The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 8, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #19,397 of 24,807
Quote:
Well, it seems that I've pre-ordered the SR009/SR727II from Elusivedisc today. 
blink.gif

ETA 1-3 weeks. 

Congratulations Peter! 
beerchug.gif

Sep 8, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #19,398 of 24,807
Bought mine recently blind too, best hi-fi buy ever! Perfect headphones imo :)

No need to buy a superpowerful amp to go along with them either imo since they are rather easy to drive.

Sep 8, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #19,399 of 24,807
Humm, so maybe we are not as few as it seems using the 009 with a stax amp. That makes that many deaf users among the stax mafia, eh :wink:. I am still looking forward to hearing something like the LL or Electra though (the T2 I can forget it I guess)...

Sep 8, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #19,400 of 24,807
Sep 8, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #19,401 of 24,807
Quote:

Thanks guys. Now the hard part...waiting a few weeks to actually get them. 

maybe you'll be surprised, as i was.

i ordered with 24 hour delivery option when ED's web site said theev 009 were 'out of stock'.............and was astonished when they arrived on my doorstop unexpectedly the next day (and luckily i was home at the time).................not saying it will happen to you, but you never know.

congrats...............they are wonderful

Sep 8, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #19,402 of 24,807
Quote:

maybe you'll be surprised, as i was.

i ordered with 24 hour delivery option when ED's web site said theev 009 were 'out of stock'.............and was astonished when they arrived on my doorstop unexpectedly the next day (and luckily i was home at the time).................not saying it will happen to you, but you never know.

congrats...............they are wonderful

Thanks for the heads up. Sadly I actually talked to the sales agent (ordered them over the phone) and while they have the silver SR727II in stock, they were working with StaxUSA to get the SR009s in a week or two. Oh well, at least I've got my other headphones/amps to keep me busy in the meantime. 

Sep 8, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #19,403 of 24,807
I'm heavily considering dipping my toes into the Stax scene and have a few questions. 

Would ~$350 for an original Stax Lambda (standard bias) in fairly good used condition be a good value for venturing into electrostatics? Would I be much better off going with something like the SR-207? It seems like the original lambda sound signature is held in higher regard by many people. 

Sep 9, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #19,404 of 24,807
I LOVE the original SR-Lambda's sound presentation (moreso than the SR-202; don't know how that compares to the SR-207) and lower clamping force, but $350 is a bit on the high side even with an SRD-7 (or variant thereof, usually the SRD-7/SB), and definitely overpriced without even a transformer box to go with it.

Sep 9, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #19,405 of 24,807
Quote:
I LOVE the original SR-Lambda's sound presentation (moreso than the SR-202; don't know how that compares to the SR-207) and lower clamping force, but $350 is a bit on the high side even with an SRD-7 (or variant thereof, usually the SRD-7/SB), and definitely overpriced without even a transformer box to go with it.

If I could manage to snag one with an SRD-7 around $300-320, would that be a decent value? I'm really trying to pinch my pennies here so a brand new Stax is not really an option. However, I also want to get a product that can outperform (at least in some ways) my current headphones. After going the dynamic and ortho route, I get the feeling that stats are the right technology for me.

Sep 9, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #19,406 of 24,807
The SR-Lambda used to go for about $250 but it seems the value has gone up in the last year which is understandable given the rarity and high regard given to the headphone.  It's an awesome headphone; you could easily stop upgrading forever after getting a Lambda variant.  It's better than pretty much every dynamic and ortho headphone ever and it's the best value in HP audio IMO.  I see a Richter quote in your sig so I can only assume you're a fan of classical...get them, you'll be thrilled.

Sep 9, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #19,407 of 24,807
Damn, I shouldn't read this thread. It reminds me that I need to upgrade from the T1S.

Sep 9, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #19,409 of 24,807
Quote:
Quoted from the eBay listing, this is the seller's "guarantee" or lack thereof:
"All Sales Are Final and As Is and Shown.  This means: All items are tested unless mentioned otherwise.  Electronics, due to time and age, are prone to failure from rough handling during shipment. We make no guarantee that they will work after shipment.  MOST will, some will die from parts being shaken, broken or jarred during shipment and because of age they can fail." 
Caveat Emptor!

Regardless of the added weasel-words, any item listed on eBay using eBay's  "Item condition: Used"  category  is defined by ebay as  "[size=small]The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended.[/size][size=small]"  [/size][size=small]So, if a buyer got this thing and it didn't work, or worked imperfectly he should expect the seller to refund his money and shipping, and pay for return shipping as well. If the thing doesn't work, or works improperly, and the  seller refuses a full refund, the buyer would very likely win an ebay / paypal dispute.[/size]

[size=small]A seller can choose to list an item WITHOUT a condition, in which case this wouldn't apply.[/size]

Sep 9, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #19,410 of 24,807
Quote:
Humm, so maybe we are not as few as it seems using the 009 with a stax amp. That makes that many deaf users among the stax mafia, eh :wink:. I am still looking forward to hearing something like the LL or Electra though (the T2 I can forget it I guess)...

There is at least one T2DIY in Japan and plenty of SRM-T2's...
smily_headphones1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back