The Stax Thread III
Mar 10, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #1,681 of 25,558
LOL.
Thanks. Gracias. Obrigado. 
biggrin.gif

Now for some topic-related discussion:
I've seen mentions to stores that sell Stax in Tokyo and of course got a few more dealers from the Stax JP website.

But what are the cheapest places to buy? Or are the prices about the same everywhere?

I'm looking for SR007 or SR009. I don't know if stores always stock these models.

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #1,683 of 25,558
  LOL.
Thanks. Gracias. Obrigado. 
biggrin.gif

Now for some topic-related discussion:
I've seen mentions to stores that sell Stax in Tokyo and of course got a few more dealers from the Stax JP website.

But what are the cheapest places to buy? Or are the prices about the same everywhere?

I'm looking for SR007 or SR009. I don't know if stores always stock these models.

De nada! A few posts ago, DefQon mentioned that PriceJapan is the best bet for the higher end models. But oh the wait !

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #1,684 of 25,558
  De nada! A few posts ago, DefQon mentioned that PriceJapan is the best bet for the higher end models. But oh the wait !

Actually I did not express myself correctly in my previous post...

I am looking for a physical store to buy the Stax in Tokyo. A friend of mine will be there soon and would bring it to me.

Customs tax in Brazil are incredibly prohibitive...
frown.gif

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #1,685 of 25,558
Best place to find things in stock is Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara, which is the electronics district in Tokyo.  Fujiya Avic in Nakano is probably the best speciality store in Tokyo, and they have a lot of great things used as well, but they have fewer STAX items in stock at the moment, although they seem to have several sets of used 007As, and some other items.  But Yodobashi typically has the most in stock--lots of new 007As, and some of the other current Lambdas, but nothing vintage or discontinued.  The advantage of Yodobashi is they have tons of things audio and much of it you can listen to, so it's worth the visit.  I made many trips there during the last year and had a chance to listen to many different headphones.  They will have English speaking staff, as well as some who speak other languages, although I'm not sure about Portuguese, possible though.  If you have time, if your friend has time, it's worth making the rounds to the Audio and Disk Union stores in Ochanomizu, which are also great.  But Yodobashi in Akihabara is probably the most efficient stop for currently available items.

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #1,686 of 25,558
Thanks a lot for all the detailed info.
If you allow me, I'll send you a PM asking for more precise directions in case I can't find (or read) on their websites.

I would have no problems in asking this friend to bring a used 007 or 009, since he is into hi-fi stuff as well. But what are the most common issues with the 007/009 he should be aware of? Any specific parts that tend to crack/get loose due to extended usage? Besides the visually obvious such as dents, scratches, worn-out pads, etc.

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #1,687 of 25,558
Sure to PM, am happy to help as best I can.  The used gear at Fujiya Avic and Audio Union are generally in good cosmetic shape and having sold stuff there, I know they put everything through the tests.  But these are the 007As, not the 007 mk. 1s.  You probably won't find any used 009s in stock, they tend to appear on Yahoo auction.  But anything used in stock you can take a look at, so you can judge for yourself.

Mar 10, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #1,689 of 25,558
Are the 404le's the only ones with the red ringed drivers? I saw a pair of brown 404 lambdas with red ring drivers and am confused.

SR-404's have red ringed drivers. Red ringed drivers don't mean anything as it's just the metal ring holding the dust filter onto outer stator assembly. I think the LNS also has red ringed dust filter rings but I'am unsure as I never pulled that Lambda apart.

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #1,690 of 25,558
  SR-404's have red ringed drivers. Red ringed drivers don't mean anything as it's just the metal ring holding the dust filter onto outer stator assembly. I think the LNS also has red ringed dust filter rings but I'am unsure as I never pulled that Lambda apart.

The LNS has gold coloured metal rings.

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #1,693 of 25,558
Mar 11, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #1,694 of 25,558
  just tighten the screw dude.  

Ha! No, I am serious about selling this. The screw is not "loose" as in not tight, a bit of the ring around it is broken. That's all.
Pictures are up, so you can take a look yourself. Quality is crappy but ok to get an impression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back