The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #21,241 of 24,807
Thinker posted:-

Quote:
Planned review of Malvalve Head amp three on Head-fi forum is cancelled

I hope he doesn't have second thoughts.....

Quote:
Hahahahah! If anyone studied even basic physics/electronics will understand that doing that will do absolutely nothing to the sound unless you're from a different planet with an ear drum the size of a football..

So, you calling the dude an alien and/or an elephant?

He's allowed his opinion - even if it is wrong.

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #21,244 of 24,807
Quote:
how long does kuboten take to ship item ??

my sr404 ltd is t their storage and i have paid form the shipping to my country also ( after i got the quote for it ) ....but after they just stopped replying to my mails. its been 8 days already.
am worried sick, i ordered from them cause i read here they were reliable.

Sooo, is that 8 BUSINESS days, or is it more than likely 5 or 6 business days only, and for an International shipment - it's still too early.
Give it another week or so - you'll be fine.

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #21,245 of 24,807
I noticed a problem today with my Stax SR-303. Whenever very low bass notes/tones play, I hear a very loud rattle unless I press the earspeakers against my head. It's so loud that I can hear it without placing the headphones fully on my head. What is going on?

I am freaking out right now. My AKG K167 broke literally yesterday, I can't handle my only remaining headphone having obnoxious problems like this.

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #21,246 of 24,807
Quote:
how long does kuboten take to ship item ??

Craig is one person.  Usually he's fairly prompt, but if something happens like one of his kids is in hospital then that tends to go out the window.

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #21,247 of 24,807
Quote:
I was trying to find the volume knob...

In all the confusion, they forgot to install a volume control - shouldn't be a problem.

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #21,248 of 24,807
Quote:

Sooo, is that 8 BUSINESS days, or is it more than likely 5 or 6 business days only, and for an International shipment - it's still too early.
Give it another week or so - you'll be fine.

its 8 Business days NOW.

and am worried they have not even shipped the item ( or worse case lost it in their storage, or sent it to someone else).

they have not given my the tracking nor any notification that it has been shipped. If they had i wouldnt be this worried. i have mailed them 5 times , no replies!

This is how kubo ten works :
1. you send a bid to them
2. they bid on your behalf
3. if you win they send you invoice for the item with local ( in japan ) shipping quote and their fee.
4. you pay .
5. item reaches their japan storage.
6. if you wish it to be shipped to india you ask them for a quote for shipping
7. they give you options for shipping
8. you choose an option.
9. they send you an invoice for the said option of shipping.
10. you pay.
11. they send the item to you .

In my case am up to 10th point , just they have not shipped till date ( i paid on 19th feb)

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #21,249 of 24,807
Quote:

Craig is one person.  Usually he's fairly prompt, but if something happens like one of his kids is in hospital then that tends to go out the window.

thanks for the reply. that helps. he must be busy. ( but i still get emails if i bid on another item through kuboten, is it system generated?  )
i dont mind the delay if my HPs are safe.

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #21,250 of 24,807
Not sure if this request is appropriate for this thread or not, but I recently acquired an SRD-X Portable Energizer (non-pro) that is not working. As I am a tech I would like to repair it and then find it a home. Does anyone know here I might find a schematic for it? I believe the bias supply is not working.  

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #21,251 of 24,807
Craig has been pretty busy lately as it's been two weeks since I asked him to ship.  I'm used to this by now though and your headphones are perfectly fine. 
Quote:
I noticed a problem today with my Stax SR-303. Whenever very low bass notes/tones play, I hear a very loud rattle unless I press the earspeakers against my head. It's so loud that I can hear it without placing the headphones fully on my head. What is going on?

I am freaking out right now. My AKG K167 broke literally yesterday, I can't handle my only remaining headphone having obnoxious problems like this.

Look inside the earcup and see if the glue that holds the driver has dislodged. 

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #21,252 of 24,807
i just got a reply from them :D

yeah he said he has been busy.

thanks for reply guys. as said before, i dint mind the delay , if i am updated with the proceedings. ( if not my mind just keeps thinking of some mishap )

Mar 2, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #21,254 of 24,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker 

I have done lot of DIY with tube sockets and Stax inlets
The original Stax Pro inlet owns the best sound grab it if you find it somewhere
Teflon sounds airy and little bit thin in the upper frequencies not the best sound with SR- 009 in worst case a horror scenario but Omega mk2 get the most benefit from it.
If you use teflon you should dampen it to dead from the chassis
Old Stax inlets sound muddy almost harsh
The Malvalve inlet with the dummy Neutrik  could also be seen as good predampening solution

I have found it best to forgo the application of any dampening solution to the Stax sockets of my T1.   Damp solutions and high voltage don't really mix all that well.

However, I have found a way to prevent any vibration from having an impact (so to speak) on the sound of the socket, and that is to completely pot it in epoxy. I find that if I completely eliminate  the possibility of plugging any electrostatic headphones into the socket, then the socket can add absolutely no coloration to the sound....

I also thought at first that old Stax sockets did sound muddy, but then I realized I was listening to HARD AGAIN  ( CLICK HERE )

I tried to do a double blind test on a variety of tube sockets, because that is really the only way to know for sure if the listener can actually hear differences between different socket types, but I couldn't get two blind listeners to cooperate with the test....perhaps they were die-hard subjectivists. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back