The Stax Thread III
Oct 5, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #481 of 25,621
There are plenty of people buying 009's, so priced proportionately I think it would sell, if it sounds good of course.  

And with the depressed yen they can offer a lot of amp for the dollar.  Anyway, just speculating of course, so nice to think they might rock something interesting!

Oct 5, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #482 of 25,621
Well it is impossible to build the T2 at this point without a major redesign, too many crucial parts are out of production and there are no replacements.  Then we have the sheer madness of the design and that Stax lost money on each and every one of them back in 1994 at 360kYen.  That product also wasn't complete as the T2 should never have seen the light of day in that setup.  None of them will age well and the transformers in every last one will burn up eventually. 

On top if this we have the small issue that between the ECC99 and the EL34 there are pretty much no good tubes to use for this role. 

Oct 5, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #483 of 25,621
Well it is impossible to build the T2 at this point without a major redesign, too many crucial parts are out of production and there are no replacements.  Then we have the sheer madness of the design and that Stax lost money on each and every one of them back in 1994 at 360kYen.  That product also wasn't complete as the T2 should never have seen the light of day in that setup.  None of them will age well and the transformers in every last one will burn up eventually. 

On top if this we have the small issue that between the ECC99 and the EL34 there are pretty much no good tubes to use for this role. 

Hi Brigir:

Didn't the original Stax T-2s have long term reliability issues that have been "fixed" with Kevin's DIY version?

Oct 5, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #485 of 25,621
amplifier identical to the original. board layout and thermal design very different.

original power supply was undersized and unregulated. In fact all stax electrostatic
amplifiers other than the srm300 have unregulated power supplies.
My power supply has all 5 high voltage supplies and the bias supply fully regulated.
plus 2 regulated low voltage power supplies.

Parts are still available to build more, but lots of fake parts out there.
Another chassis run is in progress, I am not doing it.

Oct 5, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #486 of 25,621
  My understanding is the Kevin Gilmore redesigned the psu (with the original being severely undersized) and it is only the amp section that is essentially the same as the original, just laid out differently. But Spritzer (or KG) is better positioned to confirm.

Quote:
  amplifier identical to the original. board layout and thermal design very different.

original power supply was undersized and unregulated. In fact all stax electrostatic
My power supply has all 5 high voltage supplies and the bias supply fully regulated.

Thanks guys for the confirmation...that would explain the better long term reliability.

Oct 6, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #487 of 25,621
Hi everyboyy here, I have been reading almost all the thread (the 1600 pages previous one) but I have not found the answer to my question, so I am now asking to you expert.
I have an SRS-202II and now I have bought a new SRM -323s.
Which Headphone would pair better with it: the 202 that I already have or some other like 307, 407 (is the 507 is too bright with 323s) or some other?
I hope that Spitzer and other expert here would help me in choosing.:)

Oct 6, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #488 of 25,621

That pretty much covers it.  We still have parts to build DIY units but for a commercial product then that is not good enough. 

My main issues with the SRM-T2, having lived with it for a few months was the annoying hum ever present and how hot it ran.  The DIY one isn't exactly cool but at least it tries to get the heat away from sensitive parts but not the SRM-T2. 

Oct 6, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #489 of 25,621
Hi everyboyy here, I have been reading almost all the thread (the 1600 pages previous one) but I have not found the answer to my question, so I am now asking to you expert.
Which Headphone would pair better with it: the 202 that I already have or some other like 307, 407 (is the 507 is too bright with 323s) or some other?
I hope that Spitzer and other expert here would help me in choosing.
smily_headphones1.gif

I would just pair the 202 with it. From my experience they sound even better with a proper amp and may be all that you need.

Oct 7, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #495 of 25,621
I hope that Spitzer and other expert here would help me in choosing.:)

Any other contribute?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back