The Stax Thread III
Oct 4, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #466 of 25,621

THey do squeak and crackle around though . Even brand new out of the box. The 507 doesn't do this thankfully, or not noticeably as much. 

It infuriated me when listening to the 404LE or the Labnda pro though. Turn your head from one monitor to the other and you'd hear the frame squeak. 

Then I must be lucky as my 307 (same frame as 407) doesn't do this. Neither did my 404LE when I had it.

Oct 4, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #469 of 25,621

THey do squeak and crackle around though . Even brand new out of the box. The 507 doesn't do this thankfully, or not noticeably as much. 

It infuriated me when listening to the 404LE or the Labnda pro though. Turn your head from one monitor to the other and you'd hear the frame squeak. 

Then I must be lucky as my 307 (same frame as 407) doesn't do this. Neither did my 404LE when I had it.

My 207 don't squeak either, extremely smooth at the joints yet very, very solidly made. Never thought for one second that they were filmsy at all.  Well, actually, one of my pads keep opening up a bit at the edges but that's more of the adhesive tape's problem and pretty common for all Lambda series from what I've seen.

Oct 4, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #470 of 25,621
My SR-202 plastic creaks and feels a bit flimsy, but Miceblue's SR-207 does not creak or feel flimsy. The tradeoff though is that Mice's 207 is significantly heavier.

Oct 4, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #471 of 25,621
Sachu is bang on the money regards to some models squeaking. My 202 creak and squeak like hell even after applying some oil to the gimble joints to the headband assembly. 

Oct 4, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #472 of 25,621
  My SR-202 plastic creaks and feels a bit flimsy, but Miceblue's SR-207 does not creak or feel flimsy. The tradeoff though is that Mice's 207 is significantly heavier.

This is something I noticed right away when I first picked up the 207's. From all I've read I expected a Lambda-frame Stax to be very light, but they were actually much more hefty than I expected (and thanks to that, feel very solid in hand).  Not heavy enough to be of a nuisance like some of the orthos though of course.

Oct 5, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #475 of 25,621
Stax develops / markets products one at a time. Last we heard that had just released the new portable and were working on a new high end amp to go with the 009. It doesn't mean we might not see something else released before but my bet is on the T2 successor at this stage. For the cycle time, probably history can tell but I think it is product dependent and no less than 3-4 years.

Oct 5, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #477 of 25,621
Stax is run like any business, obviously they're not selling at loss, but they indeed don't seem to have very large margins, in particular with their amps (I think I read spritzer saying this).

Oct 5, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #478 of 25,621
For some reason I just can't see Stax building a T2 successor unless taking loss on each amp they sell despite them saying that is there goal in the future in that interview you conducted last year at the Stax HQ with Amos and Scott. Given how the current market, supply and demand for electrostatic amplifiers go.

Oct 5, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #479 of 25,621
Call it a T2 successor or not, I agree with Arnaud that STAX sees a need to build an amp for the 009.

It would be a bit of a disappointment if it wasn't at that T2 sort of level, but as long as it's a high end offering worthy of their flag ship headphone I'm keen to see what they come up  with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back