor and influencing the sound that way?

Yeah well you know what where I was heading with what I said. Changing the stock jacks in my old SRD7sb mark 2's will give them a new facelift...

Quote:

Spitzer are you real or just an avatar of Gilmore behind a proxy? I can't believe you exist, you are a kind of echo of him
Regards
Rudi Stor

Dear Spritzer 

popcorn.gif

Quote:
Aren't the headband assemblies interchangeable between Lambdas of the same era?

Yes, headbands from the new and old Lambda models can all be interchanged. Just remove that little screw inside the housing to fit the newer headbands.

Mar 3, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #21,293 of 24,807
Quote:

Regards
Rudi Stor

Dear Spritzer 

Pretty obvious what happened here.  Spritzer has a three year old proxy he brought out of hibernation to accuse himself of being a proxy of KG, a charge he was well-equipped to refute with those gorgeous snapshots.  In the process, he would make Rudi look even more unhinged by apparently signing on by proxy to accuse someone else of being a proxy.  

Quite cunning I must admit, and it almost had some fooled... unfortunately I can rebut it as I am actually Rudi posting by proxy and have been for some years and can state unequivocally that empetus is an imposter created by the opposition to weaken my stranglehold on gullible European collectors.

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #21,295 of 24,807
Okay, thanks KG, removed the green board. All the wires seems to be going in? Is this a go or a no-go? Or can you even tell from this angle?

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #21,298 of 24,807
Quote:

Yes. I see that you upgraded to an 007 now? Sold the rest of your headphones?

DefQon, thanks for noticing.  I figured I'd put too much of my psycho-drama on display and wanted to spare everyone further drama, but basically, I couldn't bear having these new phones sitting in boxes unused.  I tried rotating the phones, but this just made me irritated.  None of the others kept my interest.  So, I contacted Fujiya Avic in Tokyo and worked out a trade.  My HD700, HD600, HE-400, and p3, along with the HP-A7 and Fiio E17 and a small amount of cash for the 007A.  It comes out to about ¥270,000 worth of stuff and cash for a ¥210,000 (retail) headphone.  I might have gotten a better deal selling things piecemeal, but this transaction took just several hours door-to-door.  And out of pocket, I spent about US$650 of my own money for the 007As, so I can live with that.  More than anything, it gives me some peace of mind.  I can now rotate two phones and build my set up from there.  Still blown away by the 404LE +T1 sound, but the 007A is really smooth and easy to listen to.  Still trying out tracks with it to get a better sense of its signatures while burning it in.

I know that many aren't crazy about the 007A and prefer the Mk1 version and 009, but I like what I hear and will focus on adding a DAC (am trying out different ones now) and upgrading the driver/amp at some point.  It gives some time to start saving for a 009 and stop worrying about unused phones.  So that's my story, very little clutter at the moment, and I can build from the ground up with a decent foundation.

(Would have dumped the ESWA9 too, but it's in storage in the States.)

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #21,299 of 24,807
Quote:

Bang for buck wise I thought SRM-1 MKII Pro was a better value than the often-recommended budget amp SRM323S. 323S sounded a tad better, but not worth the twice the asking price of the SRM-1 MKII Pro.

I'd say start off with the SRM-1 and save up for a better amp, because upgraditis will hit you eventually anyway. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Is that the general reccomendation these days? Does anyone still produce it, or is it discontinued? Id love to buy new but I kinda get the feeling that isnt gunna be possible. Ive heard the 727 sounded great, but I may have to wait on that one. 

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #21,300 of 24,807
Quote:
Is that the general reccomendation these days? Does anyone still produce it, or is it discontinued? Id love to buy new but I kinda get the feeling that isnt gunna be possible. Ive heard the 727 sounded great, but I may have to wait on that one. 

The SRM-1 MKII Pro available new, no... the amp is over 20 years old and are long out of production.  Used they go for about $300~400 though. Very good bang for the buck as long as they're in good condition.

SRM-323S are available new and is said to be the best in-production Stax amp without modification.  They make a decent pairing with the 007.

I had the 727A paired with the 007 MK1 for about a week and... I don't recommend that pairing in its stock form... has way too loose of a bottom end IMO. When modded it is said to sound a LOT better though.  If you can't mod it though I'd recommend a used 717 or a KGSS (assuming you can't go straight to end game with the BHSE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back