The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Jul 11, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #1,951 of 2,089
What is a modern upgrade to these? 1000-1500usd range

There's no straight forward answer, it depends on what aspect you like the most about these. That's why people usually keep a 580/600/650 even alongside more expensive things.

Some ZMF headphones or a Focal Clear might be good ones to look at though.

Jul 11, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #1,952 of 2,089
There's no straight forward answer, it depends on what aspect you like the most about these. That's why people usually keep a 580/600/650 even alongside more expensive things.

Some ZMF headphones or a Focal Clear might be good ones to look at though.
Cool thank you. Didn’t like the clears but more so because of the clipping

Going to audition auteurs and Aeolus tomorrow - those should be close. auteur more so I think

Jul 12, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #1,954 of 2,089
So now that Sennheiser has been SOLD to some damn hearing aid company, who seems to have no interest in supplying parts via the internet, does anyone know where I can get some good old stock HD 650 cables and earcup grilles for my aging 580's? :)

Jul 12, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #1,955 of 2,089
So now that Sennheiser has been SOLD to some damn hearing aid company, who seems to have no interest in supplying parts via the internet, does anyone know where I can get some good old stock HD 650 cables and earcup grilles for my aging 580's? :)
Well, never mind...I see their website does have now the 650 cables, but the earcup grilles are nowhere to be found.....

Jul 14, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #1,956 of 2,089
Well, never mind...I see their website does have now the 650 cables, but the earcup grilles are nowhere to be found.....
I found their spare parts site was never accurate for me, I would call and they end up having them. That was before they were sold though

Jul 14, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #1,957 of 2,089
What is a modern upgrade to these? 1000-1500usd range
600/650/6xx and a good amp - otl tube or class a solid state with a stiff power supply.

Some people say Focal Clear, but I have no personal experience.

The current iteration of the Audeze LCD-X is pretty neutral and relatively easy to drive, but really a somewhat different animal. Nevertheless, an unqualified recommendation in your price range.

YMMV, just my $.02, IMHO, etc., etc.

Jul 16, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #1,958 of 2,089
Found some more opinions of the early HD580 and HD580 Jubilee over at BASF. There is very little on the internet about these headphones especially the Jubilee. This thread is actually quite derogatory about the sound of these headphones (especially the Jubilee). The reasons for this might be:
a) listened to worn/poor examples of the HD580
b) didn't listen long enough to the examples
c) reviewers main headphone had completely different sound signature making these sound rough
I do agree with some of the reviewers assertions however, particularly about every version having a unique sound and that the HD600 sound is not virtually identical to the Jubilee. Apparently we're a weird cult of HD580 obsessives.

Jul 16, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #1,959 of 2,089
Cool thank you. Didn’t like the clears but more so because of the clipping

Going to audition auteurs and Aeolus tomorrow - those should be close. auteur more so I think
To follow up. Turns out the clear MG I tried initially was broken.

Trying a fully functioning one was quite a different story. Very slammy and sharp. Nothing like the HD580 and did not like it at all. STOP SHOUTING CLEARS 😅

Jul 16, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #1,960 of 2,089
Found some more opinions of the early HD580 and HD580 Jubilee over at BASF. There is very little on the internet about these headphones especially the Jubilee. This thread is actually quite derogatory about the sound of these headphones (especially the Jubilee). The reasons for this might be:
c) reviewers main headphone had completely different sound signature making these sound rough
I do agree with some of the reviewers assertions however, particularly about every version having a unique sound and that the HD600 sound is not virtually identical to the Jubilee. Apparently we're a weird cult of HD580 obsessives.

There's a lot of unit variance going on too. I have two HD580s, both with raised name plates and black silk screens, yet they sound nothing alike. It's not earpad condition or revision either, I've controlled for that. I think this easily explains a big part of why people have different opinions on the same models.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #1,961 of 2,089

Clamp must play a factor, as I noticed when slapping them ol' black paper badboys into the newer chassis.
580 fan I am indeed. These have the CC copper ring as well.
Not sure if I ever need an upgrade. Was thinking clear but seems like post above, not too happy with such an upgrade hmmm

Anyway, there she is
thumbnail_IMG_20220703_213900439.jpg

I generally prefer more clamp, and this case it works out well to bring the drivers a tad closer.

Jul 26, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #1,963 of 2,089
I'm sad that the original pre 2021 revision pads from sennheiser aren't going to be available anymore. The new revision just doesn't seem to capture the magic tonality of my 580 Black Silk like the OG's did. The mids are a little recessed and the treble quality is generally worse. Thinking about trying some ZMF's now since I dont enjoy the new pads as much.

Jul 27, 2022 at 6:07 AM Post #1,964 of 2,089
I'm sad that the original pre 2021 revision pads from sennheiser aren't going to be available anymore. The new revision just doesn't seem to capture the magic tonality of my 580 Black Silk like the OG's did. The mids are a little recessed and the treble quality is generally worse. Thinking about trying some ZMF's now since I dont enjoy the new pads as much.

Those weren't even the original version. They changed them in 2017 when the HD660S came out. Not sure how those compare to the oldest ones though.

Jul 30, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #1,965 of 2,089
I like the Dekoni hybrids on all my 300 ohm Sennheisers, especially the 580.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back